2003 Z150TRLB ECM Main Relay Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
    you just need to find the proper people that know what is required to make this system work properly.
    Boscoe has already asked if the ground is being provided for the main relay when the Key is turned to the on position( Blue/yellow wire).

I would check at the relay and back at the ECM to see
    need to make sure there is not a bad connection or wire

do not start chasing rabbits down holes others send you to.

Rodbolt is a Yamaha master tech, and Boscoe is the master of finding info on these things.
    do what they ask
    Yep. Thinking Rod may break a few balls when he reads this. If he has the patience.

Comment

with what is going on down south, I am not sure he is paying attention to this forum

Comment

with what is going on down south, I am not sure he is paying attention to this forum
        True. Best thing is to stay off streets for those people. But food is a problem that requires constant travel. Lady at work is Romanian and remembers the mess from 1989. Food was not as big an issue so they were able to stay inside until it ended. She remembers the tanks in the streets.

Comment

not all outboards use a charge coil and a CDI ignition system which you are describing
          I know. I didn't mention CDI, because I assume this is TCI. Feel free to correct me if that's wrong. But that difference has nothing to do with the relevancy of testing peak voltage. I'm not saying that the problem is definitely the ECM. I'm saying it might be, given that someone (the original owner, I assume) carved up a random relay for a car and shoved it in their Yamaha. Most of the time, the peak voltage test will just confirm that the ECM and pulser coil are fine. But it's an easy test to perform and helps rule out one of many possibilities.
          2011 F50TLR, 2010 G3 V167C

Comment

Originally posted by rejesterd View Post

I'm surprised it's not in your service manual, but it's a very common test like I described earlier. It's the same basic test for all modern engines. The manual should at least give you the specs for output peak voltage when cranking. There's usually a whole section on just specifications. I don't have your manual, so I don't know what the values are. But a peak voltage test is a universal thing.. not specific to any Yamaha model.
            This test is, indeed, outlined in the Yamaha Service Manual on page 8-15.

Comment

Could someone point me to a procedure that explains how to test the ECM ground? I'm good with mechanical stuff, but not so much with electrical.

Comment

I will repeat

Boscoe has already asked if the ground is being provided for the main relay when the Key is turned to the on position( Blue/yellow wire).

Comment

I will repeat

I understand that this is the test to perform - I'm simply asking, how do you perform it? I just want to make sure I'm testing this in the correct manner.... e.g. Put the multimeter on the "X" setting, put the red test lead on "X", put the black test lead on "X"...

Comment

My thoughts are that it needs to be checked with the key in the on position, so find where the Blue/yellow is on the relay and the ECU pins.
                    turn meter to DC volts
                    Black meter lead on battery negative/ground
                    and then red lead to the blue/yellow wire points.
                    if the ECU does not provide a good ground connection to pull in the relay, then the reading you get will be battery voltage (12.? V)as long as the fuse is allowing that voltage to the relay coil.
                    You will be reading thru the coil, so the relay needs to be in place.

if the ECU provides a good ground to pull in the relay then the voltage measured from the neg battery post to that blue/yellow wire will be 0 volts( same potential as the negative battery terminal)

IF you do read 12.? v at the relay pin out ,I would then read it at the ECU pin out to make sure that wire and connections are OK between them and get the 12v to there also.
                    if the ECU is not providing the needed ground that wire should be showing the 12.? v at the ECU pin also

Comment

Glad you found the section in the manual about checking the ECM.

btw, does your trim/tilt switch work at both key-on and key-off?

(edited, as the bits about 5v reference are kinda moot as I forgot you have YDS)
                      Last edited by rejesterd; 05-01-2019, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Just to clarify, I'm asking about the trim/tilt, because as this thread continues, it seems more and more like a blown fuse. I know you said you tested them, but did the number of fuses that you tested match the number shown in the wiring diagram?

Comment

So, as I mentioned - I'm not good with electric systems... and, that includes wiring diagrams. I was working under the premise that the order of the relays shown in the diagram matched the physical order on the motor. Last night, I found a diagram early in chapter 8 that showed the "bad" relay as the Injector Relay - NOT, the ECM Relay as I had incorrectly surmised. My apologies, I know this is a bonehead mistake and I wish I had found this before wasting your time... but, the ACTUAL relay that is not closing is the Injector Relay...

The diagram I just found is at the top (and is found on page 8-5) - it shows that the first Relay on the left as #5 (and, that's the one that's not working/closing). In the lower diagram, the Driver relay is actually represented by the middle item - I didn't understand that at the time.

YamahaWireMixup.jpg
                          Attached Files

Comment

well it seems that you still need to know if there is 12 + to the relay and if the ECU is giving the relay a neg to operate , but that should be when the motor is turning .
                            injectors should not be putting out fuel if the motor is not turning

Comment

When the key is turned to the ON position is the blue/yellow (L/Y) wire grounded by the ECM? Pin # 10 at the fuse/relay block connector?

Comment

Cool man. I enjoyed the thread, so certainly didn't feel like a waste of time. Thanks for the update.

Comment

Working...
                                X