2003 Z150TRLB ECM Main Relay Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Nice Guy View Post
    I've ordered the test harness for the ECM peak voltage test.
    "Tested fine" means that I measured the expected voltage given ground and power. (so, if the circuit is a ground - I tested black lead on multimeter to that point, and then red lead to positive battery post)... received 12.68v
    I would not think the relay should be energized with the key in the off position, a good ground with 12 + on the other side of coil of relay should energize(pick up) the relay

I still want to know what the ECU peak voltage you are going to measure goes to(is suppose to do)

Comment

Where in the hell is rodnut?

He is not going to be wanting to miss this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

His explanation about the one relay staying energized even without the key on when both relays are in place has me scratching my head if both are energized with the same Blue/yellow.
        Not to mention the new relay he put in will not energize
        I'm scratching both my head and my nuts.

Comment

The relay is not energized with the key off (since, there's no positive power feed on the opposite side of the relay).

Here's exactly what I did:

I had already determined which blade of the relay socket represents the ground feed from the ECM.

I pulled the relay out of the socket.

KEY OFF
          I put the negative lead of my multimeter into that blade - then, put the red lead of the multimeter to the battery. It tests at 12.68v (seeming to indicate a clean circuit)

KEY ON
          I put the negative lead of my multimeter into that blade - then, put the red lead of the multimeter to the battery. It tests at 8.18v (the ground activated in the ECM appears to be faulty, right?)
          I put the negative lead of my multimeter into the ground blade (same as before) - then, put the red lead of the multimeter to the positive power blade of the relay. It tests at 8.18v

Comment

What I can't figure out is why I have a blue/red (L/R) wire - when there isn't one anywhere in the diagram for this connector. Is it common for the motor to not match the service manual?

Comment

What I can't figure out is why I have a blue/red (L/R) wire - when there isn't one anywhere in the diagram for this connector. Is it common for the motor to not match the service manual?
              What ultimately matters is the pin numbers match up on each end to the same color wire. Normally, blue with red stripe is for the oil level sensor, so it's a surprise to see that used in the relay.
              2011 F50TLR, 2010 G3 V167C

Comment

Well, I've been doing more research - and, I've found a supplemental manual for my specific model - and, the colors match!! I'll post the "new" diagrams shortly. I'm working on trying to figure out exactly what each pin-out on the ECM represents.

Comment

Well, I've been doing more research - and, I've found a supplemental manual for my specific model - and, the colors match!! I'll post the "new" diagrams shortly. I'm working on trying to figure out exactly what each pin-out on the ECM represents.
                  What is the document number please?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

I'm scratching both my head and my nuts.
                    Amazing the uses people find for WD-40.

Comment

as I said before they do have problems from time to time with errors, but I did not know they ever sent out corrections

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

what is the document number please?
                        68l-28197-za-1x supplementary
                        service manual

Comment

These are the full versions of the wiring diagrams:

http://www.d21tech.com/public/YamahaSupWire.jpg
                          http://www.d21tech.com/public/yamahaSupColors.jpg
                          Last edited by Mr. Nice Guy; 05-02-2019, 08:24 PM.

Comment

they do not work for some reason

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                              they do not work for some reason
                              Ok, I fixed the links.

Comment

This might sound dumb, but did you go through the troubleshooting section in the manual for the engine-does-not-start condition? It's actually quite good in most of the manuals I've read. It's meant to keep you out of rabbit holes.

I'm not sure I understand the reason for testing anything except continuity if the engine starts when you bypass the relay. If continuity is good from the start switch to the main relay, and the wires are in the right pins according to the diagram, I would take a break and go back through the troubleshooting map.

Never a bad thing to learn more about wiring though.
                                2011 F50TLR, 2010 G3 V167C

Comment

Working...
                                X