YDS, version 1.33, diagnostic question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2005 f150 comm port

Could anyone spot a picture or give good description my issue is i got the YDS all loaded , comm 1 etc etc ready to try and find come and go misfire and I can not for the life of me find the port on the engine. I have been told is below the front cover hatch and it does not seem to be there . I have searched and searched for manual , you tube whatever to find it and I cant . One you tube looks to maybe hooking it to the port side of engine close to one of the coil packs!! any assistance would be graciously accepted .

LF150TXR SERIAL 1005821

Thanks Mike

Comment

The port is covered with a cap. Dark gray in colour. The cap has a bit of fishing line to keep it from being lost.

The YDIS coupler is below and to the left of the ECU.

https://www.google.com/search?q=yama...hDlNlEGOKWnhM:

Comment

Originally posted by Tunamike View Post
        Could anyone spot a picture or give good description my issue is i got the YDS all loaded , comm 1 etc etc ready to try and find come and go misfire and I can not for the life of me find the port on the engine. I have been told is below the front cover hatch and it does not seem to be there . I have searched and searched for manual , you tube whatever to find it and I cant . One you tube looks to maybe hooking it to the port side of engine close to one of the coil packs!! any assistance would be graciously accepted .

LF150TXR SERIAL 1005821

Thanks Mike
        Here ya go Mike, my 06 F150:

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-14-2017, 06:29 PM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

com port

Excellent thanks for the great photos and comments pretty sure i should be able to locate it this weekend !!!!

Mike

Comment

Excellent thanks for the great photos and comments pretty sure i should be able to locate it this weekend !!!!

Mike
            Your welcome...

Just a side note, the engine balancer has been updated from Yamaha to a type 4.

If you don't have a type 4, I'd strongly suggest you replace it. Earlier models have failed spewing "teeth" thru out the engine.

Back in 2012, Yamaha replaced mine with a type 3(under warranty). It's since been updated to the type 4. Any kind of "whine" you can hear from it (like a super-charger) is NOT good.

You can do it yourself in 1-1.5 hours taking your time..

My old type 3:

Block ready for the new one:
            Scott

Comment

Just out of curiosity as i search for this Type 3/4 balance shaft assy they all say 2006 and up does this mean if mine is 2005 it is okay?

did get the YDS hooked up and working could not find a mis fire history that i was hoping to find but did pull the diagnostics etc. now the balance shaft deal has me a little concerned

Comment

as i search for this Type 3/4 balance shaft assy they all say 2006 and up
                that's a disappointing limitation of the boat.net website

its just telling you that the part was used "on a model that came after 2005"

to pin it down to to the actual year, you can look at the parts listing acessible through the actual Yamaha USA site

yamahaoutboards.com

from a quick look, seems the -03 was introduced into production starting 4/2008

Comment

I bought my '06 new in early 2007.

While still under warranty in 2012, The local dealership brought to my attention about issues with the balancer. It was replaced then with a type 3 (the latest version at the time).

Since then, they came out with a type 4, the latest version. I called Yamaha and asked what version they replaced my original with-yup, a type 3...

I got several different answers from Yamaha about the change between the 3 and 4 types. I was told, slightly looser tolerances, quieter and an additional oiling hole.

I was also told if you listen to the balancer and it sounds like a super charger whine, its toast.

About two months ago, I had a new sound that sounded like an old fan belt. Thought it was the tensioner (it did have some extra play, replaced it, no change). Listening very closely to the balancer(by the fuel filter), it did sound like a super charger.

After reading about another members balancer letting loose, complete engine tear down, I decided to spring for the type 4.

Taking my time, it took me about two hours. And I know the tech that did it the first time did NOT do several things...

With the new balancer installed, no more "super charger sound" AND the "noisy fan belt" noise was GONE...

Best $400 I spent, just for piece of mind.

Your's is likely a type two, haven't heard of a type 3 blowing up (teeth go away) but my type 3 was definitely making some odd noises...

IMO, change that out, $400 or $14,000 for a new motor.

Basic hand tools, torque wrench, instructions (as a PDF) are available and very clear..

I know the parts diagram here still shows the earlier styles.

Call and order the type 4. (the 1-3 types may be superseded) but the ONLY markings I could find to differentiate each was the PART 3 on the box.

Nothing on the balancer itself..
                  Scott

Comment

is there any casting and or part numbers that you can tell which Balancer are on the motors without pulling them off?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tunamike View Post
                      is there any casting and or part numbers that you can tell which Balancer are on the motors without pulling them off?
                      No. Even by removing the balancer you cannot tell what configuration it is.

The parts catalog will tell you which configuration balancer was installed on the motor at the factory.

The maintenance records will tell you which configuration (if any) was installed after delivery.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tunamike View Post
                        Nope, nothing inside or out.

You can call Yamaha headquarters and see if it was updated (thru Yamaha as mine was to a type 3). And the type 3 was the latest as of 2012,
                        (I verified thru Yamaha that's what was put on at the dealership then).

Dunno when the type 4 came out...

Scott

Comment

• From what I have read, the -04 was introduced mid 2012.

Comment

• Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                            From what I have read, the -04 was introduced mid 2012.
                            Now ya made me look it up in my maintenance log...

It (type 3) was installed 5-15-12.. Figures....

Scott

Comment

• Waiting for Boscoe to swoop in and tell me I'm wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                                Waiting for Boscoe to swoop in and tell me I'm wrong.
                                The type 4 must have come out right AFTER they did mine. I'm trying to re-call if they had to order it or not....

BTW, Jethro's asked me about any casting #'s on my previous balancer.

Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X