2003 Z150TRLB ECM Main Relay Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
    When the key is turned to the ON position is the blue/yellow (L/Y) wire grounded by the ECM? Pin # 10 at the fuse/relay block connector?
    is that the same blue/yellow that you mentioned earlier in this thread?
    maybe it is and they both are suppose to pick up when the Key is turned to on
    Last edited by 99yam40; 05-02-2019, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Nice Guy View Post
      Another interesting note, if I pull the relay out and turn the key... the Injector Driver Relay (right next to the ECM relay) makes an audible click (closes). When the ECM Relay is in place - the Injector Driver Relay closes no matter if the key is turned or not.
      just bringing this back up since he had the names of the relays wrong.
      So if this is true, the main relay is energized even without the key in the on position.
      OP is this true?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

is that the same blue/yellow that you mentioned earlier in this thread?
        maybe it is and they both are suppose to pick up when the Key is turned to on
        The WD shows the same L/Y wire from the ECM to the ground side of both relay control circuits.

Would be a simple matter of checking those wires for the presence of a ground with (1) the key in the OFF position and the (2) the key in the ON position.

My thinking is that the ECM being powered by the key switch causes the ECM to provide a ground to both relays. My thinking has been wrong in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

The WD shows the same L/Y wire from the ECM to the ground side of both relay control circuits.

Would be a simple matter of checking those wires for the presence of a ground with (1) the key in the OFF position and the (2) the key in the ON position.

My thinking is that the ECM being powered by the key switch causes the ECM to provide a ground to both relays. My thinking has been wrong in the past.
          His explanation about the one relay staying energized even without the key on when both relays are in place has me scratching my head if both are energized with the same Blue/yellow.
          Not to mention the new relay he put in will not energize
          Last edited by 99yam40; 05-02-2019, 11:48 AM.

Comment

just bringing this back up since he had the names of the relays wrong.
            So if this is true, the main relay is energized even without the key in the on position.
            OP is this true?
            Yes, the Main Relay is closing with or without key turn (as long as the Injector Relay is in place)... If I pull the Injector Relay - the ECM Relay will close only when the key is turned.

Comment

His explanation about the one relay staying energized even without the key on when both relays are in place has me scratching my head if both are energized with the same Blue/yellow.
              Not to mention the new relay he put in will not energize
              This mirrors my concern. If they share a common ground, they both should close... right?

I've compared the diagrams to the actual plug - and, I guess I'm a little confused. The diagram says both of these wires should be blue/yellow (L/Y)... but, the actual plug shows differently... what am I missing?

YamahaWireOut.jpg

Comment

Perhaps I should ask the question, am I reading this correctly. Do these number correlate?

YamahaFullPage.jpg

Comment

This might help you with the colors:

https://maxrules.com/fixyamahawiring.php

2011 F50TLR, 2010 G3 V167C

Comment

Ok - I did some testing, here's what I found.

Tested from the ECM to the pigtail - all tested fine (eg. no breaks in the wires)
                    Key Off - Test at pigtail for ground at #10... tested fine.
                    Plug in pigtail to fuseblock... key off - test #10 (at blade input on relay housing)... tested fine.
                    Turn on key - test #10 - tests at 8.18 volts. Sounds like a bad ground circuit. I assume this means the ECM is bad?

Comment

what does tested fine mean?

Do the wire colors and #s match at the ECU pin out ?
                      Blue/yellow on #9 and Blue/red on #10?

can you post up something from the manual for the ECU
                      Last edited by 99yam40; 05-02-2019, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Turn on key - test #10 - tests at 8.18 volts. Sounds like a bad ground circuit. I assume this means the ECM is bad?
                        8.something doesn't sound right. But you have to test the ECM output peak voltage to know if it's bad. I wouldn't just assume it's bad.. they're expensive.
                        2011 F50TLR, 2010 G3 V167C

Comment

I've ordered the test harness for the ECM peak voltage test.
                          "Tested fine" means that I measured the expected voltage given ground and power. (so, if the circuit is a ground - I tested black lead on multimeter to that point, and then red lead to positive battery post)... received 12.68v

Comment

My limited understanding of electrical stuff is that a "partial voltage or reduced voltage" indicates a partial or faulty ground... am I mistaken here?

Comment

Do the wire colors and #s match at the ECU pin out ?
                              Blue/yellow on #9 and Blue/red on #10?
                              Yes, the pin outs matched (although, the expected colors didn't seem right based on the diagram - but, I imagine that's just my lack of experience in reading them)

can you post up something from the manual for the ECU
                              What would you like to see? The pin-out for the ECU?

Comment

Yes, the pin outs matched (although, the expected colors didn't seem right based on the diagram - but, I imagine that's just my lack of experience in reading them)

What would you like to see? The pin-out for the ECU?
                                Some time the diagrams just are not right. hard to tell unless you chase them down like you did.

So it looks like your motor does not match the manual.
                                I mainly wanted to know if the wire colors at the fuse block pin out matched the ECU wire pin out colors on 9 &10

Does the manual give a diagram showing the pin out and what they come from?
                                seems I saw something like that that showed the ECU itself with something inside of it awhile back( general block diagram), but it was wrong also once we all knocked it around for awhile
                                Last edited by 99yam40; 05-02-2019, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X