No announcement yet.

access to oil pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just went out with a flashlight , and can see inside the oil pump , and it has oil inside , which is then gathering on the outside edge of the opening , causing a drip . I am doing the white paper towel test to check it over the next few hours . I just think that when I filled the pump with oil , I used too much, and that's what I'm seeing. Really don't want to pull the powerhead off if I don't have to

Comment

I left out a key bit of information. I had a friend helping me with reinstalling the powerhead last night. In my excitement to get it reinstalled , I forgot to install the shift rod , so we had to raise it off the center section , and at that time noticed there was oil on the upper mounting bolt cover. I really didn't think much of it since there was no oil in the engine , I assumed it was from filling the pump

Comment

I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pull the powerhead again . Will I be able to reuse the gasket , or buy another one since it's been torqued

Comment

buy another one.
          I would not trust it as it has been crushed.

Comment

any thoughts on where the oil could be coming from

Comment

dunno.
              most likly where you filled the pump.

Comment

splain to me how the oil pump does not directly line up with the driveshaft tube. can't get the lower unit back in to save myself

Comment

F150? think it could only be the crankshaft itself -
                  rotate the flywheel a skootch a try again

Comment

Definition of skootch

skootch

noun

a small amount.

Is this similar to an RCH?

Comment

did that all afternoon , driveshaft isn't extending far enough into the oil pump to engage the splines in the crank . As an example , lets say the diameter of the tube is 1" , and the opening of the pump is 3/4" . I should be able to see 1/8" of the oil pump body all around the driveshaft tube. What I have is almost nothing at the "top" of the diameter of the tube , and about 3/16" at the bottom . I don't see how this is physically possible due to the way everything bolts together. The powerhead is flat on its mounting , as is everything else , all mounting bolts torqued to specs

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                        Definition of skootch

skootch

noun

a small amount.

Is this similar to an RCH?
                        are they really smaller in diameter than blondes?

Comment

that was helpful

Comment

sorry about that,
                            from the explanation you give, it means to me
                            the pump is not centered .

I do not think the pump has enough slack to do this.

but I know very little about your motor

Comment

just kidding , but rch's are smaller. Pump can only go on one way , no room for adjustment , that's what is so strange .

Comment

Is it possible the NEW oil pump splines are smaller or different than the original pump?

If the mid section wasn't bolted up to the powerhead, I'd say try sticking the LU drive shaft directly into the oil pump... See if it goes in....
                                Scott
                                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                                X