2016 F70 Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
    Take pressure gauge with you and when it happens simply take the cowl off and hook the gauge. If worried about losing cowl a overboard...rig up a small lanyard to it before you go out.
    Also remember, people on here are trying to help you.. be kind.
    I don't have to worry about losing the cowling in the river.. I can reproduce the issue at will in the driveway repeatedly. Not sure what I did to get the warning (Also remember, people on here are trying to help you.. be kind).

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Lots of the new folks take Yam the wrong way. He is black and white. An Electrician. Follow the steps or you may die. A matter of fact guy. He doesn’t intend to aggravate.
      I don't take him the wrong way at all. I think maybe he takes me the wrong way.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatorlizard View Post

I don't have to worry about losing the cowling in the river.. I can reproduce the issue at will in the driveway repeatedly. Not sure what I did to get the warning (Also remember, people on here are trying to help you.. be kind).
        You asked in a previous post how to rig up a pressure gauge with the cowl on..Why do you need the cowl on if you can make the problem happen in the driveway? Does the cowl need to be on for it to start acting up?

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post

You asked in a previous post how to rig up a pressure gauge with the cowl on..Why do you need the cowl on if you can make the problem happen in the driveway? Does the cowl need to be on for it to start acting up?
          In the driveway with the cowling on.

Comment

In the driveway with the cowling on.
            so it does not happen with the cowling off?
            that seems like an important clue

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

so it does not happen with the cowling off?
              that seems like an important clue
              I am wondering the same thing

Comment

heat buildup maybe?
                could the fuel cooler not be working properly, and the pump fails from overheat?
                or maybe the VST gets hot enough to boil off the fuel in it so runs dry and fails the pump??

Comment

Where did he go?

Comment

I'm still here. I've ask before.... How can the VST be run dry when after cooling off the motor starts instantly with just a bump of the key?? Not naw, naw naw and it starts. Click vroom and it's running.

Comment

all I can say is prove it is not a problem before eliminating it as the problem.
                      you eliminate enough things it will lead you somewhere.

why would this problem only be there when the cowling in on?

Comment

all I can say is prove it is not a problem before eliminating it as the problem.
                        you eliminate enough things it will lead you somewhere.

why would this problem only be there when the cowling in on?
                        I can only assume it is because the ambient temp under the cowling is causing something electrical to temporally fail. Think about this scenario.... My lawn mower runs for 5 minutes and shuts down. 5 minutes later it starts up and runs for another 5 minutes. Easy diagnosis.. It's the coil. I wish my issue was this easy to solve.

Comment

I can only assume it is because the ambient temp under the cowling is causing something electrical to temporally fail. Think about this scenario.... My lawn mower runs for 5 minutes and shuts down. 5 minutes later it starts up and runs for another 5 minutes. Easy diagnosis.. It's the coil. I wish my issue was this easy to solve.

what electrical are you thinking is the problem?
                          monitor it to see if that is the problem

Comment

what electrical are you thinking is the problem?
                            monitor it to see if that is the problem
                            I have no idea. If I did I wouldn't be here asking stupid questions. Let me ask another one.. When all this started 5 months ago with the motor cold I could cycle the ignition switch and hear the HP pump make a whining/buzzing sound for a couple of seconds. Last week after being in the shop for 3 months It ran for 35 minutes and shut off. When cycling the switch it made a faint squealing sound. Not the sound I remember hearing before. The guy that had it for 3 months said he ran it till it shut down and said there was power to the HP pump but no fuel pressure on the rail. He replaced the pump. Obviously it didn't fix the problem.

Comment

I have been experiencing the same problem with a 2011 F70 300hrs. I When the problem fist appeared the boat was running fine then total loss of power and surging. When it cooled down it would run normally. The problem was inconsistent it would happen, then it would be another 10 hrs before it would happen again. I took the boat to my trusted mechanic and he couldn't find any thing wrong. Originally I thought it was a fuel problem and tried a remote tank, no change. I have replaced everything from the fuel pickup in the tank to the VST pump. The problem has been getting worse, it shows now in 8 minutes of running. I purchased the computer diagnostic system from ebay. I had the motor running (cold) ran fine for 8 minutes, then it just shutoff. On the computer I noticed the TPS and Intake Pressure fluctuating wildly with the motor not running. I opened the throttle and the intake pressure changed but still moved wildly. I checked the harness voltage to the TPS and it's showing what the computer shows. My guess its the ECM, I have a call into the mechanic to get his input. Hpoefully he will call me today.

Comment

Originally posted by Double_A View Post
                                I have been experiencing the same problem with a 2011 F70 300hrs. I When the problem fist appeared the boat was running fine then total loss of power and surging. When it cooled down it would run normally. The problem was inconsistent it would happen, then it would be another 10 hrs before it would happen again. I took the boat to my trusted mechanic and he couldn't find any thing wrong. Originally I thought it was a fuel problem and tried a remote tank, no change. I have replaced everything from the fuel pickup in the tank to the VST pump. The problem has been getting worse, it shows now in 8 minutes of running. I purchased the computer diagnostic system from ebay. I had the motor running (cold) ran fine for 8 minutes, then it just shutoff. On the computer I noticed the TPS and Intake Pressure fluctuating wildly with the motor not running. I opened the throttle and the intake pressure changed but still moved wildly. I checked the harness voltage to the TPS and it's showing what the computer shows. My guess its the ECM, I have a call into the mechanic to get his input. Hpoefully he will call me today.
                                Sounds like we are walking down the same path. The mechanic that has my boat called me last night and says he now suspects the ECM. He finally got around to checking the fuel pump ground. "yam" had mentioned in an earlier post checking if the fuel pump ground was dropped by the ECM causing the shutdown. Luck for me he has access to a proven used ECM he can try before buying a new one.
                                Last edited by Gatorlizard; 07-14-2022, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X