No announcement yet.

1990 130 ETXD carb removal question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That ^^ AND drain the bowl (drain bolt) catching what comes out in a small clean can..You want to inspect what comes out.

A small spritz of air thru that drain may loosen it as well.

Rare, but does happen, the float itself leaks and doesn't float anymore-thus the flooding as the float is ALWAYS open..

At least you only have TWO carbs, should be a bit easier:
    (Doesn't show the linkage so a pic posted here would be a help)

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...TOR/parts.html

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-13-2017, 07:21 AM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I followed the repair manual instructions for removal. Was easier than I thought it would be.
      It's all ready for inspection , cleanup and part replacement if necessary. I'll have a much better idea how things look like when I open the float area. Hopefully I ll have time tomorrow.

Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 9.19.36 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 9.20.04 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 9.20.21 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 9.21.00 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 9.21.32 PM.jpg

Anyone out there who might have added a small fuel filter between pump and carbs?

Thanks
      1990 Yamaha 130v4 130ETXD.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
        Only 27 years young what possible could be wrong with it...lol

Sounds like a good plan to me. I suspect when you laid it on its side some crap in the bottom of that carb bowl came loose and is now jammed between the needle and seat.

Did you try tapping the float bowl with a screwdriver handle while this overflowing was occurring? Sometimes this will stop that. Not the right way to fix it but might save you a stink of gas in the shop.
        Yup, exactly... What could possibly go wrong...

Yes I tried but no success.
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
          That ^^ AND drain the bowl (drain bolt) catching what comes out in a small clean can..You want to inspect what comes out.

A small spritz of air thru that drain may loosen it as well.

Rare, but does happen, the float itself leaks and doesn't float anymore-thus the flooding as the float is ALWAYS open..

At least you only have TWO carbs, should be a bit easier:
          (Doesn't show the linkage so a pic posted here would be a help)

1990 130ETXD Yamaha Outboard CARBURETOR Diagram and Parts

Thank you. These parts diagrams are the best...

Comment

Darn that engine / carbs LOOK BRAND NEW!!!

Nice and simple too!!!!

Someone takes care of their stuff!!

You don't need an inline filter besides the under cowl fuel filter..

Adding a transom water/fuel filter wouldn't hurt...
            Scott

Comment

Darn that engine / carbs LOOK BRAND NEW!!!

Nice and simple too!!!!

Someone takes care of their stuff!!

You don't need an inline filter besides the under cowl fuel filter..

Adding a transom water/fuel filter wouldn't hurt...
              Thanks , water/fuel filter is on the list of things to do.

Comment

Completed the carb rebuilt.
                The upper carb was in really good shape, looks like someone did a rebuilt no that long ago.
                The lower carb was different tho. Floats were out of tolerance, 18.3mm and 17.5 mm instead of the 16mm +/- 0.5.
                Also found the O ring on one of the main jet completely torn.

All in all the carbs were pretty clean.

Manual says that if float is out of tolerance, check needle seat/ needle. However, doesn't look like the needle seat is removable. seems pressed on.
                One of the seat was a bit dirty, I tried to clean as much as possible with car cleaner, but still not 100% satisfied.
                Any idea if the seats are removable/replaceable?

Thank you
                Fmt

This needle seat looks ok
                Screen Shot 2017-05-14 at 2.36.37 PM.jpg

this Needle seat is a bit dirty:
                Screen Shot 2017-05-14 at 2.36.51 PM.jpg

Torn O ring
                Screen Shot 2017-05-14 at 2.49.24 PM.jpg

Comment

Can't answer your question about the seat but, if you have a Mity Vac, re-install the needle, float etc.

Set the carb upside down (gravity ONLY closing the needle) and see if you can pull a vacuum @ the fuel inlet.. If the seat / needle are good, it'll hold a seal..

For the visible dirt/ discoloration inside the needle area, maybe try an ear cleaner swab with carb cleaner (or brake cleaner) and swipe that around..

Is the "problem" carb the one with the float adjustment issue?
                  Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-14-2017, 06:38 PM.
                  Scott

Comment

Thank Townsends.

Here is what I got.

https://youtu.be/LvfB3QZp_s4

Seems to be holding now. Yes, the bottom carb is the one that had an issue before rebuilt and this is where the needle seat seems to be dirty.
                    Thanks for the tip.

Fmt

Comment

Looks great! Unless the floats leak, the seat / needle is great!

BTW, some carbs with bowl Gaskets, the level is measured with them on, some with them off.

If you haven't already, just re-check if done correctly.

I didn't see seats separately on the parts fisch.

**I'm GUESSING RIGHT NOW, (proceed at your own risk), but for the High float,
                      but I'm wondering if crap can get between the seat and carb body
                      (raising the level). Cleaning spray and compressed air may blow crap out.

Then, tap the seat just a knats hair deeper in the carb body to get the correct float level.

**As the float is measured way farther out than the needle / seat I'd bet (worst case scenario) you could take just a hair of material off the FLAT end of the NEEDLE (practice on an old one) which would definitely lower the float level.. Wouldn't take much at all..

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-15-2017, 06:58 AM.
                      Scott

Comment

Looks great! Unless the floats leak, the seat / needle is great!

BTW, some carbs with bowl Gaskets, the level is measured with them on, some with them off.

If you haven't already, just re-check if done correctly.

I didn't see seats separately on the parts fisch.

**I'm GUESSING RIGHT NOW, (proceed at your own risk), but for the High float,
                        but I'm wondering if crap can get between the seat and carb body
                        (raising the level). Cleaning spray and compressed air may blow crap out.

Then, tap the seat just a knats hair deeper in the carb body to get the correct float level.

**As the float is measured way farther out than the needle / seat I'd bet (worst case scenario) you could take just a hair of material off the FLAT end of the NEEDLE (practice on an old one) which would definitely lower the float level.. Wouldn't take much at all..

Thanks.

I did clean both carbs thoroughly (carb cleaner and compressed air). Good point about the height with or without gasket, the service manual doesn't say specifically but the small diagram that comes with the service diagram looks like the gasket is on.
                        There is a small tab on the float, I very gently pinched it til I could get the 16mm. Didn't take much at all.

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 6.40.50 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 6.41.16 AM.jpg

I am waiting for the new pump (should be here today) then I am going to re-assemble everything and do the Dreaded/Exhilatrating test run... Been there so many times with boats. I am sure you know, you think you found the problem, spent hours fixing things and ............No Changes

Comment

Thanks for the info.

There is a small tab on the float, I pinched it an hair to get the 16mm.
                          Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 6.40.50 AM.jpg
                          Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 6.41.16 AM.jpg

I am with you, doesn't seem like the needle seat is on part list.

As for the height with or without gasket, the manual doesn't specify but the picture seems to have the gasket on.

Waiting for pump (should arrive today) and I'll re-asssemble the whole thing and go for a test run....

There was definitively some issues with carb but I don't want to jinx it. I've been there too many times. You know... You think you found the issue, fix it and still doesn't work right....
                          Last edited by fmt2bx98050; 05-15-2017, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Glad that float did have an adjustment.

Many small engines (not marine), do not....

Between the vacuum test, the floats set properly,
                            my $'s on your good to go!!
                            Scott

Comment

When you said they were plastic floats. I assumed they where ALL plastic, no metal at all. So they are adjustable. One problem fixed.

As for the needle seat, if it is not listed in the parts manual then it considered to be not replaceable, pressed in.

If you continue to have trouble with that needle/seat here is something I have done several times in the past to clean up a needle seat. Take good quality pencil, take the eraser off the end of the pencil. Glue it onto a small wooden dowel or the top end of a drill bit ( the end that does cut) that will fit down in the hole where the seat is. Put the little shaft in a drill and turn down eraser by spinning it against a piece of sandpaper to the right diameter.A bit smaller than the hole it's going in.

Using a old needle for reference, shape the eraser to a point like the needle.

Now carefully, by hand, spin this down in the hole against your seat. The eraser is slightly abrasive and will polish off any corrosion or varnish off the seat while maintaining it's shape. You are only polishing the seat. Blow out any debris and try needle pressure test again.

Do this at your risk. As the seat is non replaceable.

Comment

He's able to hold a vacuum with the "problem float" Pat, so I think the needle / seat is now a none issue...(link above)..
                                Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X