No announcement yet.

Irma....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should be the dead men, but I do not understand the extra rebar hanging around

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
      What is the second pic?
      The second pic is the dead man re-bar (3/4") in it's new home waiting for 1.5 yards of concrete..
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        should be the dead men, but I do not understand the extra rebar hanging around
        Yep, it IS the old re-bar for the dead men(still buried and attached to the old concrete)

Some they yanked, some got buried (friggin lazy), the rest I cut off once the concrete hardened.

(They back filled maybe half the dead men)
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-24-2018, 04:46 PM.
        Scott

Comment

I would have not wanted the old stuff in there.
          way too much junk that may get in the way later on during a different project

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            I would have not wanted the old stuff in there.
            way too much junk that may get in the way later on during a different project
            Agreed 300%. I pulled some old timbers (apparently from the ORIGINAL WALL) and cut all that other crap out.

We had a strong wind from the north making a very low tide yesterday. *That low a tide, I won't even go out with the boat..

Took advantage of that and "water jetted" and removed old sea-wall pieces, coral, a piece of wall with RE-BAR sticking out of it (sticking UP).

Spent about 5 hours in the water (about 67F) and also jetted out some VERY shallow sand. Lots of crap. The big stuff I couldn't lift,
            got rolled and placed up against the sea-wall (under where the cantilever dock will be) and also at the ends of the wall (no where near where my prop/LU could get to).

Biggest piece was maybe 2' by 5" thick (old sea-wall)..
            Scott

Comment

Todays pic (before the cantilever dock work should start tomorrow):

Scott

Comment

Some progress, mostly back filled.

Pic of where the cantilever dock will go back in. It's "cut out", ready for forms, re-bar, etc. Maybe the end of next week.

Boat came home yesterday...Started right up after months of sitting!! Got a bath too (the boat)!
                (PIA "getting to the boat". Extension ladder in the canal, then a 2x6 stretching between land
                and ladder wrung)..

2-4-18:

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 02-05-2018, 07:15 AM.
                Scott

Comment

Looks good. Those rods in earlier photos were they permanent and buried under the back fill? They didn't seem to be super strong or equally spaced.
                  Just interested as I need to do some work on my wall, that is 3 meters and half a meter up from the sea wall. It may have some water deep at the foundations. It is typically a vertical timber wall, that warped and is leaning away, consuming my the packing sand and the pool pavers. Need a less intrusive solution, thinking off large screw in anchors, if there is such a solution over here down under.

Comment

never hurts to add something if you can tye it to the wall some how
                    Last edited by 99yam40; 02-05-2018, 10:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                      Looks good. Those rods in earlier photos were they permanent and buried under the back fill? They didn't seem to be super strong or equally spaced.
                      Those rods running from the cap into the yard are part of the "dead men".

The old ones were made/covered with a plastic cover to prevent rust (which none rusted or broke). The new one's are also covered in the same material. Their attached to (actually inside the concrete cap attached to the cap re-bar). They then go in-land and downward. Also with a bent end on that end, their then covered in about 1.5 yards of concrete. Every other 5' slab is attached to the dead men:

Dead man 3/4" rebar attached to the cap:

You can just see the re-bar sticking out of the concrete and how deep (guessing 4-5' below grade).

It isn't going anywhere.. BTW, the old dead men did not rust / fail at all. The old slabs / re-bar rusted out at the water line...

If you look close, you can see the new re-bar (straight sticking out of the concrete). You can also see the old one, a bit bent up, later cut off.

BTW, looking down the cap, it appeared to me to not be straight. The neighbors sea-wall definitely goes inward.

I put a super tight string on the outside of my new cap, the full 80'. It's well with-in 1/2" total run out (super straight!!!)
                      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 02-06-2018, 06:53 AM.
                      Scott

Comment

Scott

Comment

Re-bar (3/4"), is attached to the inner cap re-bar(inside concrete), then run in-land (also bent end on the other end) and approx. 1'5 yards of concrete is poured.
                          Every other slab has the dead man attached. That concrete is approx. 4-5' below ground level and as you can see goes down ward.

Note, the old "dead men" never failed / rusted. The re-bar in the actual slabs rotted away at the water line, low tides, old age, weight of davit bases / davits all contributed to the failure..

Scott

Comment

• Also, the boss (checks on the days progress), when asked, said I could add additional re-bar to the pad / patio after their guys are done
                            (before concrete pours).

I have some 3/4" bar I'll be installing (about 4' long), in the area where the cantilever meets the sea-wall (where the cantilever broke off).

Also, I have permission to install two pieces of PVC pipe in the patio retaining wall. Two faucets (with slightly smaller PVC) will simply slide
                            thru that PVC (NO drilling for me!).

Down here, we have regular city water and re-cycled water-called "dual water" (for washing cars/boats, no drinking). I'll have both lines
                            with 1/4 turn nozzles installed in that spot (once the retaining wall is in and done).

3/4" PVC pipe for re-cycled water, 1/2" for fresh water.
                            Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 02-06-2018, 07:36 AM.
                            Scott

Comment

• Delete my comment, I wasn't paying attention, distracted by the term dead man.
                              Those supports do look substantial. Now let's hope you don't ever experience such a severe hurricane that moves this.

Comment

Delete my comment, I wasn't paying attention, distracted by the term dead man.
                                Those supports do look substantial. Now let's hope you don't ever experience such a severe hurricane that moves this.
                                No problem...

As long as this thread is, the failure, besides the above reasons, the wall was 33 years old. Apparently, they DO have a life span of 25 years.
                                This was just learned by MANY folks down here (including myself).

I'll be long gone (dust to dust) when this thing fails in another 33 plus years...

Doing a bunch of up-grades I've been putting off so it'll (wall, sprinkler system, plumbing, electrical, etc) be better in the end!
                                Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X