No announcement yet.

access to oil pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do have the old pump , I checked it against the new one , it looks identical , and if the only difference is inside the pump , that's not my issue , as I can't get the driveshaft into the pump

Comment

here ya go. this is what I see while on my back looking into the driveshaft tube up towards the powerhead
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by gsdanno1 View Post
        I do have the old pump , I checked it against the new one , it looks identical , and if the only difference is inside the pump , that's not my issue , as I can't get the driveshaft into the pump
        This is what you are talking about? The driveshaft does not line up with the hole in the oil pump housing because it is off center?

[IMG]F150.OilPump by Charles Postis, on Flickr[/IMG]

My Yammy, I tilt the motor to best angle for insertion of the L/U. I cradle the lower unit in my right arm, guide it in with my left arm, slip it in the mid housing up to the crank (no oil pump on my motor), do a little shake, rattle and role until it slips in a bit more, a little of a bump to get it in the rest of the way.

I cannot in any way imagine your oil pump housing holding up the complete insertion. Remember, it is installed over the crank. The driveshaft goes into the crank. Maybe you are being held up by the lips of the driveshaft seal within the oil pump housing and not the oil pump housing itself? Maybe you need to jam it in her a little bit?

Anyway, retired I am. Well sort of. I'm involved in another car project swapping engines, transmissions, and sub-frame at the moment and expecting delivery of parts I have to be present for delivery tomorrow and Friday.

Give it your best shot again. I'll certainly come up to Flagler Beach to witness your dilemma. I have a great little establishment I love to visit in Daytona when close. Don't know about this weekend though, 500 Week! If I had tickets, it would be different!
        Chuck,
        1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

we'll give it another go tomorrow , I had also thought it might be the seal as it's brand new , but we battled for over an hour to get it in there , you would think at some point we would have hit it right. as I've said , I can get the driveshaft up to the oil pump opening , but no further , just seems that something unforgiving is holding it up

Comment

how far into the oil pump before engaging the crank splines ? I made a dummy shaft out of some extensions , and a socket that is exactly the same diameter as the driveshaft , and it only goes in about 3/16 before bottoming out on something. Obviously , since it doesn't have any splines , it would be bottoming out on the crank

Comment

I really can't imagine it as even being possible - but

are you sure you got the speedy sleeve installed properly -

and the oil pump properly seated and bolted up?

you were earlier in the thread mentioning some mysterious leakage of oil when you put the powerhead back in place...

Comment

from what I could tell , the pump was flush to the bottom of the power head . going to have to pull power head in the morning again , and recheck everything. I still think its a misalignment thing

Comment

I looked at my F150 manual and the oil pump looks pretty basic and one way simple installation, NO cautions, no make sure *** happens....
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                    I looked at my F150 manual and the oil pump looks pretty basic and one way simple installation, NO cautions, no make sure *** happens....
                    true - but re-installing the LU should be much the same!

and there is a "caution" on the orientation of the speedi-sleeve to the chankshaft....

Comment

• when I have the powerhead off , I'm going to see if I can slide the driveshaft into the oil pump , that should confirm the misalignment problem I'm seeing

Comment

• Originally posted by gsdanno1 View Post
                        when I have the powerhead off , I'm going to see if I can slide the driveshaft into the oil pump , that should confirm the misalignment problem I'm seeing
                        Agreed! Bet it's something simply... Your very close, good luck..
                        Scott

Comment

• Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                          I am so not understanding this; you are looking up through the driveshaft bushing???

I've removed & replaced powerheads both ways: with LU/driveshaft present, and removed.
                          Personally, I found it a LOT harder to lower the engine down over the driveshaft
                          Check that driveshaft bushing, like I said before. Even the one in this pic seems to be off center. Probably worn on the outside diameter of the bushing and stuck off center? You can easily pull the circlip and bushing to inspect.

[IMG]F150.DriveshaftBushing by Charles Postis, on Flickr[/IMG]
                          Chuck,
                          1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

• replaced it yesterday , no difference. I pulled the powerhead again this morning , removed the oil pump , took off the cover , checked the gears , reassembled and re installed pump and power head , and the misalignment was gone. Everything went back together , has 63 lbs oil pressure at idle , BUT , when I put the motor in gear there is a knocking sound from I believe the lower unit , I drained all the oil , which looked a little suspicious , re filled and the noise is still there. I've never run a motor in gear out of the water , but this seemed loud to me. I had muffs on the lower unit while running

Comment

• The small metal retainer for the WP impeller is not fully pushed down on the drive shaft. There's approx 2mm's of play up and down in the drive shaft.

The knocking won't hurt anything, just annoying..

I just changed out my WP last week. To eliminate the play, use an open end wrench, JUST large enough to fit around the drive shaft. I used some wood to hold the wrench parallel to the retainer.

Now pull up on the driveshaft while turning slowly clockwise and tap the end of the wrench pushing the retainer down FULLY. The play will be gone as will the knocking...

And congrates on the fix!!!!
                              Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 02-24-2017, 05:57 PM.
                              Scott

Comment

• wouldn't it knock all the time if it related to the water pump ?

Comment

Working...
                                X