1990 130 ETXD carb removal question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
    When you said they were plastic floats. I assumed they where ALL plastic, no metal at all. So they are adjustable. One problem fixed.

As for the needle seat, if it is not listed in the parts manual then it considered to be not replaceable, pressed in.

If you continue to have trouble with that needle/seat here is something I have done several times in the past to clean up a needle seat. Take good quality pencil, take the eraser off the end of the pencil. Glue it onto a small wooden dowel or the top end of a drill bit ( the end that does cut) that will fit down in the hole where the seat is. Put the little shaft in a drill and turn down eraser by spinning it against a piece of sandpaper to the right diameter.A bit smaller than the hole it's going in.

Using a old needle for reference, shape the eraser to a point like the needle.

Now carefully, by hand, spin this down in the hole against your seat. The eraser is slightly abrasive and will polish off any corrosion or varnish off the seat while maintaining it's shape. You are only polishing the seat. Blow out any debris and try needle pressure test again.

Do this at your risk. As the seat is non replaceable.
    *** this is a very cool trick ... Thanks for sharing.
    Seems all good right now but I 'll definitively keep that in mind.

This ethanol gas is the plague!
    1990 Yamaha 130v4 130ETXD.

Comment

Quick update:

Got the new fuel pump installed, new hose from strainer to tank side. Re-installed the carbs.

Air mixture set at 7/8 turn.
      Primed fuel and got a firm primer pretty fast. No leaks detected.

So far so good. I didn't have time to fire up the motor, that will be for tomorrow , then lake if all checks ok.

No matter what, the motor needed some TLC:

- 3 bolts missing on 1 carb
      - floats out of adjustment and one carb leaking from needle seat.
      - 2 Main jets O rings torn, granted can't say if they were torn when seated or if it happened during the removal of jet.
      - And turn out the fuel pump was on its way out. I could blow back through the outlet port. Opened it up and it had some rust inside coming from spring and it covered the reeds area. Membrane was ok tho.

Fuel pump removal:

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 5.33.17 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 5.34.06 PM.jpg

Main fuel hose:

O ring in one of main jet.

All in all it was needed and in the process I became more familiar with the motor. I have to say, I like Yamaha , I like it a lot. Amazing what you can do with a 10mm socket....

Thank you to everyone. Hopefully it will be a successful test run tomorrow.

Cheers

FMT
      Last edited by fmt2bx98050; 05-26-2017, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Quick update:

Got the new fuel pump installed, new hose from strainer to tank side. Re-installed the carbs.

Air mixture set at 7/8 turn.
        Primed fuel and got a firm primer pretty fast. No leaks detected.

So far so good. I didn't have time to fire up the motor, that will be for tomorrow , then lake if all checks ok.

No matter what, the motor needed some TLC:

- 3 bolts missing on 1 carb
        - floats out of adjustment and one carb leaking from needle seat.
        - 2 Main jets O rings torn, granted can't say if they were torn when seated or if it happened during the removal of jet.
        - And turn out the fuel pump was on its way out. I could blow back through the outlet port. Opened it up and it had some rust inside coming from spring and it covered the reeds area. Membrane was ok tho.

Fuel pump removal:

Main fuel hose:

O ring in one of main jet.

All in all it was needed and in the process I became more familiar with the motor. I have to say, I like Yamaha , I like it a lot. Amazing what you can do with a 10mm socket....

Thank you to everyone. Hopefully it will be a successful test run tomorrow.

Cheers

FMT
        Last edited by fmt2bx98050; 05-26-2017, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Make sure, especially for the 3/8" fuel line, you use MARINE GRADE fuel line, NOT automotive.

The ethanol WILL eat the insides of reg fuel line and cause more issues.

I had "Mercury" brand, (installed when they re-powered) from the transom filter to the under cowl filter. While doing reg maintenance, I found this gooey, spaghetti like slop in the engine filter.

Further digging showed that line disintegrated LITERALLY. You could pull the inner liner out!

Glad I caught it before going out...
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Yes, thank you. Got some marine line from the Marine local store for replacement.

Oh i'm with you, Ethanol is the worst on these motors and accessories.

Luckily, we still have a few gas stations here offering non ethanol.

Comment

Working...
            X