Lower Unit bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing tell tale

Well ... Lol... I always look back after starting the engines to make sure that they are peeing, the longer it takes I guess the more the impeller is being worn. Why else would a new impeller pee in 4 seconds and an old one take 8 Seconds?
    I'm surely not going to proceed along my way if it's not peeing, I'm going to shut the engine down and find out why.
    What should I be doing while waiting on it to pee LOL?
    (Keep it clean kids maybe reading)
    Thanks again for your help Rodbolt.

Comment

One last thing

RB,
      Since I aligned that shift shaft to dead neutral
      (I hope) it shifts real smooth now, that port engine used to have a definite loud clunk when going into gear, also when in neutral its propeller used to spin a little bit but you could stop it by your foot but I just assumed that was normal now it's identical to the starboard engine real smooth, the propeller sits still in neutral.
      Could the shift shaft splines being not perfectly aligned before possibly have caused that?

Comment

It takes a few seconds for the pump to fill the block and all the passages with water. The engine is self draining, all the water drains from the engine after shut down. The other engine with the older water pump will probably take a little longer to start peeing as it is worn somewhat and not as efficient as the new one.

As long as it is peeing a good steady stream you should be good to go...

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk Gibson View Post
          RB,
          Since I aligned that shift shaft to dead neutral
          (I hope) it shifts real smooth now, that port engine used to have a definite loud clunk when going into gear, also when in neutral its propeller used to spin a little bit but you could stop it by your foot but I just assumed that was normal now it's identical to the starboard engine real smooth, the propeller sits still in neutral.
          Could the shift shaft splines being not perfectly aligned before possibly have caused that?
          I thought the splines are far enough apart , if you did not get it in correctly you would know it right away, would not hit neutral propely.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            I thought the splines are far enough apart , if you did not get it in correctly you would know it right away, would not hit neutral propely.
            Agreed ^^^ with the above. If it was mis-clocked originally you'd know it.

As for the time to pee, I too, look at mine, just to make sure.

I noticed when flushing on the muffs (WP was about 2 years old), if I revved it for a second, the tell tale
            would "sputter" flow for maybe 2-3 seconds, IE the impeller wasn't keeping up.

With the new WP kit in there, I can do the exact same thing and now, NO "sputtering" of the water flow.

The impeller had a little bit of a set in it, not bad at all, but I replaced everything.

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-30-2017, 11:33 AM.
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
              It takes a few seconds for the pump to fill the block and all the passages with water. The engine is self draining, all the water drains from the engine after shut down. The other engine with the older water pump will probably take a little longer to start peeing as it is worn somewhat and not as efficient as the new one.

As long as it is peeing a good steady stream you should be good to go...
              Correct. Furthermore, as the water pump is trying to fill the block to the tippy top some of that water is draining from the block via the drain holes you mention. Many motors can take about a minutes time to fill the block sufficiently for a bit of water to make its way to the tell tale.

Not all Yams are created equally. Two identical models one serial number apart may very well have different operating characteristics. Completely normal. Drives some owners crazy. Funny, they always think the one with less water pressure, less oil pressure, hotter temperature is the problem child.

Ever had a pilot that complains of throttle stagger even though he may only hold the throttles for maybe a few minutes time out of a multi-hour flight? Ever had a pilot that complains about his chair having too much play in the adjusting structure?

Except for you and me, folks are crazy. When we are not together, I am concerned for you.

Comment

Timing tell tale

Yes I understand what the water pump does and what it has to go through before it pees etc etc I was just commenting on why I time the tell tale.
                Also was curious as to why it shifts silky-smooth now just like the other engine, when before it didn't?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                  Correct. Furthermore, as the water pump is trying to fill the block to the tippy top some of that water is draining from the block via the drain holes you mention. Many motors can take about a minutes time to fill the block sufficiently for a bit of water to make its way to the tell tale.

Not all Yams are created equally. Two identical models one serial number apart may very well have different operating characteristics. Completely normal. Drives some owners crazy. Funny, they always think the one with less water pressure, less oil pressure, hotter temperature is the problem child.

Ever had a pilot that complains of throttle stagger even though he may only hold the throttles for maybe a few minutes time out of a multi-hour flight? Ever had a pilot that complains about his chair having too much play in the adjusting structure?

Except for you and me, folks are crazy. When we are not together, I am concerned for you.
                  Don't get me going on Pilots....some are great others are numbskulls(mostly the latter) I remember one guy wrote up he had a power lever stagger...probably a 1/8th of inch, perfectly acceptable. He said the % Torque was off 1% between the two engines!! I asked him how he came to that conclusion when the needles on the anolog gauges covered about 3 or 4% anyway...he had been studying the gauges for the last 3 hours...

Checked Serviceable and sent a grumpy pilot on his way...lol

Got a million stories like that..

Comment

Oh and everybody is nuts sometimes including me and you....

Comment

Btw

BTW guys,
                      This engine had been making that clunking sound since I bought it new in 2010 and I had changed the water pump in 2014. After the 2014 water pump change it still made the clunk but now it doesn't. It never was a big deal to me I would always start with my starboard engine that would get the port prop spinning a little bit and then I would bring the port in and never would hear the clunk.... No big deal.
                      I bought it new in 2010 but its a 2011 model boat.
                      The owner of the Boat Company never had it registered but used it as a demo model also in promotional pictures and videos for their company. There were 90 hours on each engine when I got it so they may have done one water pump replacement during that time who knows. They have about 300 hours on them now.
                      Just adding a few Clues to the mystery LOL

Comment

Splines

Yeah the spline thing was the only thing I could think of that would have possibly caused it to become smooth but wasn't sure that's why I was asking. If not that then what?

Comment

as you noticed if the splines are off it wont go.
                          it is a mechanical dog clutch. it is supposed to clunk going in a gear.

Comment

Thanks

Yes, it does clunk, it just doesn't seem as severe as it was for some reason and a lot smoother. Whatever the reason I am a Cappy Hamper.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                              as you noticed if the splines are off it wont go.
                              the splines need to line up so they can mate, yes -

but I'm pretty sure, at least twice,

I've gotten it to go together one spline "off"

what I can't recall, is if I was able to start the engine....

Comment

Good point

Yeah, I guess if not in neutral it wouldn't start. Good point. Unless one spline off isn't enough to open the circuit.
                                BTW how did you find out it was one spline off?

Comment

Working...
                                X