No announcement yet.

Irma....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at the weather site, you are close to 70mph, gusting.

Comment

when the wind shifted here on the banks for Irene my canal that is usually about 8ft deep was about a foot deep and maybe 3 ft wide.
      in less than 30 min I had 2 1/2 feet of water in my garage.
      we figured 7 ft refilled the canal the next two feet topped the bulkhead.the next foot made it to the house. the last 2.5 feet filled my garage.

took maybe 30 min.

and someplaces it was way faster as the entrance to the harbor is only 40 ft wide or so.

Comment

The canal behind me has dropped probably 3-4' from low tide. The eye is about an hour from here right now BUT it's headed slightly inland AND has speeded up.

IE, being faster, and further inland, (and I'm at 8.5' elevation from mean high tide) I should be good... Fingers crossed...

I'm soo glad I strapped the boat to lift I-BEAMS. It'd already be gone...
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
          The canal behind me has dropped probably 3-4' from low tide. The eye is about an hour from here right now BUT it's headed slightly inland AND has speeded up.

IE, being faster, and further inland, (and I'm at 8.5' elevation from mean high tide) I should be good... Fingers crossed...

I'm soo glad I strapped the boat to lift I-BEAMS. It'd already be gone...
          Keep coming with the updates...strapped mine down before I left as well.
          Everyone I know there has left town, so I have no one to do a visual tomorrow. More concerned about my 40 year old house that's just been remodeled.

Comment

1114 se 41st st

Comment

Closer to downtown?

Anyway, just DOWN GRADED TO a CAT TWO! 110 winds, should help with the surge.

Neighbors lost some screen material, lots of palm frowns. Still another 1.5 or so till the eye's here..
              Scott

Comment

Would be nice if it doesn't rip my roof trusses off my cement walls and dump a foot of rain in my living room. Boat at the bottom of canal I can deal with...just buy another motor

Comment

I got a large 12 year old cage and just had it rescreened with that big dollar gorilla stuff. Cost me almost double. Main concern is roof, I'm about 10' above high tide

Comment

I'm 8.5'. The eye is east of I75.

Fifth Ave in Naples has about 1' of water but I think their elevation is WAY BELOW ours and right near the Gulf..

Hope Fairdeal is ok...
                    Scott

Comment

I'm fine - thanks to my wife insisting we drive to her house in NJ last Wednesday...

Sounds like all my tools & stuff in my shop in BPK were likely submerged - and if the boats are still there, both outboards.
                      Probably didn't rise to the level of the living space - the floor is 14 feet above MLW -

but I have no idea if the roof & walls are intact

This is a photo posted an hour ago by a weather guy who was on BPK for the storm:
                      the main highway - US 1 - in front of the local Mercury dealer/boatyard

Comment

W0w!!

A sidewalk sale!

Hopefully you won't pass your boats on the way home...

Fingers crossed..
                        Scott

Comment

Rough stuff for sure. Interested to see the condition of the boats and house. Didn't hear the peak gusts for BPK. I wonder if the boat or concrete anchors won the fight. I assume most of your stuff was insured? Probably including an obscene deductible.

Comment

Looks like you are in the eye wall Scott. A few minutes after 7pm.
                            Hopefully your cable connection still works...

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                              Rough stuff for sure. Interested to see the condition of the boats and house. Didn't hear the peak gusts for BPK. I wonder if the boat or concrete anchors won the fight. I assume most of your stuff was insured? Probably including an obscene deductible.

It's funny, about a half hour ago, stuck my head out the ft door to check rain/wind (wanted to hopefully check the height of the canal), for the 2-3 seconds the ft door was cracked open, "Sam's place", (directly across the street from me), he had ONE TALL palm tree, came crashing down!!! Didn't hit the house, landed in the driveway, so that's another project for the Poulan...

Never got outside, it was way too windy/rainy...

As for insurance, nope, cancelled it (both flood, boat, bike and reg house-truck insurance is mandatory), MANY years ago. Put one $2,000 claim in 32 years...

(Side note, house has been updated over the years, plumbing, roof, A/C, electrical box, etc..).

My boats still on the lift (just fine), neighbors large boat canopy, still on!!!

With the storm headed inland and lowered, surge into the house is WAY lowered.... I'll snap some pic's in the am, they say with still 35 MPH winds in the am, water is still pushing up...

As I posted earlier, bet it's NOT 2' over the seawall....(got another spare 5').

The eye JUST skirted us but that's about when the palm tree came down....
                              Scott

Comment

Just checked the canal level and top off the generator. Canal water is normal height.

Did find 2/3's my seawall buckled out, flat dock caved in a bit, davits and 3 yards of concrete each on their side, f.....!
                                Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X