Pressure Control Valve, 06 F150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure Control Valve, 06 F150

I'm getting ready to order a WP kit (it's due), oil, etc. No overheat alarms, stream is getting a little weaker..

I did some research on the Pressure Control Valve (mines original, never pulled).

The PCV is basically for water pressure at idle correct?
    (It'll idle all day on muffs-no alarms..)

Being the new style "mushroom head PCV" and the gasket are cheap enough, good idea to change it out just for S&G's? (it's now 11 years old)

Being I never had it apart, basically, just yank it, clean if necessary, put the new "mushroom" style back on the end and re-install, correct?

Thanks ahead of time..
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

I never worked on one but from what i have read the corrosion under the grommet is what causes the problem.
    squeezes on the spring loaded PRV grabbing it not letting it move as it should

Comment

Just as easy as the thermostat...

Comment

Townsends, I work on all my friends boats , for beer and pocket change, ( not a pro ) last night I thought about my own boat , 150 txrc , *** have not looked at those thermostats in a while , hmmmm, when was the last time I did water pump. Good thing I dropped the l/u the bolts were getting salty, ( had grease) I had all the spare parts, but , I preach to all my friends, but forgot to do mine , ha ha , is there a new pressure relief valve ? .e

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
          I'm getting ready to order a WP kit (it's due), oil, etc. No overheat alarms, stream is getting a little weaker..

I did some research on the Pressure Control Valve (mines original, never pulled).

The PCV is basically for water pressure at idle correct?
          (It'll idle all day on muffs-no alarms..)

Being the new style "mushroom head PCV" and the gasket are cheap enough, good idea to change it out just for S&G's? (it's now 11 years old)

Being I never had it apart, basically, just yank it, clean if necessary, put the new "mushroom" style back on the end and re-install, correct?

Thanks ahead of time..
          If you hadn't thought about the spring (90501-16M11-00, SPRING, COMPRESSION) I'd replace it as well. If it has become weak, the valve could open pre-maturely and give you problems low to medium RPM.

On your post about thread locker for w/p bolts, I tried posting some infor and it went to moderator for approval first.

Anyway, you might have trouble finding 572. It's a pipe thread sealer, not really a thread locker.

I could not find it when I wanted it. Zoro Tools say they have it. Here's a link:

https://www.zoro.com/loctite-low-str...54/i/G3918652/
          Chuck,
          1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

My WP is going on 3 years old (low hours on the impeller).

I'm not really concerned about corrosion inside the block (but of course will check for it).

As noted, it doesn't overheat at all, even on muffs, so basically, I want to replace an 11 year old RUBBER part (which hardens up over time) just for preventive maintenance.

Just wanted to make sure there's no secrets..

Thanks guys...
            Scott

Comment

No secrets, easy peazy , and necessary .

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoiha View Post
                No secrets, easy peazy , and necessary .
                Thanks, that's what I wanted to know!
                Scott

Comment

gotta replace mystery stuff.

the pressure control valve is just that, it does not work more or less it simply limits max water pressure.

Comment

Got my new style poppet valve, (roundish, mushroom head, with the "X" on the other side and a new grommit).

I have not pulled the cover yet (tomorrow).

I'm not sure (maybe it's very obvious once inside), but does the grommet go into the block first, then the X/mushroom with the head sticking out???

I assume/looks like that's the only way it could go...

Se attached of the Original and please respond:

Scott

Comment

be careful when removing the old grommet and installing the new.

do not want to lose it inside the motor and have to go fishing for it to get it back out .

yes the grommet goes in 1st

spring pressure closes it and water pressure pushes if out of the way when it get high enough to overcome the spring pressure
                      Last edited by 99yam40; 02-14-2017, 05:19 PM.

Comment

I prefer the old valve and proper maint.
                        the old valve never wears out.
                        the new one does.
                        clean the grommet pocket and change the gromment like you should and the old style never had issues.
                        while the new style wont stick it wears out in a 150-200 hours.

but hay it is an UPGRADE.
                        not

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                          I prefer the old valve and proper maint.
                          the old valve never wears out.
                          the new one does.
                          clean the grommet pocket and change the gromment like you should and the old style never had issues.
                          while the new style wont stick it wears out in a 150-200 hours.

but hay it is an UPGRADE.
                          not
                          S..t, wish I knew that earlier but thank you...

I'll keep the original valve then, I do have the new grommet (and housing gasket).

Glad I posted again, will post a pic tomorrow of the inside water jacket (curious how much, if any, corrosion is there)...

Thanks again 99 and RB, REALLY APPRECIATED..
                          Scott

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                              Not a problem now, BUT earlier I called Yamaha tech and they said to put it on OPPOSITE of your pic above Boscoe, IE mushroom up. against the spring...

Rodbolt, do you use the 572 on the housing bolts-per the manual?

I ask as the WP housing calls for it, and per an earlier post from you, said for salt water use, DON'T use loctite....

Can you advise?
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X