• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post 10 on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
      Post 10 on this thread.
      Ahh. I found it in another post as well.

Originally posted by FL_Marine View Post
      It clack in neutral and no matter how aggressive I shift into forward or reverse it sounds like I'm learning to drive a stick shift again.

I will say I changed the lower unit oil and I swear I put more in than I got out.
      FL_Marine:
      Pay attention and make sure when you install your L/U that it, your linkage, and shifter are all in neutral. Hopefully your clicking will not come back.
      Chuck,
      1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

The clicking / clacking was happening prior to removing the lower unit, which I know is a problem. Someone suggested (prior to me registering here) to change my lower unit oil. When I did that it seemed like I put more in than I got out. Then I went to see how it ran in the water and my steering sucked and I had to change those seals. While running the motor on the muffs I noticed low pressure from the tell-tale and that's where all this began.

Cpostis somehow I missed that about the seal spring being bad, thank you.

Comment

if you have tried adjusting the cable and everything already then the lower unit needs to be opened up to look and see what is going on. something is bent or wore out

Comment

((Yam hit it on the head when he said this:

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            something is wrong with the lower unit if it makes noise while in neutral. I would address that before spending money on other things.

but then you need good stats, water pump , and lower unit to run the motor.

Just hate to see you put money into something and then find out the lower was a major problem
            In case you don't have it, here's procedure for adjusting gear shift linkage...
            [IMG]GearShiftAdj by Charles Postis, on Flickr[/IMG]
            GearShiftAdj.1 by Charles Postis, on Flickr
            Chuck,

Comment

I took the seals out today, all said it wasn't too bad. What can I flush the lower out with to make sure it's clean for the new lube once I get the seals installed? Or is just draining it and putting clean lube in enough.

Also what can I clean the housing out where the seals go to get it in good shape again? It's got allot of wood glue colored gunk in it.

Anyway here is a pic of the seals.

Comment

I used mineral spirits and one of those kitchen scrub pads. Neither will hurt the shaft which is what you want to protect. I made sure to dry it and the bearings below. Did you remove the driveshaft housing? I made sure to coat the bearings with a good dose of lower unit oil before reinstalling the carrier.

I refilled the lower unit with gear oil. I may dump it again after a few runs to make sure new seals are doing their job.

Comment

looking at the seal and not reading anything about how you pulled them makes me think you did not pull the seal carrier housing.
                  normally you pull that so you can remove the seals without hurting the shaft and housing . along with making it easy to clean that all up without stuff going into the lower unit.

I have stuffed rags down in areas before while cleaning to keep trash out of places I did not want trash to go.
                  getting the trash out after it is in the lower unit is a futile thing to do without taking it all apart and cleaning it up. Some will hide in the bearings and gears.

hope that helps some, but you still need to find out what is wrong with the lower unit

Comment

Yam- I see a thread you created about a similiar issue. I believe it was your brother's boat. Clicking in neutral.

Comment

that is why I said he needs to open it up and look

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                        looking at the seal and not reading anything about how you pulled them makes me think you did not pull the seal carrier housing.
                        normally you pull that so you can remove the seals without hurting the shaft and housing . along with making it easy to clean that all up without stuff going into the lower unit.

I have stuffed rags down in areas before while cleaning to keep trash out of places I did not want trash to go.
                        getting the trash out after it is in the lower unit is a futile thing to do without taking it all apart and cleaning it up. Some will hide in the bearings and gears.

hope that helps some, but you still need to find out what is wrong with the lower unit
                        I removed the housing and removed the seals via the method the video suggests that pstephens46 suggested on the Marine tech website.

Comment

Yam- I see a thread you created about a similiar issue. I believe it was your brother's boat. Clicking in neutral.
                          Here's a link to Yam's post you refer to:

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...g-th25042.html
                          Chuck,

Comment

Originally posted by FL_Marine View Post
                            I removed the housing and removed the seals via the method the video suggests that pstephens46 suggested on the Marine tech website.
                            Have you seated new seals yet?

Comment

Have you seated new seals yet?
                              No sir I have not, waiting on them still.

Comment

Working...
                              X