No announcement yet.

Unsticking a stuck lower unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I STILL don't get the OX-sea thing, I know about OX66 but "sea", how 66 can be swapped to sea is way over my head! anyway, that's neither here nor there, the fact remains, the driveshaft is still seized in the crank.......my thoughts are still to use until it really has to come off, that might be years or days, no one knows for sure.
    Last edited by ausnoelm; 01-12-2023, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
      I STILL don't get the OX-sea thing, I know about OX66 but "sea", how 66 can be swapped to sea is way over my head! anyway, that's neither here nor there, the fact remains, the driveshaft is still seized in the crank.......my thoughts are still to use until it really has to come off, that might be years or days, no one knows for sure.
      I would not worry too much. I took the “sea” to be a Bajakeith thing, he doesn’t distinguish his spelling between that and “ see.” either Like we add a simple “y” upto “sey” to almost everything including names: thingy, Keithy etc.
      Last edited by zenoahphobic; 01-12-2023, 07:17 PM.

Comment

One of the worst things I have to do, is tell someone they melted a piston or ruined a good motor due lack of mantenance. Sea ya

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
          if you read his posts, most do not make a whole lot of since with the way he writes, so just try reading with the best you can and figure out what he is saying

Comment

Originally posted by Keithbaja View Post
            One of the worst things I have to do, is tell someone they melted a piston or ruined a good motor due lack of mantenance. Sea ya
            Yep, agree 100%, but......now and then you buy something that has been neglected, then you are limited in choices, start surgery, or, just keep on running it, the chance of the water pump failing is always there, but, hopefully the alarm will alert the user before catastrophe, (but, maybe not) so, the owner must decide on the next plan, remove, hang upside down, drill holes, cut the shaft, keep trying, leave it alone!

Comment

I suspect there was some heavy drinking involved.

Comment

OK, the challenge has begun

All (9) bolts are out - but (4) of the main bolts are screwed halfway in. I have a few wedges in place, as well.

1CF5B7BC-D8CF-474B-B504-222A793DA5CB.jpg

02988-C3-B-663-F-4-DFF-B6-DB-2-EC75787-C4-A5.jpg

43C2531C-1A49-4CDD-972A-2170F5C7F882.jpg
                2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

that last pic does look bad, lots of soaking.
                  good luck
                  I thought you could get to it without drilling holes,
                  like someone mentioned was needed

Comment

LOL !! Ain't been here in a month or so.. Try using "Areokroil" its magic sauce....... Those oxysea's are worth saving

Comment

Dennis I dont want to discourage you as it looks like you put a lot of work into building that framework and getting it upside down!

I had a 20 Mercury hanging upside down similar to that in my shop for nearly two years. It was hung from a rafter close to the end wall with a come along and bolted to the floor right into a joist 6x6. Sprayed it with everything known to man, heat and shocked the shaft with a rivet gun. Put so much pressure with the come along I could hear wood starting to creak! Wedges of all types and I never got it apart. Sold it for parts.

Cut the shaft on another one after much of the same. Ever hear of rust jacking? Rust expands and a shaft in a socket is just about the worst place for it. It may as well be welded together. But you may as well try and hope for the best!

If You do get it out, and I really hope you do, be prepared that the socket on the end of the crank may well not have any splines left...or very little.

Those wedges that loggers use are super tough and wont split..but the case might. I would put some heat to it, talking propane torch gently as the seals are in danger doing that.

Dont know what to say but good luck!

Comment

Looks bad from here, I agree with Panasonic. I’m worried you will eventually need a new crankshaft, that end looks like a dinasaur bone that I recently saw (100 million years old). Interesting to see how and if it will “part”. Thanks for keeping us informed with pictures. Worth trying. I’m afraid this doesn’t look like a straight pull out job, it will need jiggling which means cutting (destroying) the prop shaft. Might then just also replace the crankshaft.
                        Last edited by zenoahphobic; 02-07-2023, 01:04 AM.

Comment

LOL !! Ain't been here in a month or so.. Try using "Areokroil" its magic sauce....... Those oxysea's are worth saving
                          Honestly I don't find it much, if any, better than any other penetrating fluids.

Stick "Aero" on front of anything and people think they are getting something way better! Its usually not the case...

AeroKroil just went through a very long process of getting it approved for use on aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                            Dennis I dont want to discourage you as it looks like you put a lot of work into building that framework and getting it upside down!

I had a 20 Mercury hanging upside down similar to that in my shop for nearly two years. It was hung from a rafter close to the end wall with a come along and bolted to the floor right into a joist 6x6. Sprayed it with everything known to man, heat and shocked the shaft with a rivet gun. Put so much pressure with the come along I could hear wood starting to creak! Wedges of all types and I never got it apart. Sold it for parts.

Cut the shaft on another one after much of the same. Ever hear of rust jacking? Rust expands and a shaft in a socket is just about the worst place for it. It may as well be welded together. But you may as well try and hope for the best!

If You do get it out, and I really hope you do, be prepared that the socket on the end of the crank may well not have any splines left...or very little.

Those wedges that loggers use are super tough and wont split..but the case might. I would put some heat to it, talking propane torch gently as the seals are in danger doing that.

Dont know what to say but good luck!
                            I actually just repurposed a rolling engine stand I had made a few years ago. The 4x4's are the original. That part was pretty simple. I have overhead hoists in the ceiling of that room so that wasn't too bad, either - just backed the boat in (nice and warm, too!) to remove the engine.

Your "socket" comment is one I didn't think of. Hmmmm...
                            2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                            1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

OMG !! I've saved a many systems over the the years with kroioil.. If u want to learn about aviation oils, look up boesheild T-9 get a grip !!

Comment

There's that "oxysea" thing again, please tell me how you interpret that?

Comment

Working...
                                X