Can someone identify this part?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No need to drain l/u

Check the pressure relief valve. Make sure it is an easy fit to hole. No binding.

Comment

water pump is not associated with the lower unit lube.
      but seals would be.
      something is wrong with the lower unit if it makes noise while in neutral. I would address that before spending money on other things.

but then you need good stats, water pump , and lower unit to run the motor.

Just hate to see you put money into something and then find out the lower was a major problem

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        water pump is not associated with the lower unit lube.
        but seals would be.
        something is wrong with the lower unit if it makes noise while in neutral. I would address that before spending money on other things.

but then you need good stats, water pump , and lower unit to run the motor.

Just hate to see you put money into something and then find out the lower was a major problem
        Yes but he could salvage all those new parts if a new L/U is needed.
        Lets not scare him too much! Right time of year for these projects.

Comment

I think I'm going to end up dumping money into this thing and never get to use it until I get P.O.ed and get rid of it.

Good thing is that when I drained the lube out to replace it I didn't see any metal on the drain screw or in the pan so that's a plus right.

Also can someone help me with the correct part number for my water pump?
          When I to yamahaoutboards dot com and use the part look up I get this part number 61A-W0078-A3-00
          When I go to Boats dot net link in the top corner of the forum and use the look up I get this part number 61A-W0078-2A-00

which one is right?

sorry if I'm missing something I just want it to be right.

pstephens46 - I just realized you're not that far from me.... how long are your arms, I need some live well pumps replaced.
          Last edited by FL_Marine; 01-02-2017, 03:57 PM.

Comment

call boats.net.
            I recall seeing a kit that someone added the collar and retainer and altered the part number

Comment

I have short arms. I get frustrated easily and break out the hammer. Where in FL are you? Boats.net will take care of you. These numbers are a nightmare...

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                I have short arms. I get frustrated easily and break out the hammer. Where in FL are you? Boats.net will take care of you. These numbers are a nightmare...
                I'm just west of Jacksonville between Baldwin and Lake City.

The part number Boats.net has is listed as chrome pump kit. That might be the difference.
                Last edited by FL_Marine; 01-02-2017, 04:14 PM.

Comment

the chrome will be more expensive, but not needed unless running in a lot of mud and sand
                  Last edited by 99yam40; 01-02-2017, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FL_Marine View Post
                    I think I'm going to end up dumping money into this thing and never get to use it until I get P.O.ed and get rid of it.

Good thing is that when I drained the lube out to replace it I didn't see any metal on the drain screw or in the pan so that's a plus right.

Also can someone help me with the correct part number for my water pump?
                    When I to yamahaoutboards dot com and use the part look up I get this part number 61A-W0078-A3-00
                    When I go to Boats dot net link in the top corner of the forum and use the look up I get this part number 61A-W0078-2A-00

which one is right?

sorry if I'm missing something I just want it to be right.

pstephens46 - I just realized you're not that far from me.... how long are your arms, I need some live well pumps replaced.
                    Both are good part numbers. The A3-00 is the chrome kit. The 2A is the standard kit.

61A-W0078-A3-00 YAMAHA WATER PUMP REPAIR

61A-W0078-2A-00 YAMAHA CHROME PUMP KIT

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                      Both are good part numbers. The A3-00 is the chrome kit. The 2A is the standard kit.

Excellent thank you.

Is there any justification for paying almost double for the chrome vs the standard kit?

Comment

Originally posted by FL_Marine View Post
                        Excellent thank you.

Is there any justification for paying almost double for the chrome vs the standard kit?
                        No. I just replaced my $60 kit with the same. 2 1/2 years. Plenty of sand and mud around here.

Chrome is for the Flint Michigan boats. Ok, cheap shot!
                        Last edited by pstephens46; 01-02-2017, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Yes. Yamaha makes more profit. The economy gets better the motor money that gets spent.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

Mr. CIA Guy:
                            From what I can tell, the chrome kit only includes the "outer plate, cartridge" and the "insert, cartridge", nothing else. I never ordered a "chrome kit". I do know that in the standard complete kit I order (w/housing) both the plate and insert are made of non-ferrous metal (magnet will not pick them up). I am assuming they are made of stainless steel. Never had anywhere near excessively worn or corroded plate or insert. So why would anyone use the "chrome kit"?

Has any member ever used a chrome kit?
                            Chuck,
                            1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

I have read places like Alaska rivers with all of the silt mixed up in the water will eat regular ones , but never had to deal with that type of water myself

Comment

I haven't checked them yet but I'm going to bet the spark plugs are bad on the motor also.
                                What is recommended for these motors? I think I saw NGK somewhere but I can't remember. An automotive store won't carry them will they?

Also I updated my first post for things I am going to check / replace if there's anything I should add let me know.

Comment

Working...
                                X