1987 Yamaha 90 ETLH No spark on Cylinder #3 changed CDI now no spark on #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 Yamaha 90 ETLH No spark on Cylinder #3 changed CDI now no spark on #1

I've been working on a 1987 Yamaha 90 outboard a customer brought in saying he wanted the carbs cleaned do to it not running right. He insisted it was the carbs. I cleaned the carbs took out to test and still wouldn't run correctly. Brought back to shop and tested compression. Had compression on all 3 cylinders. Tested the spark and there was NO SPARK on cylinder 3. Swapped #2 and #3 coil pack and still no spark on #3. Purchased brand new CDI and tested. Now I have spark on Cylinder #2 and #3 but NO SPARK on cylinder #1. Figured it was a faulty CDI, so tried a different one. Same result NO SPARK on #1. Changed back to original CDI and back to NO SPARK on #3.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated, as I am stumped as to what it could be.

Thank you

how many pulser coils does that old 90 have.
    I think most have just 2 one for #1 and one for #3 to tell them when to fire spark.
    #2 spark is set up by CPS and CDI I think

Comment

Correct, has 2 pulser coils. But why would it swap when I change the CDI?

Comment

Now you know why we all race Mercury's. A real boat motor..."Just the facts, mam"

Comment

Originally posted by kpkkustoms View Post
          Correct, has 2 pulser coils. But why would it swap when I change the CDI?
          maybe bad connections into the CDIs, but not the same wire with the bad connection
          are these new CDIs you are using to replace with?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

maybe bad connections into the CDIs, but not the same wire with the bad connection
            are these new CDIs you are using to replace with?
            yes new CDI. The CDI doesn’t have any quick connects. They are all screw in connections to the CDI

Comment

If the CDI has garbage in then the CDI might have garbage out.

Have you confirmed that the correct charge coil and pulser coil inputs are within specifications? Sane with the outputs.

What is the serial number of your motor? There are two CDI part numbers that depend upon the serialization.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                how many pulser coils does that old 90 have.
                I think most have just 2 one for #1 and one for #3 to tell them when to fire spark.
                #2 spark is set up by CPS and CDI I think
                No CPS on that vintage motor.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                  If the CDI has garbage in then the CDI might have garbage out.

Have you confirmed that the correct charge coil and pulser coil inputs are within specifications? Sane with the outputs.

What is the serial number of your motor? There are two CDI part numbers that depend upon the serialization.
                  The new CDI part number I used is: 688-85540-15-00

Can't seem to find a manual for it to check the pulser coil inputs. I did not see two different CDI numbers when I lookup up the part. That is a possibility.

Yamaha 90ETLH
                  6H1 L 460499

Comment

No CPS on that vintage motor.
                    well I said I think,
                    how does the CDI make up the spark for #2 on that 90?

Comment

Just out of curiosity was running some test and the green/white wire coming from the pulser is grounds out on the motor, while it is hooked to the CDI Is it supposed to? Red/white, black/white, yellow/white do not ground to the motor
                      Last edited by kpkkustoms; 09-08-2021, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Can't seem to find a manual for it to check the pulser coil inputs. I did not see two different CDI numbers when I lookup up the part. That is a possibility.

Yamaha 90ETLH
                        6H1 L 460499
                        It appears that you have the latest CDI for your serial motor.

Comment

Yamaha 90ETLH
                          6H1 L 460499
                          LIT-18616-00-09.

https://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/...s-part-numbers

https://www.boats.net/search?q=LIT-1....&ui=typeahead

Comment

Just out of curiosity was running some test and the green/white wire coming from the pulser is grounds out on the motor, while it is hooked to the CDI Is it supposed to? Red/white, black/white, yellow/white do not ground to the motor
                            The pulser coil is tested when disconnected from the CDI assembly.

Comment

It appears that you have the latest CDI for your serial motor.

The back of the CDI that is on it has TIA03-14 688-14.

The one I replaced it with was the part number I found on the yamaha parts website and it is 688-85540-15-00

I found this page right here, I know its for the earlier model CDI, I have the other page to test it. But I'm unsure how to test the CDI. I'm Not understanding which leads go where for the test.

Comment

Working...
                              X