Lower Unit bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will repull

Ok I guess I will have to repull this thing. I have both the LU and the controls in neutral (right where I placed them when removing them) and I made a little mark at the front of the Shift shaft to ensure it is in the same position. I will check to see if the O ring came out. Would that cause it to stop that far out?

Comment

O ring

So if I have this right in my head ... if the o ring came out during removal (and stayed in the female portion) it could stop the shift shaft from proceeding all the way into the female coupling? Could that distance be 3/4"?

Comment

I was trying to understand what o ring Rod was talking about, did not realize it was on the shift shaft. My mind was on the drive shaft for some reason.\
        not sure the shift shaft would hold it 3/4" off, how long is the splined area
        Last edited by 99yam40; 07-29-2017, 01:44 PM.

Comment

if you look it is counter bored and the splined area is about 3/4"make sure the oring is in place. make sure the lower in in N.
          disconnect the shift slide.
          while installing have someone move the slide back and forth slightly.

you want fun do it on an F350 case weighs 133LBS, I weigh 136.8.
          it almost exceeds my safety limits.
          and typically it is about chest high and I am almost 6ft.

Comment

which first chicken or the egg

OK ...repulled it, and checked and O ring ... still nice and in groove.
            I got a good look at what RB is saying about it being counter bored and can see how that could hold it out.
            Here is a part that puzzles me ...I had straps on it keeping a slight upward pressure when it stopped.
            I could move the flywheel (when I thought it may be splines on DS) and it moved the drive shaft. When I just now repulled it and placed it on the bench
            (I built a special rack on my bench) I noticed that none of the grease in the splines on the end of the drive shaft had been disturbed, all grooves still full of grease all the way up. I guess it was just pressing against the top of the shaft and not going in, so, did that hold it out or did the shift shaft not aligning keep the whole LU from going high enough for the DS to engage? Or is the DS hitting and not aligning keeping the shift shaft from going up?
            Which would hit first?
            Last edited by Kirk Gibson; 07-29-2017, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Shift slide

yes will have the missus wiggle that on my next attempt.

Comment

350??

***! I don't know how you do it on a 350.
                Do you keep a can of spinach in your shirt because you MUST be Popeye!

Comment

There is mucho stuff on an F350 that can whip a mans arse. Put an F350 on an engine stand and try rolling it around. God help you if it gets away from you.

Hate that beast.

Comment

I did a 200 hr service on triples earlier this spring. what a freaking 3 day event.
                    boat is in the haulout about 1/4 mile from the shop.
                    I hate working on V8 motors much less twins or triples.

Comment

Getting the power trim and tilt assembly out is a pain in the butt. What was Yamaha thinking? I wonder if they have changed the design?

Comment

Update!!!

Well I was going to go and get it back to the point where I was and have the missus wiggle the shift slide a little while I try and pull it up.
                        Before I took it out of the rig on the bench I reached down and spun the prop to make sure it was in neutral. (which I had done before all this crap started) and noticed it made a ratcheting sound in one direction and wouldn't turn in the other without turning the DS.
                        So, I thought, it somehow got a hair off neutral. So while turning the DS clockwise with one hand I put the shift shaft back to the mark I had made and the prop then spun free and smooth in each direction with no movement of the DS.
                        Anyway I still was thinking it wasn't going in.
                        I grabbed that puppy and stabbed it AND THAT SUCKER WENT ALL THE WAY IN, shocked me because I didn't even get to check the shaft or water tube...just POW! There it was just like the first time I changed the pumps. I was expecting it to stop like before, so I had a bolt ...but no wrench AGGGGGGHHH! I saw the straps still hanging down so I strapped it then walked 3 feet to the wrench. It's back together now and after I clean all the old white thread compound off the bolts I will give them a light coat of grease and install them. Then I can test it out.
                        If it doesn't shift then I will at least know that the coupling wasn't aligned and that was holding it out. If it does shift (and pee) HOORAY.
                        Rodbolt was right again I feel it was the splines in the shift shaft not lining up because it was somehow off neutral a little.
                        Will let you know after I tank test it.
                        THANKS Rodbolt and everybody for all the help, that one really kicked my butt.
                        I still have the SB motor to do but at least now I will be ready.
                        If for some reason the thing acts up I will know what to check.
                        This site is awesome.

Comment

stuff like that makes you drink more and think about all sorts of things that you have done or thought you did when it does not do what you want it to do

usually turns out to be something simple

Comment

Hooray

Hooray everything works great, the engine pees the quickest I've ever seen it, before it took about 8 seconds to prime and pee now it does it in 4!
                            Thanks again guys I really appreciate all the input.

Comment

who in the ell times the tell tale ??????

Comment

The older we get, the more time we seem to spend concentrating on peeing.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Comment

Working...
                                X