2006 Yamaha F115 power trim bleeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did you disassemble the pump??
    or did you just remove the pump housing from the body?

Comment

Only removed the pump from the housing. 3 bolts
      2006 F115 Hurricane 226 Fun Deck

Comment

After a day on the St Johns river... and it was a beautiful one.

Motor would tilt/tilt up no problem... but would not under power trim down. Once I relived the pressure buy slowing the boat it would trim down, once pressure was back on under acceleration it would no longer trim down. made for an interesting day until I learned the secret handshake.

Parties over its a BIG day in the yard then back on this trim problem.

My plan is to...
        Pull the pump and check all the valves AGAIN!
        Take a really good look at that DOWN valve. It has two really fine screens so it must need to be VERY clean.
        Reassemble and bleed.
        PRAY!

Comment

Fun day on the boat...
          Long day in the yard...

Comment

I need a little more information before I pull this thing apart again...

Are there any parts inside the down valve assembly? or is it just a restricting valve? Part #16

they call it a valve sub assembly, so is there a way I could have lost something?

I have the:
            2 screens
            1 valve
            1 o-ring

Comment

don't know what you did.
              that unit suxs.
              I don't have the technologly to send you my class room copy of that silly unit.
              but trust me the only unit that kicks more techs is the single cyl dual ram units.

Comment

I can't imagine what the heck I did either, but I am giving it one more shot then off to the shop with my pants down.

Again, thanks for all the help!

I will post my final findings

Comment

New Question???

I replaced the fluid in my trim with NAPA hydraulic fluid could that be my problem?? is it too thick?

Should I have used dexron III since II is no longer available?
                  Last edited by stuff2c!; 09-17-2014, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stuff2c! View Post
                    New Question???

I replaced the fluid in my trim with NAPA hydraulic fluid could that be my problem?? is it too thick?

Should I have used dexron III since II is no longer available?
                    Hydralic fluid is definitly NOT ATF, more oil based.

I would think Dextron III should be fine, its transmission fluid.

Don't know if it was/is cause your issue but if you put that in an automatic transmission, you'd ruin it...(clutches slipping, etc)..

Rodbolt or Bosco99 will chime in
                    Scott
                    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks Scott again for your help.

My plan is to change it out with the Yamaha fluid if my dealer has it in stock, if not I will use the Dexron III. I kind of like the idea of the Dexron because of the red color, may be easier to detect leaks in the future.

Looking at the down valve it looks like a restricting valve with no moving parts. if the fluid is to thick maybe that would cause the issue.

I will assure you one thing...

I'm going to find out

Comment

Thanks Scott again for your help.

My plan is to change it out with the Yamaha fluid if my dealer has it in stock, if not I will use the Dexron III. I kind of like the idea of the Dexron because of the red color, may be easier to detect leaks in the future.

Looking at the down valve it looks like a restricting valve with no moving parts. if the fluid is to thick maybe that would cause the issue.

I will assure you one thing...

I'm going to find out
                        I dunno... Perhaps.

The F115 from hell!!!!

But yes, I'd like to know the fix... Be nice if it was as simple as fluid...
                        Scott

Comment

So I have a really good friend that's a transmission tech. I told him what I had used in place of transmission fluid. When he finished laughing, he asked me if I had gear lube in my engine.

Well I guess this weekend will tell the tale of what not to use in your trim unit.

Comment

should have paid a professional

Didn't get time to get to the shop to have the caps removed so I could drain all the fluid... Soooo I figure I'd just use a drift to get the tilt cap off and drain it.

Well in my attempt to break it lose I bent the dust ring

I did get the cap off and all the fluid drained by pumping the trim pistons by hand and bumping the pump a few times.

I will have to wait until next week to reinstall the new fluid and test the unit, I just figured I'd give everyone an update.

I don't remember ever having such what I thought was going to be a VERY simple fix, be so dang aggravating.

So Boats dot net just confirm my order

BTW there is a definite difference in viscosity between the NAPA hydraulic fluid and the Dexron ATF
                            Last edited by stuff2c!; 09-20-2014, 02:32 PM.

Comment

should have paid a professional

Didn't get time to get to the shop to have the caps removed so I could drain all the fluid... Soooo I figure I'd just use a drift to get the tilt cap off and drain it.

Well in my attempt to break it lose I bent the dust ring

I did get the cap off and all the fluid drained by pumping the trim pistons by hand and bumping the pump a few times.

I will have to wait until next week to reinstall the new fluid and test the unit, I just figured I'd give everyone an update.

I don't remember ever having such what I thought was going to be a VERY simple fix, be so dang aggravating.

So Boats dot net just confirm my order

BTW there is a definite difference in viscosity between the NAPA hydraulic fluid and the Dexron ATF
                              Once its working, you'll be a pro!!

And yes ATF is very different than hydralic fluid.

Ford ATF put in a GM car (at least in the old days), would ruin the front pump seal everytime... And that's both ATF fluids.....

Well you'll have a second chance to peek down there and make sure nothing has moved out of place.. I'd compare the parts fisch real close to the unit while on the bench...

Good luck!
                              Scott

Comment

Well when someone tells you, you can't overfill the reservoir don't believe it

KABOOOM!

I now have to order a new one (ad another $160 to this easy fix) and I have Dexron III all over my garage.

If this wasn't so ridiculous I'd be really pissed... so I'll just stick with embarrassed for now. But man enough to share LMAO

when the part gets here it's going to the shop for the final tally I'm tired of mess'n with it

thanks for coming along for the ride... I'll be back to share the rest of the story.

I've remodeled homes, restored motorcycles, tricked out a Jeep, built every cabinet in my kitchen (Frank Lloyd Wright Prairie Style) and even recently learned to ride a Unicycle... But this thing has kicked my A$$$$.

Comment

Working...
                                X