X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
    Thanks for the answers.
    never thought the dead mans tied to the cap

were the old ones not rusted? Actually, no... That re-bar was coated in some thick plastic (looks like thick plastic) and THAT RE-BAR is probably twice as thick as what was in the slabs.

Remember too, their tied to the cap(way above the water line 99% of the time), then go down and inland some into a glob of concrete. Between the coating, extra thickness, really very little salt water access to them, their still like new(3 decades later)..

how do they connect back to them?
    The old / originals are not used for the new installation. they cut off the re-bar and simply install NEW coated(HD) rebar into the cap, then tie into NEW CONCRETE dead-men poured at the same time as the cap

I'll take pic's Monday (when it's supposed to be done) and you'll see...

*I saw them doing one a couple weeks ago two blocks over and met the guy that does them. He's doing mine as well(with a helper).

Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

OK I did not know they where still going to pull the old stuff out since they did not do that already

Comment

OK I did not know they were still going to pull the old stuff out since they did not do that already
        They pulled everything, slabs, patio, davit bases, etc, Monday.

The old dead men stay as their not in the way of anything and way underground...

All the old concrete is gone.. Probably took 3 of those large steel containers (a BUNCH!) total...
        Scott

Comment

then they will not be pulling something the dead mans are tied into?
          I thought you said they were tied into concrete.
          or how are the dead mans put into the ground?

Comment

What were the ramps for the loader made of?

Comment

then they will not be pulling something the dead mans are tied into?
              I thought you said they were tied into concrete.
              or how are the dead mans put into the ground?
              The dead men, isn't really tied into anything. The ground is dug back away from the wall and deep. The re-bar angles back and DOWN.

The concrete is simply poured atop the re-bar. I don't know (now) exactly how much concrete is used for each one. The soil (roughly think, 7' of so) is put back atop it.
              Their not going anywhere.

But NONE of the old ones didn't fail, the bar did get bent when the OLD CAP collapsed but didn't pull outwards.

It's easier for them to replace with all new. * Code may require more concrete now (dunno yet), the NEW cap will be TWO inches wider.

Re the ramps, they were simply very thick and maybe 18" wide wood bars, (coming on land to start):

Leaving, he put my huge davit bases in the ground for support, and the wood and ran the machine over that. A nail biter indeed:

Here's where the old cantilever dock was( the lower four slabs)- Lower than the cap and will be the same wit the new deck:

Here's pic's of the two guys lining up the slabs while supported by the machine. You can see the floating water jet machine in the water floating and the BIG wand the guys are using to blow canal bottom away so the slab drops in. You'd be surprised how many times, even with the jet, that slab has to be tugged up and down before finally getting in place.

You can also see a long chain attached to the top slab "hooks" to keep them from moving as they work their way down. Once all slabs were installed, the chain/come along come off. It apparently keeps the other slabs from moving as they install slabs further down...

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-20-2018, 06:54 AM.
              Scott

Comment

BTW, their barge is powered / pushed by two 60 HP, 4 stroke Yamaha's (on a separate rig tied to the main barge):

Scott

Comment

that wood must be some strong stuff to hold up that rig

Comment

Most of their stuff including Yams look to be fairly new. Wonder what the backlog is now?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                      Most of their stuff including Yams look to be fairly new. Wonder what the backlog is now?
                      Yep, that rig is new. SW Florida got hit hard "sea-wall" wise. Their working 6 days a week since then and last I heard, have 3 YEARS of work to do.

It seems like all the sea-wall places got together and said, "hey, lets jack up prices a bunch!"

Their doing a good job but nickel and dime you for everything...

I lost at least 1-1.5' of water next to the wall (with blown out dirt/ construction muck, etc). Their supposed to dredge that back to regular depth.
                      I used to use the davits before the boat lift and my boat(same) had plenty of water up against PVC attached to the cap (close to the davits). Never had a
                      depth issue. Water was about up to my chest right up next to the wall (and dropping very quickly after that)..
                      Scott

Comment

3 year back log, seems some others could drop down there and make some money

Comment

Yep, but there's SOOO much equipment/ man power. This company NOW has two separate crews for each "operation" .

I believe there's 4 companies in the local 5 counties. And there's so MANY damaged walls... I saw ONE worse than mine, but all the same procedure. And if you have a pool, more $ as they work mostly from the water, barge, loader, NO skid steer(no room), carting dirt back and forth by barge, etc...

I hope to be done in a month if they keep on schedule. Once their done, I'll be real busy with water lines, sprinklers, electric, fences, re-sodding (will probably pay someone to lay that).
                          Scott

Comment

Pic's from yesterdays work; "dead men", forms, caps.

Forms got removed today, No work for a week until the concrete hardens up more..

The "dead men" is 3/4" coated, rebar. The old dead-man re-bar was 1/2".

Approx 1.5 yards of concrete:

Cap being poured / finished:

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-23-2018, 09:36 PM.
                            Scott

Comment

Impressive! I'm sure the money earned was well deserved with all the equipment, men and knowledge required.
                              Dennis
                              Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

What is the second pic?

Comment

Working...
                                X