No announcement yet.

'00 250SX... Possibly a dumb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keith, Merc must have changed it again - it no longer has yellow barbs (or maybe it's the same, just not yellow). When I squeezed it, it was very "crunchy" in the inside/middle of the bulb... which felt different than any other bulb I have squeezed.

When you said only buy "OEM/Sierra"... where you referring to OEM as Yamaha, or just any major manufacturer in general?
    Last edited by DennisG01; 08-23-2015, 08:11 AM. Reason: better info
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Zeno, I agree with you regarding the "throw it away" aspect. I was only asking about the orientation thing (vertical vs horizontal) since I had never seen that printed somewhere before nor heard of that warning.

Comment

not gonna bash any product.
        the Yamaha bulbs seem to hold up better than any others I have used. especially if its in the sun.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
          Keith, Merc must have changed it again - it no longer has yellow barbs (or maybe it's the same, just not yellow). When I squeezed it, it was very "crunchy" in the inside/middle of the bulb... which felt different than any other bulb I have squeezed.

When you said only buy "OEM/Sierra"... where you referring to OEM as Yamaha, or just any major manufacturer in general?
          When I last replaced my bulb (forgot what brand) as the exterior black was coming off whenever you even touched it.

I went with the Yamaha brand, (a bit more expensive) but you can "feel" the difference between the cheaper ones and the Yamaha bulb.. Well worth the extra $ IMO..

BTW, which way does the arrow point?? Right or left?
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
            When I last replaced my bulb (forgot what brand) as the exterior black was coming off whenever you even touched it.

I went with the Yamaha brand, (a bit more expensive) but you can "feel" the difference between the cheaper ones and the Yamaha bulb.. Well worth the extra $ IMO..
            I know what you mean about the "feel" of a quality bulb. For what it's worth, the Merc has that same, robust, "feel".

BTW, which way does the arrow point?? Right or left?
            It depends on which side of the bulb I'm on...

Or... was that a serious question? I thought maybe you were making a "funny" If not, then the arrow on the bulb currently on the boat is facing the correct way - towards the engine.

Comment

Dennis, I was being a smart a$$.

Thank you thou!!!
              Scott

Comment

Dennis, I was being a smart a$$.

Thank you thou!!!
                It's better than being a dumb...

Comment

I got ya beat, I can be both A s at once.
                  and if you ask my ex I am perfect .

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                    I got ya beat, I can be both A s at once.
                    and if you ask my ex I am perfect .
                    Nice one!!!

Comment

"Paging Mrs Rodbolt, paging Mrs Rodbolt"!

"Please come to the customer relations department"!!
                      Scott

Comment

Primer bulb

I've not heard here that primer bulbs need to be suitable for each application.

A primer bulb is in relative terms a low pressure high volume pump.

The application where they appear requires the opposite, i.e. a relative high pressure and low volume! Therefore they are not actually suitable in many situations that they are used in! (they produce a far greater flow rate than the system is designed for, and what the engine ever demands)

They appeared as simple hand pumps delivering fuel along a short line and from a close portable tank.

Now they are expected to draw fuel a much greater distance from in hull tanks and through greater filters. The fuel line diameters are too narrow, the bulb pump faces far greater friction and needs to suck hard.

To provide this extra suction the inherent design is that the bulb material need s to provide greater forces to return to it's natural expanded shape.

The problem with this is that the bulb will be harder to compress and unless you have Arnold Schwatz muscles, makes it far more difficult to provide the full squeeze required to move the fuel forward. So a comprimize.

This means there will be a greater difference between the bulbs sucking ability to it's pumping ability! So the position of the bulb needs to be further away from the tank and close as possible to the engine.

Have people thought about what I just wrote?

I previously implied that it is nonsense about how the bulb is positioned. What idiot engineer would design a bulb that needs to be held vertically!!! The arrow does not, does not have a "this way up" intention.

If that idiot designer meant that then you do not realize that he did not design the engine, and he or she most certainly did not write the service manuals for the engine!

Nice to know which bulb better than what, can anyone inform us about a bigger and more appropriately design as a low volume high pressure primer pump that uses the limited hand squeeze forces available more efficiently?

Comment

I think you have been sniffing too much of the fumes of the so called gasoline

Comment

Nah, a bit of diesel maybe today.

Comment

most primer bulbs work better if the arrow is in the verticle position.
                              some will ONLY work if verticle.

Comment

Working...
                              X