2004 f225 txrc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 f225 txrc

Finally got this motor mounted and running. Installed a new fuel tank, new fuel line, new racor and new primer bulb. It started right up and is ready to go. But I have been bogged down with other things and have not had a chance to use it for a few weeks, so I went out and fired it up this morning and as soon as the motor started, the audible horn came on when the engine started. I ran it for a few moments then shut it down and plugged in the YDS. There were no digital codes, so I fired her back up and checked the oil pressure was in the upper 80's and the temperature was normal. I wonder if I have a bad horn or ignition switch. Any ideas?

Some motors will sound an alarm for water in fuel when motor is in neutral.
    If your has that feature, the switch or wiring could have a problem
    might try putting it into gear to see if that make the horn stop.

but then I would have expected the YDS to have seen that

Comment

Yes, the YDS did not pick that up and the filter did have a few drops of water from the old tank. I cleaned it out and ran the engine in gear, but the alarm did not stop.

Comment

I don't think the "C" ECM/harness was WIF alarm capable
        and the WIF alarm sound is "beeps" - not continuous tone like temp / oil pressure

Comment

Heck I did not even know Yamaha F motors had different alarm sounds for some things.

could the over temp switch or sensor cause an alarm when out of a normal range, but still not show it on YDS?
          how about oil pressure being to high or low for the RPM it is running at?
          Last edited by 99yam40; 08-25-2018, 07:33 PM.

Comment

At 766 RPM the oil pressure was 77.2, I'll Probably do a continuity check on the horn tomorrow.

Comment

If the horn is making noise ,
              it is not the problem.
              something is telling it to make noise

Comment

When you initially fired it up (first time), I gather no audible alarm?

Stupid question, you did have water to the engine this time, correct (didn't run dry)?

Might want to run the engine with the YDS connected and check for anything abnormal..
                Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-26-2018, 07:35 AM.
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                  When you initially fired it up (first time), I gather no audible alarm?

Stupid question, you did have water to the engine this time, correct (didn't run dry)?

Might want to run the engine with the YDS connected and check for anything abnormal..
                  When I initially got the power head back on and the connectors all connected, I ran the motor for some time without any horn on. It ran smooth and I was determined to get it back in the water and go for a spin, but then the weather turned bad and it rained a ton of water and I got sidetracked to other things. So when I first fired it up yesterday, the horn came on as soon as the engine started. I ran it for a few moments so any codes would be saved then shut it off and put the YDS on and there were no codes and everything in the engine off mode seemed normal, so I fired it back up and let it warm up and saved the attachment.

I did not have the curtains on to prevent the rain from hitting the helm area and thought that maybe the ignition switch and kill switch got soaked. There was a few drops of water in the on board filter, but after cleaning it out and running the engine in gear, the horn still stayed on. I was hoping to get out and fool with it this afternoon, but it's looking more like tomorrow now.
                  Attached Files

Comment

why is the duel motor switch on?
                    I believe duel motor rigs will sound an alarm if the other one dies
                    could this be the problem?
                    Last edited by 99yam40; 08-26-2018, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      why is the duel motor switch on?
                      Don't know why. That's why I checked it. How does one turn it off? Previous YDS reports showed the switch as "off"
                      Last edited by rpambrun; 08-26-2018, 11:14 AM.

Comment

I have no idea, hope Rod or Bosco will give input.
                        maybe others that deal with rigs with more than one motor will chime in

Comment

It appears that the Dual Engine Switch (DES) is in the ECM per the attachment. Note that it is attached to the buzzer. There must be a way to turn it off
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rpambrun View Post
                            It appears that the Dual Engine Switch (DES) is in the ECM per the attachment.

not IN the ECM - but rather wired to it - ECM pin #3.

AFAIK the "DES" is a "black box" module attached to the back of a dual key switch.

You aren't using a dual keyswitch with your single motor, are you?
                            Last edited by fairdeal; 08-26-2018, 02:35 PM.

Comment

I am guessing that if the pink wire from the CDI/ECU got chaffed to a ground the motor would sense that as "the other motor" having a problem. Of course there is no other motor. But the engine does not know that. It only knows what it sees.

Comment

Working...
                              X