No announcement yet.

Yammi pops out of water in reverse when gassed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoping the OP didn't try using excessive reverse (3500 rpm+) while docking. That's how things get broken. Usually a result of panic. All the old farts told me early on if you are going to hit something, at least hit it at slow speed.

Comment

When docking, I normally never touch the throttle. Only the shifter bumping the engine in and out of gear while manuevering. In this case, I did need to give it some gas in reverse due to the strong current. But like I said, my eyes were not on the tach rather my surroundings getting into the slip. I will check this weekend when in open water where I can try this safely to get a good read om the tach value if this happens again.

Comment

Stephens46 is going to try as well...

Comment

it AINT a brake. it is reverse.
          next thing yall will wanna have turn signals.
          the up relief valve will open and allow the motor to raise if up pressure on the lower exceeds the valve spring. it is that stupidly simple.
          does not matter if you just whacked a log,an oysterbed or a parking lot strip or the boat ramp.
          the drive comes up and when the obstruction/pressure is released it drops back on the memory piston and all is good.
          non T&T engines can do the same unless they get kicked up hard enough to set the tilt lock.

Comment

I'm gonna take your word on this....slamming it into reverse at 3500 RPM's don't sound like a very healthy thing for me or my motor!

Comment

you do not have to slam it into reverse, just put into reverse and then throttle it up

Comment

Whatever....who needs to do this???

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
                  Whatever....who needs to do this???
                  Someone that is fixing to get in a bad situation if he does not do it, since there are no brakes on boats.

Or he just slipped or fell against the controls
                  Last edited by 99yam40; 10-27-2017, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    Someone that is fixing to get in a bad situation if he does not do it,

+1 ^^^.

Stuff happens, whether it be current, wind, etc...
                    Scott
                    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I use reverse for some "braking/maneuvering" but thus far haven't had to do any emergency stops or bad situations....lucky I guess?

Comment

I have not had to either, but as rodbolt referred to, if someone is going to run over you it is time to do something if you see it coming

Comment

As the Op originally posted, I can easily see swift current, while trying to dock a reason to use reverse hard..

Especially if it's moving sideways.

That's why you have reverse AND the "design" to use it at a higher RPM.
                          Scott
                          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

hard throttle should push a lot of exhaust bubbles into the prop in reverse causing less bite (something Panasonic posted about in a different thread), so the initial jump into reverse in clean water maybe the most force it can produce.

Or as long as there is forward motion still the prop may still get clean water to push around

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                              hard throttle should push a lot of exhaust bubbles into the prop in reverse causing less bite (something Panasonic posted about in a different thread), so the initial jump into reverse in clean water maybe the most force it can produce.

Or as long as there is forward motion still the prop may still get clean water to push around
                              That's probably what happened to Rodbolt. From what he described he was moving at a fast clip and went hard to reverse....still had clean water hitting the prop from the fwd motion.

I suspect it would be much harder to get the engine to pop up when going hard Rev from a stand still. The prop is immediately into the exhaust gases...not to mention props on outboards are designed for going forward not backwards...

Comment

Ok guys. I checked this today. I put the engine in reverse in idle and slowly throttled up. Anything above 1500rpms and the engine comes out of the water.
                                So it looks like this is an actual problem.
                                What am I looking at here as possible suspect parts?

Comment

Working...
                                X