No announcement yet.

Irma....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

loaded a friends truck and trailer with roofing supplies and food/beverages last night,they should make Marathon sometime this afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
      loaded a friends truck and trailer with roofing supplies and food/beverages last night,they should make Marathon sometime this afternoon.
      You didn't want to go and help them with the roofing?

Comment

Are pictures of Evinrudes allowed on this forum?

Comment

who drove those metal panel in next to the concrete, and when?
          was it to control the movement after it gave way?

Comment

Well, I now live on the beach!

First pic taken today. Other pic's were from 1-15-18:

Still have the davit bases that need to be jack hammered smaller. Darn near tipped the excavator over..

[url=https://postimg.org/image/u6vwh5jab/][img]

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-16-2018, 08:13 PM.
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Is each persons wall a separate unit or how do they tie your wall back into your neighbor's walls?
              Dennis
              Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Originally posted by dray0151 View Post
                Is each persons wall a separate unit or how do they tie your wall back into your neighbor's walls?
                Actually, mine was installed in the early 1980's. Vacant lots on both sides. They initially put a "slab", as a return on each side.

The pic below, it's a tongue and groove system. They simply "jet" them into the canal bottom(with the help of the crane) and all slabs actually slip in together making one interlock with the next. This slab is one of maybe 4 in-damaged and was under the patio.

All should have been able to be removed this way IF they didn't fail..

The heavy "wires" you see is HD re-bar. It's initially tied into the concrete wall cap, extends into the back yard, then they dump a couple of yards of concrete to secure it. The "dead-man" is probably 6-8' deep placed approx. every 5' or so...(not sure exactly)...

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-16-2018, 08:49 PM.
                Scott

Comment

Do they seal the tongue and groves with something to keep any water from invading? I'm sure they are probably tight but water gets in everywhere.
                  Dennis
                  Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Originally posted by dray0151 View Post
                    Do they seal the tongue and groves with something to keep any water from invading? I'm sure they are probably tight but water gets in everywhere.
                    There is/was a mesh attached between each slab. I guess to allow water to exit but no dirt. Looked like landscaping, mesh material you'd put under mulch but is pretty heavy duty.

At the time of the install decades ago, I didn't see the process as I had to work. Learning a bunch now. Dunno if you can tell, but most of the failures were about 3' below the cap. The additional 5' of slab (most under ground) was fine with most of the others..

That machine snapped the slabs like an oreo cookie...Un-real...
                    Scott

Comment

Their moving their front end loader back onto the barge using my OLD davit pads(about 4.5' around and friggin HEAVY) to support and keep the loader from going in the drink! UN-REAL!!!

Then, after being on the barge, picked up the bases and put them on the barge.

Finished installing the last couple of slabs from the barge.

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-19-2018, 09:03 AM.
                      Scott

Comment

What is the guy in the water behind the wall doing?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                          What is the guy in the water behind the wall doing?
                          They have a pretty big water / jet pump on a float(probably a 10 HP Honda). He's jetting in the slabs, blowing dirt out from under slab as they work it down into the canal bottom.

Two guys doing that (a pretty low water level easier for them).

They have about a 5' long, 3-4" diameter pipe on the end and that ENTIRE "wand" was under water. Pumps some serious amounts of water..

IE the slabs are that deep into the canal bottom...

**Re-looking at my pic, the walls already in. In this pic he's putting in a material that allows water to flow out inbetween the slab's but NO dirt. That material is then covered inside the wall with a water BASED "tar" . So there's numerous "black stripes" of that material currently at each seam...
                          Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-19-2018, 09:50 AM.
                          Scott

Comment

looking at the pic it looks like that section he is working at is lower than the rest for some reason.
                            Is it?

I was wondering how they could jet in a slab that wide.
                            I would have thought they would use more than one or two jets to get it down evenly.
                            I guess you just have to have the guys to keep them moving back and forth

do the slabs have the holes inthem for the tie backs or do they drill them after installing
                            Last edited by 99yam40; 01-19-2018, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                              looking at the pic it looks like that section he is working at is lower than the rest for some reason.
                              Is it?

I was wondering how they could jet in a slab that wide.
                              I would have thought they would use more than one or two jets to get it down evenly.
                              I guess you just have to have the guys to keep them moving back and forth

do the slabs have the holes inthem for the tie backs or do they drill them after installing
                              The 4 shorter slabs are for the cantilever dock / patio (the one that fell in the water with me on it).. It's lower (they could have made it higher but I have to step down for my boat anyway) and wanted it just like the old one...

The bucket machine holds the slabs up with two re-bar hooks in each slab. Then they use that one large jet to blast canal bottom away. They jiggle the slabs and it slowly drops down to their string line.

Every other slab has a "dead man" (yard or #? of concrete) set into the ground (in-land and deep). Re-bar is buried in that and that runs up to the cap.

As there's already dead men in there already, (every other one), they NOW use the adjacent(new) slabs to put the cap/rebar above. The cap is formed (with re-bar-pic's to follow Monday) above the slabs and extend down (I'm guessing 5" down BELOW the slabs)- Once all the re-bar is in, ran to where the dead man is poured, all that concrete links EVERYTHING together.

The slabs NOW have sealed re-bar in them, the old ones did not(thus all the rust inside). The cap is 7,000 PSI concrete as well

So the cap ties everything together with covered re-bar back inland and deep to poured concrete. The old dead men NEVER MOVED. The slabs failed and blew out about 3' down from the cap... There was still 5' of slab(some very broke) down past the water line buried into the canal bottom..

Post image is down right now so can't add any pic's.
                              Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-19-2018, 08:13 PM.
                              Scott

Comment

Thanks for the answers.
                                never thought the dead mans tied to the cap

were the old ones not rusted?
                                how do they connect back to them?

Comment

Working...
                                X