No announcement yet.

1997 C40 No up trim when underway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No I haven't checked the compression yet. Picked it up last week, installed a new fuel tank and hose, changed the lower unit oil and water pump, installed new plugs and I've been sorting it all out since. The boat clocked 35.8 mph GPS on a slack tide which is about right for the boat so I would imagine it's running ok. I think the carb rebuild, which I've had to do many times over the years, should sort out the idle. Thanks for the heads up on the fuel treatment, apparently these yammies are quite particular about this. Look up Yamaha issues and gunked up carbs seems like the number 1....I know a lot of people swear by these 2 stroke Yamaha's so I didn't give it a second thought when it was included with the boat. I guess most of the old reliable engines are getting on in years now and the new etecs aren't really johnson/Evinrude any more so ones as good as the next. I put a lot of hours on outboards in a really harsh salt environment where engine issues can quickly lead to Coast Guard calls so unless I'm in a boat with sails, the engine is quite important. Being that I'm deAling with a motor I know nothing about, I'm sure ill be around here for a while. As said earlier, I've got an owners manual and shop manual enroute.

Maybe in the future, if this one turns out to be a good runner, ill look into swapping out the trim unit for a TLRV unit. Again, thanks for the info, tips and advice. If I've learned anything so far about Yamaha outboards, it's that they have a good support forum.

Comment

*** !!

Umm,,myself have never seen a outboard that had a tilt motor and ram not have trim !! never,,ever!!.the way they work with the safty valveing is not easy to explain and that's more than likely your issue..they are designed so that when you hit something it releases oil pressure so the outboard will kick up and not tear off the transom..therein I think is your problem..the check valves and body are something not be worked on by just anyone and MUST be spotless..Not one little speck of dirt..I did not look up your motor or yr..but would have a good boat mech take a look at it.. and If it really does NOT have Trim,,Please repost here !!...

Comment

Originally posted by bajakeith View Post
        Umm,,myself have never seen a outboard that had a tilt motor and ram not have trim !! never,,ever!!.the way they work with the safty valveing is not easy to explain and that's more than likely your issue..they are designed so that when you hit something it releases oil pressure so the outboard will kick up and not tear off the transom..therein I think is your problem..the check valves and body are something not be worked on by just anyone and MUST be spotless..Not one little speck of dirt..I did not look up your motor or yr..but would have a good boat mech take a look at it.. and If it really does NOT have Trim,,Please repost here !!...
        But you have been in the biz 40 years, strange. No disrespect.
        OP you can't fix, it has no trim.
        BTW my father saved the cost and did not want Tilt or T/T, he had three strong sons and did not go out alone. Do you no how hard to lift a 60hp when it is still in forward gear! The forces are huge.

Comment

Originally posted by AReinhart View Post
          Oh man, I just looked at the designation plrv again.....p means power tilt.....it may not have trim.....what a pos. How can you have a tilt feature that allows trim adjustment of all kinds of angles without trim.....makes no sense.So basically what you're telling me is that I need to guess where I should start at, then accelerate, if it rides wet, slow down to idle speed and keep adjusting until it's right???? Why have a remote at all? Might as well have a tiller. Etec here I come
          he already posted what it has according to the model # on the motor

Comment

GOD !! this place is ....

OK at 55 yrs young I have never seen a motor with a ram and motor only have tilt..thats hog wash IMO PS..edit: I have been in the cali deltas since 8 yrs old and working on boats my whole life...if you know anything about the deltas..its the simple fact you can find any boat,,motor,,houseboat,,floating anything there
            Last edited by bajakeith; 05-26-2015, 12:14 AM.

Comment

look up what the P stands for in his model # if you do not believe it comes from factory like that.
              He is not the 1st person coming on here trying to figure this problem out

Comment

OK,,

I just looked up his link for parts..Thats a standard tilt/trim system..plain and simple..you can read all the jap translation you want..try Volvo Penta manuals with their Swedish tranlations....I will eat my hat if I'm wrong !! No wonder Roldbolt gets ...... here....today is the first day in weeks I have off,but I will try and follw this...its a tilt/trim unit and as I posted before its in the valveing more than likely or electrical......LOL or nissans manual's

Comment

OK at 55 yrs young I have never seen a motor with a ram and motor only have tilt..thats hog wash IMO PS..edit: I have been in the cali deltas since 8 yrs old and working on boats my whole life...if you know anything about the deltas..its the simple fact you can find any boat,,motor,,houseboat,,floating anything there
                  When the idea was to put motorised engine lifts. They just did that. The Trim concept came after this. The thrust needed by trim rams is many times what needed to tilt. So the incorporation of trim required significant design change and power upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by AReinhart View Post
                    This believe this motor should have that function, here are the numbers:

C40PLRV 339032W 6E9
                    Ok lets try this one more time
                    read what his motor Model # is that he posted
                    it is not the link he had in the early post.
                    this is why I asked him to post it.

lots of people never look at model #s or try to understand what they mean, but I would think someone that works on them for so many years would

It is always good to learn something new every day
                    then you can lay back and take it easy.
                    Does not always happen , but I try to
                    Last edited by 99yam40; 05-26-2015, 12:45 AM.

Comment

99yam

why do I and rodbolt that make are living doing this get soooo much flake here ?? Nowhere is am I questioned for the simple FACT I know my shit !! that link shows a tilt/trim motor !!!! you can 2nd guess all you want !! they call it tilt or anything they want...I see that all the time with forign parts and manuals...nothing new...OOPPSS, just read you last post..the first link I saw/read is a trim motor..where is the other link ???
                      Last edited by bajakeith; 05-26-2015, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Sorry, I just updated my last post while you were posting instead of posting a new one with the info you forgot to read that he posted what his real Model .

If you have not run across one of these motors before I can understand the problem you are having getting this, but they did make them and they are out there. that is why they have the different Model #s

I do not think I am as bad as SS am I?
                        I usually apologize and admit when I was wrong
                        and I do not remember ever telling Rod he was wrong
                        But I am getting old and forgetful
                        Last edited by 99yam40; 05-26-2015, 01:12 AM.

Comment

99yam

LOL,,I learned one thing many years ago..never take what the custermer says..I kept looking at the link he showed in the beginning and its a tilt/trim unit..then I got off my butt and ran his model..not 100 percent which tilt unit he has,,BUT I did see a motor system that I have never seen before and need to confirm with him that that is whats on/in his motor...Nuthing better than learning something new !! question ?? can I microwave my hat first so its softer ????.Note to self....SELF.....DO NOT post when tired after a BBQ !!

Comment

LOL,,I learned one thing many years ago..never take what the custermer says..I kept looking at the link he showed in the beginning and its a tilt/trim unit..then I got off my butt and ran his model..not 100 percent which tilt unit he has,,BUT I did see a motor system that I have never seen before and need to confirm with him that that is whats on/in his motor...Nuthing better than learning something new !! question ?? can I microwave my hat first so its softer ????.Note to self....SELF.....DO NOT post when tired after a BBQ !!
                            Don't always qualify your postings with self praise or indignation etc. all the time. Convince people with proper argument and facts.
                            Enjoy your hat with the flake .

Comment

For the record

I looked at what OP posted and saw a tilt/trim motor...plain and simple on that...NO,,,I have not seen everything to say the least...BUT, I have seen way more than most !! SO ,,till the OP confirms that's what he has,,Its all speculation,,no ??
                              Last edited by bajakeith; 05-26-2015, 02:17 AM.

Comment

I looked at what OP posted and saw a tilt/trim motor...plain and simple on that...NO,,,I have not seen everything to say the least...BUT, I have seen way more than most !! SO ,,till the OP confirms that's what he has,,Its all speculation,,no ??
                                Agreed, but you still want to convince people with,on this occasion:" I've seen more than most" which may be taken, to an inexperienced person, as gospel.
                                It took me many years to see that prefacing/ qualifying sometimes means that the person doesn't really know or feels he needs to do this for people to listen.
                                Sorry for lecture, I have learn't not to even try this with my one year old granddaughter. Modern times.

Comment

Working...
                                X