No announcement yet.

Unsticking a stuck lower unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Keith. I'm definitely adding AeroKroil to my arsenal. I've heard really good things about it.

Can you please expand on "where" you are suggesting to drill a hole? Do mean in the mid-section casing?
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by Keithbaja;n237576[B
      ]When u get the motor turned upside down, drill a small hole above the drive shaft bushing (now below)[/B] and use the Lil red tube a start spraying at least in the morn and late afternoon. U can shoot up to get the bushing. Also, shoot some above the shiftshaft coupler. Which is seldom the problem. I highly recommend "AreoKroil" the stuff in the orange can. Makes all other penertrating oils, look like crap. Which it is, compared to what most of us call "Kro-Oil" if you called it "areokroil" to a part guy he might look at u strange.. Magic sauce. Miracle working stuff. Be very consistant and liberal with it. Good luck. U will get.. Trying to cut a driveshaft isn't the way to go..that's not needed unless u have a Super RARE case....

looks like you have to figure out where the driveshaft bushing is located for follow his directions

but since he said with motor upside down drill above the bushing, it sounds like he is thinking it is the bushing that is stuck

but if it is the driveshaft into the crank that is stuck, you should be able to spray the shaft itself without drilling holes with it upside down
      Last edited by 99yam40; 01-09-2023, 12:04 PM.

Comment

I have had very few bushings issues. And they come apart with some effort. Drilling The hole would be above the bushing in the upwrite (normal position) it would be good for you to look at some mid sections if possible to understand & know where to drill a access hole that you can fill with JB weld or similar glue/goop. Drilling hole isn't gonna damage the unit. And when spraying/soaking move can/noozle around and up and down.. DROWN it. After removing LU you clean the drilled hole area on the inside to patch. Floods in Cali..YIKES ! My creek is now a river......

Comment

Agree - I'm not worried about holes. Fixing those is the easy part.

Yeah, I can't imagine the bushing holidng things up with how much I was banging on this thing. But it certainly can't hurt to spray everything down!

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            but if it is the driveshaft into the crank that is stuck, you should be able to spray the shaft itself without drilling holes with it upside down
            I agree. I'll know more once I get into this (hopefully relatively soon), but I'm even going to try to make a "dam" out of putty to contain the chemicals around the shaft/crank connection point. From memory, though, I think that's a long shot as I probably can't get good enough access to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post

I agree. I'll know more once I get into this (hopefully relatively soon), but I'm even going to try to make a "dam" out of putty to contain the chemicals around the shaft/crank connection point. From memory, though, I think that's a long shot as I probably can't get good enough access to do that.
              but you can get to the drive shaft without drilling any hole with the motor upside down, correct?

if so why does he recommend drilling the hole to begin with?

Comment

90yamy. On a ox'sea (2stroke) u can't access the top of the drive shaft Like alot of 4 strokes where the shaft go's in to the oil pump on a lot of motor's. To clean the splines I use a old metal coat hanger with a tight 7/16 bend and a fuzzy rag soaked in brake kleen. For installing get a tube of Spline grease, sierra, merc, yammy and with finger lube up the splines, not the top (end) of drive shaft. A small dap on shift coulper and all mounting bolts for a good measure. I'll never forget I called the local Yamaha dealer here and the part guy past me to their "mechanic" (used loosely) he had never heard of spline grease and said he uses wheel bearing grease !! OMG. Gonna have to write a book for retirement....

Comment

but you can get to the drive shaft without drilling any hole with the motor upside down, correct?

if so why does he recommend drilling the hole to begin with?
                  From what I remember when I looked at it last, yes. At least enough to get the air hammer extension/blunt end in there. Although now that I think about, I'm not sure if I can get RIGHT to the shaft/crank connection - but I'm 99% sure I can get to the shaft near the crank, anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Keithbaja View Post
                    90yamy. On a ox'sea (2stroke) u can't access the top of the drive shaft Like alot of 4 strokes where the shaft go's in to the oil pump on a lot of motor's. To clean the splines I use a old metal coat hanger with a tight 7/16 bend and a fuzzy rag soaked in brake kleen. For installing get a tube of Spline grease, sierra, merc, yammy and with finger lube up the splines, not the top (end) of drive shaft. A small dap on shift coulper and all mounting bolts for a good measure. I'll never forget I called the local Yamaha dealer here and the part guy past me to their "mechanic" (used loosely) he had never heard of spline grease and said he uses wheel bearing grease !! OMG. Gonna have to write a book for retirement....
                    Keith, I'll be honest - I was going to use Mercury's Extreme grease as it seems that stuff was formulated to use everywhere... which sure does make it nice as I only need one gun!

What's the big difference with spline grease... and are you familiar enough with the Extreme grease to comment on whether it's fine to use it in this application? I suppose, though, that if I start doing this every season (pulling the lower) then probably just about anything would work?

Comment

Most automotive grease (wheel bearing and so on) are clay based and will dry out and turn to hardened "glue" in quite short time. True marine grease (not just water proof) does not harden, and should always be used on steering and places like that, never use automotive grease on your steering....ever.

Comment

Hi, DennisGo1. I havnt used mercury extreme grease. So I can't say with authority. I used to use their 2-4-C w/ Telflon. I use Serria, or mercury spline grease and always have a Tube of OMC Tripleguard. For Just about everything. Salt water proof, vibration proof, won't wing off. Its Just the all around best grease in my Opinion. I have used on drive shaft splines and Serviced the same drive with good results.. BUT, Spline grease is what's called for. So I try not to Run low and have to substitute with OMC Triple guard. Get a tube, you will love it.. Be careful its sticky and can get everywhere. When was the last time this lwr unit was removed ? BTW I love ox-sea's. Tough, simple workhorse's. Somewhere I have a "blinkly light for those motors....

Comment

Thanks for the follow up, Keith!

Comment

I just went thru both threads again looking for what motor this is, and I did not find it.
                            did you even post what this motor is?

Comment

Being off season & I have time... Young family went to recently divorced aunts house in the country for Xmas. Dad took the young son and daughter for a hike out in the woods for their first hike in nature.. A bee landed on the trail and the young boy instantly squashed it.. Dad said,, OK no honey for you till next Year.. A while later,, a butterfly landed & the young boy squashed it without thinking. Dad says OK son, no butter for you till next Xmas.. They returned back to aunties house as Xmas dinner was being served. Half way into the meal a ****roach came crawling across the the floor and the young aunt instantly reached out with her foot a crushed it.....the young boy looked up at dad and said "well, do you tell her, or me?" In regard to 99 yammy....

Comment

I just went thru both threads again looking for what motor this is, and I did not find it.
                                did you even post what this motor is?
                                I may not have said it in the actual post because I have it in my signature - I didn't go back and look but I trust you! But it sounds like my signature isn't viewable to others (I can see it)?

Comment

Working...
                                X