Rectifier/Regulator/Chagre wire questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CatCam View Post
    From Rodbolt (resident Yamaha expert - he has a PHd in Yamaology)

"the rotor rarely fails, it's probably not the problem.
    Can the stator fail? yep but it's a simple test.
    It's a delta wound 3 phase simple system.
    if the coil resistance is correct and the coil outputs are correct then test the regulator output.
    its a stupidly simple AC alternator.
    the alternator in your car works exactly the same way.
    rotate a magnet past a coil and you get an AC voltage output.
    feed that output to a rectifier and you get a DC output from the rectifier.
    there are 3 green wires coming out of the lighting coil.
    A, B, and C
    test resistance a-b, b-c and c-a then test a b and c for shorts to ground.
    if it passes its most likely good."
    It can be misleading to assume that all Yamaha motors use a three phase system for the lighting coil. It is misleading to assume, as I did, that this motor would have a water cooled device on it. Apparently on this model the R/R is air cooled.

Comment

most the older carbed 2.6L V6 motors used a two wire lighting coil.
      about the same test, green to green/green white(sometimes) and then both greens to ground to check for a lead shorted.
      the unused red lead that is a capped off bullet connector is for an aux battery(if the international models had it).
      I cant open any of the pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
        about the same test, green to green/green white(sometimes) and then both greens to ground to check for a lead shorted.
        the unused red lead that is a capped off bullet connector is for an aux battery(if the international models had it).
        Can you see this one? These appear to be the two green lighting coil wires but they are terminated with one ring terminal. SM shows the two green wires being connected to the R/R above, on the opposite side of the black and red wires.

Comment

I don't know if its an optical delusion or not but it does appear they are tied together.
          there should be a green and a green white going to the regulator. doesn't matter which terminal.
          I don't know if the international motors used the AC signal for a tach signal. if so one terminal will have 2 green or green/white wires.

Comment

I studied the hell out of the photo. If that is an optical illusion, it is a good one.

Maybe the Carbonaro effect. That guy is good.

I could not find a similar USA model of that HP that does not have oil injection. Can you think of one?

Comment

nope, most likely the C150 harness.
              after working some in VE I do know there are variations in US market and international market motors.
              not difficult if you have had some formal electronics training.

Comment

Hi, Thanks so much for taking the time to discuss this for me, I don't know where to start but basically one of the bullet connectors had come loose (or been opened and not closed properly), It was the one on the fuse!!!

So after putting that back together I had amps running through the battery, about 10 at 1500 rpm, is that normal, my car would be about 25amp if I am not mistaken? The problem is that was reving without gear and i hate to do that. However that said, before this was connected the amps were flat dead so it is obviously taking a charge, I would love to know what is considered a normal charge? Should I be interested in amps or volts? I'm so sorry for the stupid questions because I see alot of people refer to volts but I've always understood we want to see amps pushing through the battery?

Thanks & Regards
                Christopher

Comment

I don't know if its an optical delusion or not but it does appear they are tied together.
                  there should be a green and a green white going to the regulator. doesn't matter which terminal.
                  I don't know if the international motors used the AC signal for a tach signal. if so one terminal will have 2 green or green/white wires.
                  I too also wondered what was going on there, 4 connectors but only three being used. The green is joined together and the 4th seems to be available?

Comment

About the age of this motor, I think it's 4 years old unless I have been had. It is still sold new (my model) in Japan. I am obviously very happy to be corrected!

Comment

a carbed version of the 200 hasn't been avalible here in probly 10 yrs or better.
                      the version with 6 pulser coils even longer.

no carbed 2 strokes at all since jan 2010.

10 amps is about right.
                      that system,best I recall is only good for about 15-18 amps at WOT.

Comment

outboards

I know that there are motors sold "not for usa" have a 12v out for running lights only...The U.S.C.G. don't like for good reason....The first time I saw that sorta knocked me for a loop as a electrical guy (guru Lol) hope that little fact helps !!

Comment

Working...
                        X