No announcement yet.

Yamaha tachograf problems please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Command Link is what Yamaha calls their NMEA 2000 network.

Comment

Originally posted by pubertfester View Post
      it is posible to be this connector? [ATTACH]2648[/ATTACH]?
      if no, what is this for?
      i ask you that because i don't find the principal connector show in red in your diagram! what it is for the 2 wires who was cut?( 2 wires with isolation band near the connector from my hand)?
      That is the connector for Yamaha analog gauges. Needle and dial type or the Yamaha conventional multi-function tachometer.

Comment

the "Command Link" it is also nmea network? or it is just digital data from engine computer? thanke you again for the (picture)answer it was difficult to me to identify this "Command Link" plug because in wires diagram don't apear with color or someting else to recognize it.
        Yes, Command Link is Yamaha's name for NMEA2000 data - using their proprietary connectors.

My photo is from my 2005 - the plug on your engine may be a different color - perhaps gray - but the two wires should still be white & blue.

Those colors are the NMEA2000 standard colors for the data conductors - I am pleasantly surprised that Yamaha followed it....

Comment

This is what I think you are coming from. If you are going to the Command Link gauge you use a different connector that should be in the bottom of the engine pan.

Comment

i found the connector you show me exactly in your picture( blue and white wire), i connect the 6y8 tach gauge to this ( blue wire to blue, white wire to white, ) and power the 6y8 tach gauge 12V+ red wire, black to ground(12v -) from engine power, and the gauge has open but don't show me trim or engine revolution or something else ( voltage . etc..) Some sugestions please? i should connect / disconnect something else for a good function of gauge? it is posible to don 't work command link connector? Thanks in advance!

Comment

how i test command link connector ? it is posibble to be inactive?

Comment

i found the connector you show me exactly in your picture( blue and white wire), i connect the 6y8 tach gauge to this ( blue wire to blue, white wire to white, ) and power the 6y8 tach gauge 12V+ red wire, black to ground(12v -) from engine power, and the gauge has open but don't show me trim or engine revolution or something else ( voltage . etc..) Some sugestions please? i should connect / disconnect something else for a good function of gauge? it is posible to don 't work command link connector? Thanks in advance!
                You can not expect to simply connect the gauge and engine wires.

They must both be "on a NMEA 2000 network".

Which means that there is a "terminating resistor" at either "end" of the data connection.

Of course Yamaha would like you to use their special wires and devices.
                You could also use "standard" NMEA 2000 wiring & connectors.

I suppose you could just do it with common wire and techniques.
                But you need to include 2 resistors -IIRC, each 60 ohm.

Google up how a NMEA 2000 network works.

Comment

Did you follow the diagram and is the gauge connected exactly as described? If the gauge is wired directly to the motor it is not going to work.

With respect to engine trim, you need to find the two single pin connectors having pink wires and usually being connected together with yellow tape. Remove the tap and the caps to the connectors. Then attach the two together.

NMEA 2000 resistors are 120 ohms. If measured the circuit will indicate 60 ohms. The resistors are in parallel.

Comment

hello, i belive was not so difficult to connect a tach to engine, but is, so .....
                    need last hand help, i have the gauge and the small cable who connect to this, and the engine, what should buy to make this tach function well, i don't want to expand the network to others gauges - i wont just this tach to indicate and that's all. it is a must have - the multi hub ? or to simplify the network it is necesary just a special cable for single tach and single engine? i found in google a lot of possible combinations to make this and now i am confused.
                    thanks a lot!
                    good forum and good advice from users - good job!!!http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/i...ons/icon14.gif

Comment

It is not necessary to use the Yamaha multi hub - or any brand of specialized NMEA 2000 wiring/devices -

(at least probably not on the minimal "network" you desire)

but you DO have to mimic the circuitry that those devices would automatically provide!

Here is the pictorial form of what you need using "standard NMEA 2000 parts"

I will try to find /sketch the simple schematic this represents

Comment

ok, foud this in our store, just this model Starter_Kit_Lowrance_NMEA_2000.jpg could be ok ? it look like in your picture.

Comment

I believe this is the circuit you need to create a "network" between the engine and guage

so you will need wire AND 2 resistors

(I don't "off hand" know the Command Link guage pin identification as to which equate to data white, data blue, 12v+, and ground)

Boscoe - what do you think of this?

Comment

if i must do (home made ) the network please tell me on my scheme how to connect the resistors and wires look at my schemescheme ok.jpg

resistors specifications? to the store buy any tipe of 120 ohm resistors?
                            Last edited by pubertfester; 08-19-2016, 07:16 AM.

Comment

ok, foud this in our store, just this model [ATTACH]2652[/ATTACH] could be ok ? it look like in your picture.
                              Yes - absolutely -

that is a NMEA "starter kit" which gives you almost everything you need

except a means to connect to the proprietary Yamaha plugs at engine and gauge

On my own Yamaha F225, I simply did away with the Yamaha connector and the end of a NMEA cable and mated with simple bullet connectors

The gauge end is a bit more challenging....

I have seen that 4-terminal plug for sale as a field-installable part - but don't have a link to a website

Or you could spend more on one of several sources's adapter wires:

https://www.amazon.com/Lowrance-Yama.../dp/B0012R2PHG

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                                I believe this is the circuit you need to create a "network" between the engine and guage

so you will need wire AND 2 resistors

(I don't "off hand" know the Command Link guage pin identification as to which equate to data white, data blue, 12v+, and ground)

Boscoe - what do you think of this?

resistors specifications? to the store buy any tipe of 120 ohm resistors?

Comment

Working...
                                X