No announcement yet.

1997 C40 No up trim when underway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have to remember your pushing an x pound boat and load wich is likly MUCH more force than the weight of a person just standing on the engine. As has been gone over, its a tilt unit, the trim uint is different (and obviously stronger)

I would, if you don't have it, get that bar (part #11) and install it. You really don't want that engine pushing into the tilt unit. Its obviously designed to have that shaft in there.

You can set it at its optimal planed out position, but you may have to sneak your speed up there as you'll likely get some caviation on hard throttle up from idle.. Experiment with it..

My first boat had a 70 HP Evinrude with just that pin, (manual tilt). It was set at my preference for the boat and I never really messed with it after that.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I ordered the pin and will go that route for a while. I understand the force of the boat is more than a person standing on it. For the sake of discussion, I stand by the idea that the force at say, 800 rpm is not much less than 950. There has to be a sensor or pressure valve preventing the cylinder from lifting once a certain position has been reached on the throttle. It's very precise where it stops and starts making the stuck hydraulic sound. Again, for the sake of discussion, I don't like not knowing how a machine I operate works. Which is why I am still discussing it. There should be no reason that the tilt doesn't work at 5 knots. I measured it. It stops at 2 knots. Ultimately I will either get the jackplate or repower. For now, I'm just messing with what I have. I don't care if I break it. A broken system gets replaced immediately in my household...lol. Would I still buy the boat knowing what I know now? Absolutely. The boat is nice and the engine does what it is supposed to do. Am I happy with the engine? Sure, it has now run over 22 gallons of fuel out of the box with not one stall or hard start, even though it needs the carbs cleaned. It's not Yamaha's fault or anyone's....except maybe the cheap a$$ who bought it that way new.

On a side note, I removed the whale fin thing off the cav plate. It was one of those dual use types with the *****ing plate that drops down. Except that the *****ing plate was missing and the holes messed up. The boat seems to ride higher and take forever to plane. I think....can't believe I'm saying this.....I'm going to buy another proper foil and install it. The difference in planing is night and day. With the old fin on the back it would plane in 10 feet without raising the bow at all. And it would stay on plane at a very low speed. I didn't realize how slow until I turned and the boat would slow to the point it would fall off. Gotta say, with my particular setup, I'm now a believer.

Comment

Originally posted by AReinhart View Post
        I ordered the pin and will go that route for a while. I understand the force of the boat is more than a person standing on it. For the sake of discussion, I stand by the idea that the force at say, 800 rpm is not much less than 950. There has to be a sensor or pressure valve preventing the cylinder from lifting once a certain position has been reached on the throttle. It's very precise where it stops and starts making the stuck hydraulic sound. Again, for the sake of discussion, I don't like not knowing how a machine I operate works. Which is why I am still discussing it. There should be no reason that the tilt doesn't work at 5 knots. I measured it. It stops at 2 knots. Ultimately I will either get the jackplate or repower. For now, I'm just messing with what I have. I don't care if I break it. A broken system gets replaced immediately in my household...lol. Would I still buy the boat knowing what I know now? Absolutely. The boat is nice and the engine does what it is supposed to do. Am I happy with the engine? Sure, it has now run over 22 gallons of fuel out of the box with not one stall or hard start, even though it needs the carbs cleaned. It's not Yamaha's fault or anyone's....except maybe the cheap a$$ who bought it that way new.

On a side note, I removed the whale fin thing off the cav plate. It was one of those dual use types with the *****ing plate that drops down. Except that the *****ing plate was missing and the holes messed up. The boat seems to ride higher and take forever to plane. I think....can't believe I'm saying this.....I'm going to buy another proper foil and install it. The difference in planing is night and day. With the old fin on the back it would plane in 10 feet without raising the bow at all. And it would stay on plane at a very low speed. I didn't realize how slow until I turned and the boat would slow to the point it would fall off. Gotta say, with my particular setup, I'm now a believer.
        Look at items 32, 33 and 41 and think about what might be going on.

1997 C40PLRV Yamaha Outboard ALTERNATE 5 POWER TILT ASSEMBLY PR Diagram and Parts

Comment

Two points:
          Tilt pin is essential as a limiter of travel, as well for the setting of correct trim.

The "stuck hydraulic sound" which really created at the pivot points, indicates extreme pressure exists in this tilt ram, that further suggest that there is nothing faulty .

And therefore the design is for engine to rest on the pin. I would not be trying to get better "lock" because something might give.

Comment

Merc Engine Running Both Ways

Sorry to stray off topic, but was interested to see that the old Merc could run both ways by design. I had a late 60s or early 70s 65HP three cylinder which sank at the dock. After I raised it, dried it out, went to start it with pull rope, it backfired and started the wrong direction.My buddy called BS but when he put it in reverse to back it out to run it, the boat surged forward and nailed the dock. The water pump would not have allowed it to run that way long, but the ignition didn't stop it Oh, no trim, and the tilt was my 18 yr old back. OK, back to Yamahas.......

Comment

Originally posted by a387673 View Post
              Sorry to stray off topic, but was interested to see that the old Merc could run both ways by design. I had a late 60s or early 70s 65HP three cylinder which sank at the dock. After I raised it, dried it out, went to start it with pull rope, it backfired and started the wrong direction.My buddy called BS but when he put it in reverse to back it out to run it, the boat surged forward and nailed the dock. The water pump would not have allowed it to run that way long, but the ignition didn't stop it Oh, no trim, and the tilt was my 18 yr old back. OK, back to Yamahas.......
              Not uncommon in the old days. We're not there motorcycles with sidecars that did this?
              My Bultaco trials bike did this when not kicked through properly. Nothing wrong with tuning, but frightening dropping clutch and proceed over the handlebars!!
              Piston ported with intake thru side. The design if you can call it that, you may not always electrically shut it down (pull lead off spark plug engine would still run.
              Not surprising as heat build up like hot spark plug

Comment

Ok, so 32,33 and 41 looks like a pressure relief valve of sorts.pressure overcomes the spring and bleeds fluid out of the compression chamber of the cylinder. I would have thought it would be found in the valve body somewhere. Anyways, like I said, I ordered the pin assembly. The same kind of assembly I had on the 57' rude. Interesting that it's missing completely.........used boats man. That may be why trimming it is a pain. Without the pin, I'm starting over every time. So that'd be two things you guys have ID'd with my setup. First that it's a tilt unit, second that there's parts missing.....THANK YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by bajakeith
                  LOL,,I learned one thing many years ago..never take what the custermer says..I kept looking at the link he showed in the beginning and its a tilt/trim unit..then I got off my butt and ran his model..not 100 percent which tilt unit he has,,BUT I did see a motor system that I have never seen before and need to confirm with him that that is whats on/in his motor...Nuthing better than learning something new !! question ?? can I microwave my hat first so its softer ????.Note to self....SELF.....DO NOT post when tired after a BBQ !!
                  Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                  Don't always qualify your postings with self praise or indignation etc. all the time. Convince people with proper argument and facts.
                  Enjoy your hat with the flake .
                  X2 - well stated.

Comment

the c40p model was a tilt only, wont take engine thrust.
                    the c40T model used a single cyl trim and tilt unit.

as far as running a two stroke backwards, the old dock buster merc inline six.

the 68-72 3cyl Johnson when the clip that killed the motor if it went backwards wore out and broke or someone left it out.

Comment

Dock buster

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                      the c40p model was a tilt only, wont take engine thrust.
                      the c40T model used a single cyl trim and tilt unit.

as far as running a two stroke backwards, the old dock buster merc inline six.

the 68-72 3cyl Johnson when the clip that killed the motor if it went backwards wore out and broke or someone left it out.
                      Love the images your term "the old dock buster" brings up!

Comment

back in the early 90's I got to restore a pair of the inline six dockbusters. wont do that again.

worked on the 55 and 60 OMC stuff from 68-72 back in the 80's and 90's.

luckily all that stuff has long corroded away here.

Comment

Working...
                        X