No announcement yet.

Irma....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How well does a generator work under water? Is there a snorkel attached?

Does the water feel a tad tingly?

Comment

It's a submersible...

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      How well does a generator work under water? Is there a snorkel attached?

Does the water feel a tad tingly?
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
        There's a good chance the storm will track through my neck of the woods, Tampa Bay. Though being a native Floridian, I know from experience not to count on the storm until it makes its turn north from Cuba.

With that said, I'm still on the fence as to what I should do with my boat IF the storm is tracking my way. Its trailered in a secured outdoor facility. The concern of it being tossed is possible. But my greatest concern is the flying debris. A piece of any type of debris thats flying through the air at 100+mph is gonna do serious damage if it connects with my boat. I've got a couple days to brainstorm though.
        Once news broke this morning of Irma tracking to Tampa I trailered my boat out of storage facility and parked it on the side of my parents house. Dug two 4ft holes in the ground, one under trailer tongue amd the other under transom. Dropped in a cinder block into each hole with a rope tied to each. Filled holes. Forward rope tied around tongue, the other tied to transom rings. Best solution I could come up with.
        Jason
        1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Once news broke this morning of Irma tracking to Tampa I trailered my boat out of storage facility and parked it on the side of my parents house. Dug two 4ft holes in the ground, one under trailer tongue amd the other under transom. Dropped in a cinder block into each hole with a rope tied to each. Filled holes. Forward rope tied around tongue, the other tied to transom rings. Best solution I could come up with.
          Yep, we're a speed bump for ya...

Anyway, fill the hull up partially with water.

My neighbor did this with his, 18'er(?), while on a boat lift.

I pulled the drain plug (once the storm passed), water ran out for at least 45
          minutes... Boat was fine...
          Scott

Comment

[QUOTE=fairdeal;146677]These may be the last photos I post of my F225... the F90 Mercaha may do better under the house.
            But even if either survives the wind, there's the possibility of a 10 foot storm surge

They are talking a 15 foot storm surge now I think
            Dennis
            Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

[QUOTE=dray0151;146748]
              Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
              These may be the last photos I post of my F225... the F90 Mercaha may do better under the house.
              But even if either survives the wind, there's the possibility of a 10 foot storm surge

They are talking a 15 foot storm surge now I think
              When Charlie came thru SW Florida(smaller storm but just as strong), they were forecasting 15-20 storm surge. It wasn't 10-15 miles from my home.

I was still working at the PD, but my neighbor said canal water came maybe 2' over the seawall.... (maybe 4' surge total)....

Hopefully it's not what they predict.

Good luck to everyone...
              Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                Yep, we're a speed bump for ya...

Anyway, fill the hull up partially with water.

My neighbor did this with his, 18'er(?), while on a boat lift.

I pulled the drain plug (once the storm passed), water ran out for at least 45
                minutes... Boat was fine...
                I had planned to fill the bilge before coming up with the idea of securing boat to underground blocks. My concern of filling up the bilge is the tremendous amount off added weight to the trailer springs. 1,000+ lbs of water weight might do damage. I still might add some water, just not fill it up.

And I'm hoping you're not only a speed bump, but also a bump moving the storm east or west.
                Jason
                1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Published in the book "Total Loss" by Jack Foote and also in Sail! February 1981is a masterful account of the loss of the ketch "Island Princess" in hurricane Alex 40miles south of Santiago de Cuba. Skippered by Barry Gittelman and 3 crew all survived. Estimated wind speed was 175kn when they took to the liferaft.
                  Gittelman said afterwards "we are sailors, and it won't keep us from the sea. We will go back with a few lessons learned. We learned about liferafts, about survival, about what it takes to sink a boat, but most of all we learned where not to be when. We learned to stay the hell out of the Caribbean during the hurricane season".

Comment

I had planned to fill the bilge before coming up with the idea of securing boat to underground blocks. My concern of filling up the bilge is the tremendous amount off added weight to the trailer springs. 1,000+ lbs of water weight might do damage. I still might add some water, just not fill it up.

And I'm hoping you're not only a speed bump, but also a bump moving the storm east or west.
                    Cut up a couple of 2x4s to fit between the axle and frame, that'll keep all the weight off the springs.

As of right now it misses us (off shore), but that makes storm surge worse

Good luck..
                    Scott

Comment

anyword from the Marathon FL area?

Comment

Eye tracked right over Fairdeal's house, just west of Marathon.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                          Eye tracked right over Fairdeal's house, just west of Marathon.
                          My friend has a place in the same town and 99% of the houses are all on stilts.

If the tides rises a bunch, he'll have a heck of a time tying the boat from floating away, or if tied down, "sinking tied down"...

Seems it's now headed to Collier County, bout 45 minutes south of me, then slightly inward (good for me with surge-dirty side).

Canals about 2' lower than normal low tide, gusts to about 60...

Jason, you should be in better shape NOW with it headed due NORTH..
                          Scott

Comment

That water may come back in a big hurry when the wind shifts! Happened on the Outer Banks and flooded Manteo...

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                              That water may come back in a big hurry when the wind shifts! Happened on the Outer Banks and flooded Manteo...
                              I know the last big storm down there (went down there to help), water was up to about 4', (friend has a chain link fence), and all kinds of stuff floated by and as flat as it is there, should drain pretty quick...
                              Scott

Comment

Lil breezy out there, 131 MPH at Marco.

Just went to generator power.....
                                Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X