Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUMPED...2003 F225 High Voltage After Replacing Rectifier

Working on a Yamaha 2003 F225.

16+V measured at the battery at any RPM above idle.

Batteries are less than a year old.
    1. Replaced the voltage regulator/rectifier with brand new part.
    2. Sanded all engine grounds, battery posts, cables....etc.
    3. Replaced electrical drive unit assembly (mentioned in a recall along with the voltage regulator).
    4. Tested with a car battery and 4ga wires run straight to the engine lugs to eliminate bad battery wiring.
    None of these items had any effect. If anything item #4 made it worse, it hit 16V at idle.

Measured the stator AC voltage at various RPMs with a multimeter that does "True RMS" (not Peak Voltage) and everything was in the correct range according to the service manual. Without Peak Voltage is this a valid test?

Trying to measure the rectifier output at the engine appears to require a special test harness...is there a way to do this with a multimeter?

We've been working on this thing for a month now and are completely stumped....any help is very much appreciated.

I think I am going down the same road Yamaha 2003 F225 did all of the above and have 16v at idle and rising to near 20 with any throttle. However, replacement rectifier with matching part number has 2 plugs on the output harness as part of a revision to design to overcome some technical issue identified in a service bulletin I have not seen. Is your rectifier the revised version?

Comment

STUMPED ,,,, another 2003 F225 TXRB with high voltage 18+ volts

replaced voltage regulator and static tested last month - idle voltage bang on 13,8 rising to 14.4 at 1200 rpm where previously it would hit 16+
      just got it into the open water and at 2000 rpm voltage started climbing to over 18 - voltage drops to 13 at idle.

I did not replace electrical drive unit assembly - this has been very frustrating and it seems I am not the only one but am at a loss from where to go from here.... any help appreciated.

Comment

Sounds like you are getting bad voltage regulators from Yamaha. How old where the original regulators before they failed? What is this service bulletin address exactly?

Comment

zdu.jpg
          Originally posted by Larry Onisto View Post
          STUMPED ,,,, another 2003 F225 TXRB with high voltage 18+ volts

replaced voltage regulator and static tested last month - idle voltage bang on 13,8 rising to 14.4 at 1200 rpm where previously it would hit 16+
          just got it into the open water and at 2000 rpm voltage started climbing to over 18 - voltage drops to 13 at idle.

I did not replace electrical drive unit assembly - this has been very frustrating and it seems I am not the only one but am at a loss from where to go from here.... any help appreciated.
          Why not?

Comment

Interesting thread, interesting topic
            I must have missed it the first time

Comment

yes , interesting it is.

does this mean that the battery voltage is getting that high, or is it just thinking it is?

Comment

Boscoe - Thanks for the info - and a peek at the technical bulletin which I was unable to get a hold of - dont know why yamaha restricts access to that info - short answer to why I did not replace the drive unit - never saw the bulletin - never expected to have something else in the circuit regulating voltage. Was discouraged seeing other post by Scubasteve101 who had replaced both and still had the problem. I am going to have to figure out what partnumber I need and order it and give it a try. Any other advice would be helpful. Hope the drive unit assembly is easier to replace than that regulator! thanks.

Comment

Found the part number for the drive unit 69J-83306-00-00 through boats.net with the notice they are currently unavailable. Found similar part 69J-83306-01-00 from other sources so will try to source one with the assumption the difference in numbers is just a higher revision of the same part. I will get it and see what happens and hope I dont find myself in the same boat as scubasteve on the first post. Again any advice appreciated.

Comment

just for kicks , I would like the know what the Drive unit is for

Comment

99YAM40 - That is a very good question that I did not know the answer to when I started down this road but apparently the drive unit contains some of the regulator control circuits as well as the fuel pump circuits 2002/3 yamahas were under a silent recall for an identified fault in the circuitry. From what I understand this is no longer covered by yamaha so you are on the hook for repairs - the regulator cost me $450 and the drive unit is going to cost the same after s/h etc. So may have been the drive unit all along just hope I did not fry the new regulator in the meantime. It was the worst time I ever had replacing a part on an outboard! Fingers crossed.

Comment

99YAM40 - That is a very good question that I did not know the answer to when I started down this road but apparently the drive unit contains some of the regulator control circuits as well as the fuel pump circuits 2002/3 yamahas were under a silent recall for an identified fault in the circuitry. From what I understand this is no longer covered by yamaha so you are on the hook for repairs - the regulator cost me $450 and the drive unit is going to cost the same after s/h etc. So may have been the drive unit all along just hope I did not fry the new regulator in the meantime. It was the worst time I ever had replacing a part on an outboard! Fingers crossed.
                        There was no recall. Silent or otherwise.

Just a technical bulletin for those models that had an overcharging situation. 17 years ago. If a motor worked find for 16 years and is acting up now that would not be covered by the bulletin.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                          just for kicks , I would like the know what the Drive unit is for
                          Fuel pump.
                          zfpd.jpg

Comment

Thanks for the info I assumed since the technical bulletin identified incorrect circuitry Yamaha may have had a recall, my only other issue with the outboard happened when I nearly slammed into the stern of another vessel when my throttle linkage stuck in gear and 3/4 throttle on a harbor approach. Took it to the dealer and found Yamaha had put out a service bulletin on that also. Is there somewhere these bulletins and associated info can be accessed electronically - I have looked repeatedly and found out only qualified technicians can get them - would have saved alot of grief. Am wondering if service bulletin may also specify updated part numbers for the regulator/drive unit kit. Thanks for the details would have been stumbling in the dark otherwise.

Comment

Thanks for the info I assumed since the technical bulletin identified incorrect circuitry Yamaha may have had a recall, my only other issue with the outboard happened when I nearly slammed into the stern of another vessel when my throttle linkage stuck in gear and 3/4 throttle on a harbor approach. Took it to the dealer and found Yamaha had put out a service bulletin on that also. Is there somewhere these bulletins and associated info can be accessed electronically - I have looked repeatedly and found out only qualified technicians can get them - would have saved alot of grief. Am wondering if service bulletin may also specify updated part numbers for the regulator/drive unit kit. Thanks for the details would have been stumbling in the dark otherwise.
                              Now that is a different story. Yamaha USA did issue two recalls for certain F200/F225's to address throttle issues wherein the engine would not idle down, preventing the motor from being shifted into neutral.

Yamaha USA issues recalls to customers. To the addresses that are on file. Guy buys a used motor and does not get the address updated then he won't be getting the recall notice.

Technical bulletins are issued to Yamaha dealers and their mechanics. Takes some training to interpret and perform a bulletin. Does not make sense to issue a hundred thousand bulletin notices to customers when 99,999 don't care, or won't know, what they are getting.

To prevent grief, Yamaha (and the other motor makers) suggest that an owner have a good working relationship with their local dealer.

Comment

Working...
                              X