Max rpms are only 4200 when wide open. 2001,115 yamaha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max rpms are only 4200 when wide open. 2001,115 yamaha

I recently rebuilt half the carburetor and deep cleaned it, changed the fuel pump, the spark plugs, the fuel filter, the lower unit gear lube. And then did a seafoam hot soak. The engine is running much bethere now and my previous problems are all gone. But while running wide open I'm only getting to 4200 rpm. I have a four blade prop, which I understand lowers the max rpm but should it be this low? Any advice would be appreciated

why did you just clean 1/2 of the carb?

no one but you knows what boat, load, and props you are running, so very hard to say much about your problem

Comment

Did the motor go over those RPM before you "fixed it"? No idea what deep cleaning a carb is, but if you just washed it, or placed it in some sort of solvent, it is not cleaned.

Comment

I cleaned both double barrel carburetors. I just replaced half the parts inside, is what I meant..

It's a 17'8" Action craft with a 115 tlry 2001 YAMAHA.

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
          Did the motor go over those RPM before you "fixed it"? No idea what deep cleaning a carb is, but if you just washed it, or placed it in some sort of solvent, it is not cleaned.
          I took the carburetor apart and sprayed all the Jets and everything with carb cleaner replaced one of the floats and all the gaskets cleaned the bowl and soaked it..

I'm told it used to run at 5200 rpm 10 years ago

Comment

Look at the prop and see if there is some numbers stamped on it....then report back...please.

Comment

Still no info on prop being used.
              Is this so hard to understand that we have no idea what you are running?

Here is something for you to look up a rig like yours to see what prop they used and what they got out of it

Outboard Performance, Performance Bulletins | Yamaha Outboards

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                Still no info on prop being used.
                Is this so hard to understand that we have no idea what you are running?

Here is something for you to look up a rig like yours to see what prop they used and what they got out of it

Outboard Performance, Performance Bulletins | Yamaha Outboards
                I'm not a mechanic I'm just a weekend worrier trying to learn how to fix my own engine. If you're going to continue to give me a hard time, just stop replying! Your link didn't help at all by the way..

Comment

does not take a mechanic to look at a prop or the web site link I posted to find a rig close to yours

Comment

The only numbers stamped into the prop are 8965 1 1/4 x 20 it looks like. The last number is difficult to make out, it could be 26..

Comment

1 1/4 is wrong look again maybe 11 1/4 or more

Comment

I gather the boat / engine is new to you as it was quote:

"I'm told it used to run at 5200 rpm 10 years ago".

I don't see your engine ( 115 tlry 2001 YAMAHA ) in the US parts diagram here:
                        http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...001/parts.html

I assume its a two stroke, V4?

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-30-2017, 07:19 PM.
                        Scott
                        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

It's very hard to make out but it looks like 13 1/4 and the prop measures to 13 1/4 across..

Yes ivery had it for about a year. And sorry it's a 2000 115tlry 2 stroke

Comment

[QUOTE=TownsendsFJR1300;144452]I gather the boat / engine is new to you as it was quote:

"I'm told it used to run at 5200 rpm 10 years ago".

I don't see your engine ( 115 tlry 2001 YAMAHA ) in the US parts diagram here:
                            2001 Yamaha Outboard Parts
                            I assume its a two stroke, V4?

There is a 2000 F115 TLRY? It appears to be FI. Could that be your engine
                            Dennis
                            Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

*2 stroke 4v yes

Comment

Working...
                              X