No announcement yet.

Yamaha 9.9 4T oil consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I noticed that some amount of oil comes out from vent pipe at max load engine.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
      I cannot tell a lie.
      so I will take the 5th .
      Since I spent about 30 years inside large chemical plants , I was able to see people that should have been using breathing air or respirators on some jobs that did not.
      Some got to make the trip to get checked out medically after they dropped to their hands and knees coughing and puking.

heard of some that screwed up their lungs and died.
      I spent most of my time around CL2 production and liquefying plants, but was exposed to others often enough to pay attention to their safety rules also

I would want to know what that stuff was and what it could do to me if inhaling the burnt fumes or get the product on my skin if I was around it any at all.
      As I got older I was not as bullet proof as when young

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        Since I spent about 30 years inside large chemical plants , I was able to see people that should have been using breathing air or respirators on some jobs that did not.
        Some got to make the trip to get checked out medically after they dropped to their hands and knees coughing and puking.

heard of some that screwed up their lungs and died.
        I spent most of my time around CL2 production and liquefying plants, but was exposed to others often enough to pay attention to their safety rules also

I would want to know what that stuff was and what it could do to me if inhaling the burnt fumes or get the product on my skin if I was around it any at all.
        As I got older I was not as bullet proof as when young
        I believe CPostis did some research awhile back on the active chemical in many of the decarbon solutions. I don't recall what it was now. I bet he will recall...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by pakostane View Post
            The harder it's run, the more air gets past the rings, then pressurizing the crankcase where it's then blown into the air box. The engine then sucks that back into the engine and burns it..

Note: I bought a mid 70's dodge slant 6 engine that would blow literally 5 quarts of oil OUT THE DIP STICK in 15 miles.

Pulled the engine and found the compression rings EXTREMELY WORN with an end gap of approx 1/4" (NOT in the thousands of an inch).

New rings were installed, end gap was just outside of tolerances by maybe .002".

Stopped the blow by, my BIL drove that car for YEARS W/O issue...(NO leaks/blow by, oil usage).
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I will also change piston rings, that only would fix oil consumption. What about connection rod? There si no bearings. Just dissasembly and assembly without new bearings because there are no bearings.

Comment

You can check clearances / surfaces, etc, but you should be fine using the same rods...

Most small engines don't use separate rod bearings, the connecting rod IS the bearing...

*Been that way for decades for small engines, lawn mowers, generators, etc...
                Scott

Comment

why not test the motor and then try a cleaner to see if you can unstick the rings if that is what the problem is?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    why not test the motor and then try a cleaner to see if you can unstick the rings if that is what the problem is?
                    I suggested that several times thru out this thread (thus RB posted the dealer ONLY product after I asked) however, the poster wouldn't / didn't respond to that suggestion...

It would certainly be a lot easier. According to RB, he has brought engines with leak-down tests from approx 60% to acceptable levels...
                    Scott

Comment

When head was dissasebled I put some cemical for carbon on piston forhead and left overnight. It did not help. Maybe ring are not stucked in carbon, maybe the rings are worn. Maybe engine was overheat by last owner. I think the best solution is to change rings.

Comment

we have no idea what chemical you used or if you followed the directions on using it.
                        All of the ones I have used required running the motor to use the heat of combustion to get the carbon out

I have removed rings on a small 2 stroke motor (leaf blower) before to clean the rings and grooves of carbon build up and re installed with good results.
                        but this was on a motor less that 2 years old and the compression test showed that the cylinder was not sealing properly before, but came up after putting back together.

Pulling rings can break them, just like putting them on the pistons if not careful.

Good luck with getting this thing running properly with not having to spend too much money.

let us know how it works out

Comment

And plz take some pic's of the rings.

PS. Check ring end gap of the old rings to check for wear.....
                          Scott

Comment

Of course I will post pictures of old rings.

Comment

I have some time and I decided to deassembly my engine. On first picture you can see pistons with rings. There are no carbon. Looks not so bad. End gap first, second and oil ring 0.60mm.

On second pictures you can see broken oil pipe. I broke them during deassembling engine. It is very hard and fragile plastik. Whether it was from rubber when it was new? Can I put there some rubber pipe or I have to buy new oem part, because of oil temperature?

On old rings no TOP mark. Is it matter which side of ring on top side?
                              Last edited by pakostane; 01-02-2017, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                                I believe CPostis did some research awhile back on the active chemical in many of the decarbon solutions. I don't recall what it was now. I bet he will recall...
                                Here's my post on this:
                                Did a little digging, I'm not going to send a bunch of links to "prove" what I say, but here's a summary IMO:

The secret ingredient in Yamaha Ring Free Plus, Yamaha Internal Engine Cleaner (YIEC), CRC 1 Tank Power Renew (They state "The highest concentration of PEA (Polyetheramine) detergency on the market", ヤマルーブ PEAカーボンクリーナー (Yamagata-LUBE PEA carbon cleaner, for sale in Japan only?), any many others appears to be "Polyetheramine" (PEA). Looking at the MSDS sheet for this chemical (Extreemly nasty stuff!), it states "for industrial use only". At what concentration, I do not know. So I presume YIEC is above the threshold, when the threshold began I don't know either? So the Yamaha "dealer-applied product"?

I'm sure all the various additives have somewhat different polyetheramine derivatives.

What this means, IRDC, because I use Ring Free regularly in my outboard I don't plan on having to decarb. Even if I did, I'll probably go to a dealer and have them use YIEC. Now, on my smaller non-outboard engines, I'll kind of shock treat (not decarb) the fuel system if they hard start or run poorly before I rebuild/clean the carbs. I've done this successfully quite a few times.

Patent US5112364 - Gasoline-engine fuels containing polyetheramines or polyetheramine derivatives - Google Patents
                                http://worldaccount.basf.com/wa/NAFT...f880090860.pdf

Here's a link to a US PEA product for "four stroke engines only":

AR6400-G (16oz) - Professional Fuel System and Engine Cleaner (Treats 25 gallons of gasoline)
                                1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Working...
                                X