Rectifier/Regulator/Chagre wire questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rectifier/Regulator/Chagre wire questions

Hi there, I have a yamaha 200 aet 2 stroke, sorry for my ignorance I am really new to engines full stop. I seem to have a problem with my engine charging. I replaced the battery cabling and connections which has not solved the problem. So i have taken a look under the cowling and had a look. I cant seem to make sense of how my battery should charge? Should I have charge wires coming off the rectifier regulator? any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I can find a mechanic where I am located that has any idea of outboards

If you need anymore pictures or info I would be so pleased to answer. Thanks Christopher
    Attached Files

this is the engine spec if it helps:

Specifications

Model Code 2 : 200AETL
    Engine : 2 stroke, 90º – V6
    Displacement : 2596 cm³
    Compression Ratio :
    Max. Prop Shaft Output : 147.1 kW (200 ps) @ 5000 r/m
    Full throttle rpm range : 4500 ~ 5500 r/m
    Fuel Induction System : 3-Dual Throat Carb
    Starter System : Manual Choke
    Lubrication : Pre-Mixing
    Engine oil capacity :
    Bore x Stroke (mm) : 90.0 mm x 68.0 mm
    Fuel consumption :
    Trim & Tilt : PTT
    Shallow Water Drive Positions :
    Gear ratio : 1.86 (26/14)
    Engine transom height : L: 515 mm (20.3in)
    Dry Weight : 180.0 kg / 184.0 kg

Comment

What is the complete serial number of the motor? Should begin with the number 6.

Comment

Hi, thanks so much for taking the time to help me. Please see the screenshot and let me know if I can help with info in anyway at all. Regards
        Christopher
        Attached Files

Comment

Nothing in the photos shows the rectifier/regulator.

Why is the flywheel removed? Under the flywheel there should be some coils. One of those coils, known as the lighting coil, provides AC power to the rectifier/regulator. Generally, the lighting coil wire colors the leading to the R/R are green.

The R/R converts the AC power to regulated DC power and sends that power on to the motor and to the battery. From the R/R the lead color is usually red. In a V6 the R/R will usually have cooling device attached to it. Water is fed from the block to the cooler and then that water usually flows to the tell tale outlet.

See if you can find the R/R. There should be a red lead that goes to a terminal somewhere. It may be in the fuse block for the motor.

Comment

the fly wheel is off because a local yocal mechanic is trying to resolve the issue and hence me being here with no confidence in his knowledge. Quite right under the fly wheel is some coils so the electric is being produced there, and thats about all I do know for sure. Do you have a picture of what the rectifier might look like on my outboard? It's dark outside but I will go do my best, the camera has a good flash if I do find anything. Thanks so much for your help.

Comment

Here is what I "think" I have found. it's fused and nothing else seems to be on inspection?

I am going back out to open up the fuse block now if this doesnt help thanks very much
              Attached Files

Comment

I am not seeing it.

I do see a fuse holder. It is that black bulb in the red wire. Is the fuse in good condition.

Take some photos of the top, front, back and both sides and let's see them. Not so close in but don't be too far back as well. Just fill the frame of the camera with the motor.

Did you find the tell tale port? On the inside of the cowl there should be a rubber tube connected to the port. Where does that tube go?

Is the flywheel on or off?

Comment

just before I fly back out for more pics -

yes found the water outlet and rubber pipe, it leads inside the engine I will inspect closer, about pics I will do my best.

I already changed that fuse although it was in good condition anyway to be sure.

The fly wheels off but they are coming to put it back tomorrow morning.

Thanks
                  Christopher

ps pics to follow very soon!

Comment

chris - what was the engine doing as far as "charging"? Was it NOT charging at all or just low voltage back to the battery?

This info would help a lot to determine root cause.

Comment

Hi Catcam,

yes you're right my apologies, I have newly purchased this boat and I "think" it has never charged properly. When I bought the boat it had been idle for months, so I thought battery problem was just flats and needed replacing - which I did and solved nothing

More pics attached, thanks Christopher
                      Attached Files

Comment

From Rodbolt (resident Yamaha expert - he has a PHd in Yamaology)

"the rotor rarely fails, it's probably not the problem.
                        Can the stator fail? yep but it's a simple test.
                        It's a delta wound 3 phase simple system.
                        if the coil resistance is correct and the coil outputs are correct then test the regulator output.
                        its a stupidly simple AC alternator.
                        the alternator in your car works exactly the same way.
                        rotate a magnet past a coil and you get an AC voltage output.
                        feed that output to a rectifier and you get a DC output from the rectifier.
                        there are 3 green wires coming out of the lighting coil.
                        A, B, and C
                        test resistance a-b, b-c and c-a then test a b and c for shorts to ground.
                        if it passes its most likely good."

Comment

Thanks Catcam the fly wheel will be coming back tomorrow I am hoping undamaged so I cannot wait to see these three wires coming from the lighting coil. Thanks so much for all your help thus far Boscoe.

Regards
                          Christopher

Comment

A photo appears to be missing of the starter motor side.

Comment

R/R does not appear to be water cooled on your model. I think that is it in the second photo of your first post. Looks to me as if some electrical leads (input) are missing on the far (forward) side of the R/R.

A Yam service manual shows two green leads going to the R/R but they are separate leads. They are not connected together as shown in your photos.
                              Last edited by boscoe99; 04-01-2015, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X