No announcement yet.

2004 F115 Low oil pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A marine mechanic told me about a new yammy bulleton that has came out a while back... Seems warped pans/ warped strainer surface is not a totally uncommon cause of low oil pressure... The bulletin explains how to test (rule out oil pan issue). Fill the oil level slap full to the point where it comes out when you put in the dipstick. When you run it, if the problem of low oil pressure goes away (the oil pressure is at spec), it is a oil pan issue, it if remains low it is something else ( pump/ powerhead).

I guess the reasoning behind this is that when you overfill the oil level, the level will be higher than the mating surfaces of the strainer and instead of sucking air if warped it will be sucking oil ( usually the oil level isn't that high and there is air, but w/ oil level so high it would still suck oil)...

I haven't tried it yet, but plan on it... i'm a little concerned because i've always been taught too much oil will blow gaskets, ect...
    Last edited by BIGELOW-; 11-25-2015, 11:34 PM.

Comment

2003 f115

I have recently purchased a Triumph boat with Yamaha 115 on it with Yamaha gauges. The light/bar under the oil icon on gauge is flashing. I called the local dealer and he said bring it in. I have the Yamaha software and connector but I cannot get to show me the actual oil pressure. Does anyone know how to make the software show you the actual PSI?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrewb5 View Post
        I have the Yamaha software and connector but I cannot get to show me the actual oil pressure. Does anyone know how to make the software show you the actual PSI?
        "unless I'm mistaken"

The software can't tell you, because the engine doesn't know.

Some models have an oil pressure sensing device which provides a range of electrical values varying with the pressure - ergo a specific pressure value.

other models - like the F115 - have an oil pressure sensing device which is simply an on/off switch: not high enough / high enough

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
          "unless I'm mistaken"

The software can't tell you, because the engine doesn't know.

Some models have an oil pressure sensing device which provides a range of electrical values varying with the pressure - ergo a specific pressure value.

other models - like the F115 - have an oil pressure sensing device which is simply an on/off switch: not high enough / high enough
          You are not mistaken. You are correct. As usual.

Comment

Working...
          X