Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hahahahaah
    its a shocker aint it
    IF you manage to OVERFILL a Showa unit it will blow that plastic reservoir clean off.
    saw it at school once.
    does make a mess.

its an overly complex yet stupidly simple unit.

if you wish I do have a few resivoirs drifting about.
    at least they take the same orings as the pump.

Comment

what I'd really like to know is what I have done wrong

What do you say I ship it to you and you can share with everyone WTH I have done wrong.

The unit only has 125 hrs on it on the boat, soon to have more time on the bench

Thanks for the offer of the res... but I have already ordered one, I will see if I can cancel it in the morning if not, I'll just chalk that one up too.
      2006 F115 Hurricane 226 Fun Deck

Comment

its a unit that without a clear understanding of basic hydraulics will smoke you.
        couple that with the shifting nomenclature and the average tech is done and the back yardigan is smoked.

that particicular unit doesn't use pressure to force the rams down.

they also refer to upper and lower chambers rathether than up or down.
        the upper chambers refer to DOWN the lower chambers UP.

but if you do manage to add to much fluid it can and will blow the resivoir off the unit.

it will wake you up .

Comment

rodbolt17 I sent you a PM thx

Comment

Originally posted by stuff2c! View Post
            Well when someone tells you, you can't overfill the reservoir don't believe it

KABOOOM!

I now have to order a new one (ad another $160 to this easy fix) and I have Dexron III all over my garage.

If this wasn't so ridiculous I'd be really pissed... so I'll just stick with embarrassed for now. But man enough to share LMAO
            Inquiring minds want to know how you can over fill the reservoir. A reservoir which has the fill port about one third down from the top of the reservoir?

Were you able to fill the reservoir above the level of the fill port?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              Inquiring minds want to know how you can over fill the reservoir. A reservoir which has the fill port about one third down from the top of the reservoir?

Were you able to fill the reservoir above the level of the fill port?
              Well I read on the internet (so it must be true) that to fill it completely to hold the up button and allow it to suck as much fluid in as possible. I'm guessing that was the only way it could have happened since I had it in a vise and it was level.

I filled the tilt tube with the cap off and the plunger out. Hand pumped the trim plungers until I had to add fluid... several times. then filled the center tube to the top, with all rods fully extended I filled the center tube and replaced the cap.

I left the purge valve open and continued to pump all 3 plungers to the best of my ability until I felt they were full.

I then put power to it still with the bypass open and cycled it several times. Closed the bypass and filled the res/tank with a squirt bottle that fit in the res/tank hole using the method stated above (holding it in the up position).

Replaced the cap on the res/tank... cycled down and started back up and I believe about 3/4 or so the way through KABOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that's the best explanation I can come up with

Comment

Talked with Rodbolt17 and i am going to ship it to him to repair, that way everyone that has followed this thread will know the final outcome.

Should be in a box and on its way Monday or Tuesday.... Stay tuned

Comment

this may get fun and interesting .

to properly fill at reassembly simply fill the trim ram cavitiest to just below the threads.
                  install the trim rams.
                  install the pump assy if removed install the reservoir if removed.
                  fill the pump cavity,this may take a little time.
                  fill the tilt cavity to just below the threads,install the memory piston and tilt piston.
                  fill the reservoir.
                  cycle the unit 4-5 times. recheck the resivoir.
                  no need to open bypass valves or cycle the system while filling.
                  if overfilled, POW and its rather messy.

Comment

Was the refill procedure stated in the applicable service manual during reassembly followed?

What service manual? Don't need no stinkin' service manual.

Comment

If it's bled and tested without a load. it preforms fine. Once it's under a load (on the boat with the engine attached) it will not trim DOWN.

that's been the whole issue... trims up then will not trim down

Comment

wish I coulda seen your face when the resivior blew off .
                        priceless.
                        yep we all had that same face in class that day.

dunno what I am gonna find but worse case Ill mount it on my F150.

its been a donkey motor since 07.

its also the motor I figguered out that the factory TPS setting and linkage adjustments simply wont work.

Comment

I wish I would have had a camera rolling for that myself!!!

Finally got it in the mail today... I can't wait to see WTH I have been doing wrong.

Thanks for all you do here for all us not so sharp shadetree wannabees... the main reason I sent to NC to have it fixed. plus I need to end this thread with a FINAL post.

Comment

Any updates???

If not, please post what the issue was once found... Thanks..
                            Scott
                            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

no updates.
                              I have the unit.
                              I will be gone a few days.
                              gotta take my daughter to a dr appt.
                              hopefully Ill know something Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                                no updates.
                                I have the unit.
                                I will be gone a few days.
                                gotta take my daughter to a dr appt.
                                hopefully Ill know something Friday.

Thank you!!!
                                Scott
                                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                                X