Steering tension adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering tension adjustment

I have a 2000 f80. The steering used to be fairly tight but when the motor was removed to replace transom, it came back very loose. By loose I mean if I let go of the wheel while *****ing, it starts an instant hard turn. The trim tab is set for the cruise speed I use the most but I would like to increase the steering tension so that when I am *****ing I can take hands off wheel without it turning full right. My question is, where or is there even a steering tension adjustment? I cant find one visually and the manual does not show one. (I have steering console, not tiller)

What type of steering system? Hydraulic, cable, push pull, or ?

If the trim tab is adjusted properly then at your cruise speed and chosen trim angle, there should be no tendency of the motor to want to turn in either direction. The right/left turn effort should be the same.

Comment

A wing nut on the steering rod on the front of the engine that can be tightened...I believe I seen before?

Comment

Its the hydraulic arm type steering. And as I said, the trim tab is set so the boat goes straight at my usual cruising speed. Thats not where the issue is. WHen at minimum speed (idle) if I take my hand off the wheel for a second, the motor turns full to one side. I was in a buddys new boat with a Yamaha 115 and while *****ing and evening in the up position on the trailer, it sits straight. I just want it so that if I take my hands off at *****ing speed it doesnt do an instant donut.
        Last edited by Gurkenrat; 06-29-2022, 05:00 PM.

Comment

And panansonic, are you talking about the nut at the joint of the hydraulic arm and steering rod? Just tighten that up? I assumed it was something on the motor/bracket

Comment

Originally posted by Gurkenrat View Post
            Its the hydraulic arm type steering. And as I said, the trim tab is set so the boat goes straight at my usual cruising speed. Thats not where the issue is. WHen at minimum speed (idle) if I take my hand off the wheel for a second, the motor turns full to one side. I was in a buddys new boat with a Yamaha 115 and while *****ing and evening in the up position on the trailer, it sits straight. I just want it so that if I take my hands off at *****ing speed it doesnt do an instant donut.
            The trim tab is not set so that the boat goes straight. The trim tab is set so that at your desired cruise speed and engine trim angle the left and right steering effort is the same. If the steering effort is the same there is no tendency for the propeller to turn the motor.

If the motor is able to turn the steering wheel then I would think that the no feed back mechanism within the steering system has failed.

Comment

I am wondering if someone let fluid out of the system. Let dirt in. 22 year old system if it was new with the motor might need to be filled and purged of air. After cleaning the check valves.

Last edited by boscoe99; 06-29-2022, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Hydraulic steering usually has check valves that lock or prevent engine torque from steering, one of the reasons for using that system.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurkenrat View Post
                  And panansonic, are you talking about the nut at the joint of the hydraulic arm and steering rod? Just tighten that up? I assumed it was something on the motor/bracket
                  I was just guessing that you had push/pull steering...you didn't specify it was hydraulic steer in your original post. I am with Boscoe on this..probably air in the system and needs bleeding.

Comment

The motor was removed when the transom was replaced this past winter. That is when the steering no longer felt like it had any tension. So chance he disconnected it and air got into the system?

Comment

From what I am reading from Seastar, the check valves are the problem. Need to be cleaned. Then drain, purge ad refill the system.

Probably just a fluke that it happened right after the motor removal and reinstallation.

Comment

Let me guess, that’s a big job that can’t be done at home? Ughh. MO money MO money MO money. Lol

Comment

Where are the check valves and reservoir typically? It’s on a Lund pro sport 1600.

Comment

And it might be hydraulic assist steering. I need to dig into

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X