Steering tension adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

That looks like cable steering to me…not hydraulic…

Comment

I think that a visit to a Yamaha mechanic is in order.

Comment

the one pic through me at first, but I am thinking that is what the steering wheel is hooked to and the steering cable runs from it to the motor

Comment

It is cable. I mistook the one part for a hydraulic component. So how does one tighten up loose steering. There isn’t okay in the wheel, the motor just turns so easily that u can’t take hand off for a second at slow speed without it going full to the stop and turning

Comment

Tighten the friction screw at the helm drum.

Comment

does this show what you have ?
                I do not see it in your pics
                Yamaha Outboard 80HP OEM Parts Diagram for Steering Friction | Boats.net
                Last edited by 99yam40; 07-03-2022, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Sure looks like it yep. I see the word "friction" but dont see anything that would tighten it up.

Comment

You don't see a wing nut, a bolt and a split clamp?

Comment

take a good pic of what you have that says friction and post it where we can see it.

Comment

Wonder if a motorcycle style steering damper could be designed to fit on steering arm on motor?….my VW rail buggy has a small hydraulic cylinder type steering damper up front…takes the play/shimmy out of steering…..seems like a reasonable idea for outboards….My old C90 Yamaha has very smooth/free steering that pretty well requires a hand on the wheel to prevent turns…

Comment

Comment

Comment

I had a steering box where it had a screw underneath on the bulkhead side of the steering box behind the wheel on or through the cover that held the steering to the dashboard. It had a friction pad that run on the steering shaft that you tightened or loosened to what you wanted.
                              Not a Yamaha product, didn’t think Yamaha made anything to do with push/pull cable systems at the steering end.

Comment

Need to provide an extended picture of that box showing all the components all the way to the steering wheel

Comment

Working...
                                X