No announcement yet.

STUMPED...2003 F225 High Voltage After Replacing Rectifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still do not understand how the drive would be involved in an over charging situation

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      I still do not understand how the drive would be involved in an over charging situation
      I don't think that the driver is affecting the high voltage. But the driver is integrated with the isolation device. One part fails and the whole part has to be replaced.

Like the Evinrude EMM. Has the R/R embedded within it. If the R/R portion fails the entire device is replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

I don't think that the driver is affecting the high voltage. But the driver is integrated with the isolation device. One part fails and the whole part has to be replaced.

Like the Evinrude EMM. Has the R/R embedded within it. If the R/R portion fails the entire device is replaced.
        I could understand if it was imbedded, but seems it is a separate device.

replacing the RR did not fix his overvoltage, so how would replacing the drive unit help his overvoltage?

Comment

I could understand if it was imbedded, but seems it is a separate device.

replacing the RR did not fix his overvoltage, so how would replacing the drive unit help his overvoltage?
          Diagram makes it look that way. The driver is not separate from the isolator.

https://www.boats.net/product/yamaha/69J-83306-01-00

Comment

well I thought we were talking about the RR and drive unit,
            what is the isolator

Comment

well I thought we were talking about the RR and drive unit,
              what is the isolator
              the 'driver' is quite the gizmo
              it contains relays for both low and high pressure pumps,
              AND provides the isolation for the "Auxiliary Charging Lead"

Comment

OK, Thanks fairdeal
                that sounds logical.
                it's purpose is , isolation for the Auxiliary Charging Lead

but I still do not understand how changing the RR did not fix his overvoltage and replacing to drive unit is suppose to help in some way.

I hope that fixes his overvoltage

Comment

OK, Thanks fairdeal
                  that sounds logical.
                  it's purpose is , isolation for the Auxiliary Charging Lead

but I still do not understand how changing the RR did not fix his overvoltage and replacing to drive unit is suppose to help in some way.

I hope that fixes his overvoltage
                  I wish that I knew precisely what was going on also. Unfortunately whoever designs and makes that stuff does not share it with Yamaha USA. At times when it is explained to me it is beyond my ability to comprehend it. Zener diode breakdowns, coil saturations, hysterisis, etc..

The isolator section of the driver/isolator assembly is designed to work with the R/R. I am supposing that just changing the R/R alone, without also changing the isolator, won't allow the voltage to be at is specified output set point. Which is why if there is a high output voltage problem, both the R/R and the isolator (to which it is connected) must also be changed.

Looking at the early 3.3 liter F200/F225 models (after comparing them to later models) it seems to me that they were somewhat naive in developing that model. Learning as they went. The first high power V6 four stroke for Yamaha.
                  z225rr.jpg

Comment

Thanks Boscoe,
                    we will have to just say it is magic electrons and let it go

Comment

here is something Fairdeal posted that might interest the posters here.
                      did your RR and drive units have the blue connectors( meaning they were the new design)

https://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/...-boscoe-and-99

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Onisto View Post
                        Found the part number for the drive unit 69J-83306-00-00 through boats.net with the notice they are currently unavailable. Found similar part 69J-83306-01-00 from other sources so will try to source one with the assumption the difference in numbers is just a higher revision of the same part. I will get it and see what happens and hope I dont find myself in the same boat as scubasteve on the first post. Again any advice appreciated.
                        can anyone tell me if the drive unit for the f225 2003 is the same as the f225 2006 - the parts appear identical (wire colors and connectors) the part numbers above are off by 1 digit - I can get my hands on a used one quickly the other part is back-ordered and the summer is slipping by. Any help greatly appreciated.

Comment

-01-00 is an updated version of the -00-00.

Comment

can anyone tell me if the drive unit for the f225 2003 is the same as the f225 2006 - the parts appear identical (wire colors and connectors) the part numbers above are off by 1 digit -
                            They are definitely NOT the same

The drive unit used in the "2003 Model" - 69J-83306-00-00 -
                            had only one connector to mate with the R/R used
                            (the Drive Unit has 4 total connectors)

That Drive Unit is no longer available (from Yamaha)
                            "presumably"
                            because the R/R it mated with was problematic!

For 2004 and later, both the R/R and Drive unit were changed: drive unit 69J-83306-01-00
                            and they connect with TWO plugs.
                            (the drive unit has 5 connectors)

99Yam40 has posted above (post #25) a link to a post I made
                            with photos explaining the changes from 2003 to 2004 and beyond:

https://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/...-boscoe-and-99

Comment

Thanks to all for your input as I now at least have a reasonable idea of how the charging circuit works, new driver just arrived 69J-83306-01-00 and will install in the next few days. Hopefully it will be plug and play.

Comment

Thanks to all for your input as I now at least have a reasonable idea of how the charging circuit works, new driver just arrived 69J-83306-01-00 and will install in the next few days. Hopefully it will be plug and play.
                                did your old driver and RR have the blue connectors?

Comment

Working...
                                X