2004 f225 txrc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
    Never seen a ohm meter read 0 when touching the leads together or any other time, there is resistance in the meter leads
    Technically speaking, my meter is a craftsman digital multi-meter model 82141. I've had it for some time and got it when I had a 28 foot Bertram with a real messed up wire harness

Comment

I ended up tweaking my sore shoulder, but managed to put a new battery in my multimeter and get back to this frustrating project.of trying to find the elusive grounding that causes the horn to blast away at start, but after two hours in the hot North Carolina sun, no progress made. I have not found any clues on the internet except to check the wiring, Even Yamaha CS had little to offer except check the wiring, Maybe it is not the pink wire out of pin #3 on the ecm. Maybe it's another wire. The 10 pin cable is in great shape. I'll just keep picking at it until I find it.

Comment

I spent a couple of hours out on the boat searching for that elusive grounded wire by isolating different sections. I did not find anything, but I did see something a little suspicious. The #4 pin at the ECM white wire for the emergency shutoff switch showed as grounded whether the lanyard on the switch was installed or not. I would think that the white wire would be grounded only when the lanyard was out.

Comment

Originally posted by rpambrun View Post
          I would think that the white wire would be grounded only when the lanyard was out.
          or the keyswitch "off"

Comment

the grounding is done at the helm, regardless of engine model

although exactly what the grounded wire affects at the engine
            depends on the model: ECM or - something else.
            (personally I don't care to understand anything other than EFI)

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
              the grounding is done at the helm, regardless of engine model

although exactly what the grounded wire affects at the engine
              depends on the model: ECM or - something else.
              (personally I don't care to understand anything other than EFI)

This circuit is so simple as one looks at it. I have just about run out of patience trying to find a breach in the horn circuit and now wonder if the ECM/ECU isn't at fault. My shoulder has kept me from crawling around on the floor much, but not finding where the pink wire could be grounding other than in the ECU/ECM has me wondering about the unit itself. I wish I had a schematic of the ECM to better understand it. I've just about ruled out the fault being on the motor itself, but then again, I can't be possitive

Comment

When i have problems like that i use a homemade key switch harness with a horn on it. That way you can tell if it is the boat or engine.

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
                  When i have problems like that i use a homemade key switch harness with a horn on it. That way you can tell if it is the boat or engine.
                  That's interesting. How does that work?

Comment

take the controls from a different rig and plug it into the 10 pin connector on the motor.
                    that will eliminate the harness to con*****er along with the con*****er

Comment

take the controls from a different rig and plug it into the 10 pin connector on the motor.
                      that will eliminate the harness to con*****er along with the con*****er
                      Gotcha! Thanks

Comment

The key harness i made is only 5 ft long. I have them for mercury and mercruiser too.

Comment

BINGO! Here is the culprit. I don't know how many times I was going to disconnect this on board filter after I cleaned it out last week, but no more buzzer. I think this is an aftermarket filter. The cup has a shredded wire out of the bottom that I don't think can be repaired. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement. I tried Boats.net and they could not find it in their system.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

well that should have been seen a long time ago, a filter with wires coming out of it should have caught your attention.
                            does the switch read closed with your ohm meter?

If the motor did not come with it, probably does not need it, makes you wonder what they hooked it up to
                            Last edited by 99yam40; 09-06-2018, 01:41 PM.

Comment

well that should have been seen a long time ago, a filter with wires coming out of it should have caught your attention.
                              does the switch read closed with your ohm meter?
                              I did see it a long time ago. I even removed it once and cleaned it out and ever since then told myself to un connect it and try the motor, but a brain freeze set in and while sitting in front of my computer up in my media room today scratching my head and I thought of it and went right out and pulled the plug. The wiring on the bottom of it had frayed from not holding the wire while turning the cup to get it seated in the holder, so it was basically shorted out. BTW, I did finally find the right replacement at Boats.net and it's on its way.

Comment

Guess it threw you off when Rod said that motor did not come with WIF, it did me

But I did mention it and fairdeal said the harness was capable ,so it has a place to hook it up to but the ECU probably does not show it
                                a leaning experience for several of us

Comment

Working...
                                X