No announcement yet.

Yammi pops out of water in reverse when gassed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am still here. This is new reversing for me as I have switched marinas. I am now in Shark River, NJ and the river currents are quite strong. This was my 1st time going into the slip. I did not notice the tach as I was trying to back into the slip against a strong current and wind. Maybe slamming down was not accurate. Everything happened so fast I only noticed that the engine raised and lowered by itself. I will check it again this week and pay more attention. Either way, I had never seen it do this before and it startled me.But it seems that the general consensus is that this MAY be normal under the right conditions????

Comment

I've never had it happen to my engine, but I think, from reading through the posts here, is that it all depends on how hard you rev it while in reverse. I've revved it to what I would consider "hard" numerous times. But I suppose that's a subjective rating and doesn't translate well over the internet. RPM's would be objective and a good way to compare. But, it sounds like it's totally possible for it kick up, given enough rev's. Maybe, as you get used to your new area, you won't have to rev it quite as much - or can control the boat better in a different manner of approach. You certainly don't want that engine to be kicking up since, at a bare minimum, you are losing control when that happens.
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
        Maybe one of you fine gentlemen would like to test this out and see if it happens.Most on this thread seem to think it will not.

I would do it but my small engine has mechanical Reverse locks and I don't have access to my F60 with trim/tilt right now...

Any takers?
        I'll give it shot if I can remember. 3500 is all you will get from me.

Comment

Seems like a major liability issue to Yamaha if the motor would kick up on its own simply by using reverse thrust. In any manner.

Say a guy is heading downstream into a dock. Wind at his back. Pontoon boat with lots of sail area. Normal boat speed. Boat is loaded with cripple children from the local black church orphanage. Boat driver goes into reverse. The motor comes up on its own. He loses control. The boat takes out the dock and the boat starts to sink. Children are thrown overboard from the boat, a number are knocked off the dock and many die. Their bodies are never recovered.

The boat driver was not negligent in any way. His actions were completely normal in the boating world.

F. Lee Bailey is the plaintiff's attorney in a law suit against Yamaha for defective design. Design which rendered reverse as being unusable at the very time it was sorely needed. Wacky Wilson is the spokesperson for the group.

What would you do if you are on the jury?

Oh the inhumanity of it all.

Comment

Agreed with the below... It shouldn't be jumping up as such...

The dampening valves SHOULD PREVENT the quick movement...
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Who is Wacky Wilson? That's my only question.

My family loves it when I start spearmintin with the boat. Heads start swiveling. Complaining commences. Good to have a mission though. Really should be fishing anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                Who is Wacky Wilson? That's my only question.

My family loves it when I start spearmintin with the boat. Heads start swiveling. Complaining commences. Good to have a mission though. Really should be fishing anyway.
                The Donald's latest good buddy. Representing the great state of Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                  I'll give it shot if I can remember. 3500 is all you will get from me.
                  It will be a interesting experiment..

Comment

Ahh. She's clearly retarded.

Wonder what on earth is under that hat?

Comment

I know a few fishermen that have disconnected the mechanical Rev lock on engines without trim/tilt. They use it like a shallow drive setup. Back the boat up in Rev and with just the right amount of throttle and hand on top of engine, just keep the LU in the water enough without losing water to the pump....They are very good at it...

I tried it on my father's old engine, which the Rev lock was broken, a few times and was not easy to keep the engine at the same angle at all...either prop coming out of the water or engine banging back down on the transom bracket..lol The old man behind me telling me to give up .....ing around.

Comment

I think Rodbolt should be willing to give us the demo video. With the Sea Pro he has been threatening to sell for many months.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                          The Donald's latest good buddy. Representing the great state of Florida.
                          She represents the DEMOCRATS, certainly NOT all of Florida..

Agreed, a definite nut case, indeed, "wacky"...
                          Scott
                          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

rodbolt did it one night when hunting for a friend.
                            said friend was drunk and lost in the sound. I went to hunt for him.
                            he dang near ran me over at full speed with no running lights as I was leaving colington harbor.
                            yep, jam that F150 hard in reverse and it pops right up as designed.
                            sadly that friend passed away a few years back. I still miss him.

but if ya don't believe me simply try it sometime. place it in R, jam the throttle.
                            watch the motor climb.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                              rodbolt did it one night when hunting for a friend.
                              said friend was drunk and lost in the sound. I went to hunt for him.
                              he dang near ran me over at full speed with no running lights as I was leaving colington harbor.
                              yep, jam that F150 hard in reverse and it pops right up as designed.
                              sadly that friend passed away a few years back. I still miss him.

but if ya don't believe me simply try it sometime. place it in R, jam the throttle.
                              watch the motor climb.
                              Old Bill The crabber went on a rampage?

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post

watch the motor climb.
                                If it does, get the motor to a mechanic for a repair.

The reverse thrust is the same as the brakes on your car/truck. Damn if I would be driving a car or truck if the brakes were to stop working at the very time that I most needed them.

Does the coast guard need to be alerted that a Yamaha motor cannot be depended upon to stop the boat in an emergency? Should a recall be issued?

Comment

Working...
                                X