This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
    Are we talking liquid flow tests OR air flow tests?
    Fixed that for ya..

EXACTLY: FLOW tests ARE USUALLY AIR FLOW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGIkTsmNPr8

I'm not sure if walleye is referring to FUEL FLOW thru the inlet
    (and you posted that pic that said "FLOW TESTING"-in-correct wording IMO by Yamaha) which is really fuel flow, to make sure the inlet is free and clear.

Two very different things.

Fuel flow-checking it, OF COURSE.

AIR FLOW TESTING (as mentioned by Walleye) I called BS and stand by it.

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-12-2018, 09:14 AM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

The carbs on a pro v 150 are a different animal, nothing close to a quaderjunk or a holly or a carter. These carbs can be a beach to get clean.

Comment

If you don't flow test these carbs after cleaning you will be pulling them back off and recleaning them.
        Been there done that for free, if there is still crap in there [the inlet] you will have a high speed miss.

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
          The carbs on a pro v 150 are a different animal, nothing close to a quaderjunk or a holly or a carter. These carbs can be a beach to get clean.
          I never said it was the same.

Now, re post #32, you posted quote:

"If that engine has one carb for two cylinders they need to be flow tested after cleaning" end quote.

Are you referring to fuel flowing cleanly / fully thru the intake nipple OR actual AIR FLOW TESTING?

Scott

Comment

We posted the same time...

You don't check clean that fuel intake nipple as part of a regular cleaning??? Yea, nay, or AFTERWARDS?

I start there and work inwards, again, the issue is usually at the jets themselves.
            Scott

Comment

boscoe posted the pic, it is water used and you have to have a straight up stream flow!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
                boscoe posted the pic, it is water used and you have to have a straight up stream flow!!!!!!!
                Ok, with this reply, your referring to FUEL FLOW, NOT CFM testing as you posted earlier and are avoiding.

*Your not answering my question, do you NOT CHECK fuel flow FIRST? You posted you have to have it FLOW TESTED ONCE DONE.. ????? Please splain?

BTW, the main and idle jets are accessible W/O even pulling the bowls:

Jets 10, 13 and the other side, idle and main jets(heck, that's a much easier carb to clean):
                Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-12-2018, 09:37 AM.
                Scott

Comment

I did not say anything about cfm. Carbs are dirty, take them apart clean them in a sonic cleaner and test.Im done.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

I remember now that you posted this in the past. Thank God I don’t have carbs on the F150. Interesting test to put a final confirmation on a PIA job.
                    I really don't want to make this go on anymore, so please give a short reply if desired.

I think what Walleye was trying to get at is that this "particular"carb is prone to have the inlet passage plugged up and is "particularly" hard to get the crap out of there. Is this correct Walleye?

This is why it is suggested to do a visual flow test of this carbs inlet passages using liquid.

Maybe a bit more detail in the original post would have saved a lot of typing?

Clear communication from all is the key on this type of forum. Save a lot of debate....

Comment

You guys can have your carbs on larger motors. Too many bad memories of cold starts, no starts, farting sounds, no power in the mountains etc. Even Nascar got rid of their carbs. Eliminated the carb tuning experts.

Suddenly there are a bunch of F1 guys interested in working with Nascar.

Comment

Yes panasonic and thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                          You guys can have your carbs on larger motors. Too many bad memories of cold starts, no starts, farting sounds, no power in the mountains etc. Even Nascar got rid of their carbs. Eliminated the carb tuning experts.

Suddenly there are a bunch of F1 guys interested in working with Nascar.
                          In exchange you now have EFI tuning experts. But given that they use a stupidly simple speed density system they don't have as much to work with. If they wanted to they could implement an EFI system that could be tuned remotely while on the fly. Maybe they can use that in the future to increase parity. If one or more cars are running away from the others simply dial back some power on the leaders to let the losers try and catch up.

If it was up to me I would have the pole sitter start at the back of the field. Invert the qualifying positions if you will. Let the better racers and better cars have to work their way through the field to get to the front.

I don't seem to recall seeing flames out of the exhaust stacks with the EFI system like we used to see when NASCAR used carburetors. I miss that.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                            Agreed and more efficient than a single barrel, or one carb.

The older Suzuki 140 two strokes are FI'ed, however, they use ONE, large throttle body vs say my F150 with TWO, 2 barrel TB's..
                            The old Yamaha XT600 was a single cylinder twin carby bike also. It had four valves, each of the two intake valves were individually supplied by a carby, and each of the exhaust valves had individual ports leading into individual exhaust pipes!. I'm sure many were sold/ are in USA.

In the V8 twin carby setups spoken about, each cylinder has a set time to draw fuel/air in through the two carbies when others are not doing so, so in essence the engine works as individual cylinders each as if they have twin carbs.

With FI of course only one throttle body is necessary no matter the amount of cylinders, because the air intake is not required to suck in fuel as well. This is where carbys have a distinct cutoff or limit in their ability to add fuel to the air at low air velocity.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

In exchange you now have EFI tuning experts. But given that they use a stupidly simple speed density system they don't have as much to work with. If they wanted to they could implement an EFI system that could be tuned remotely while on the fly. Maybe they can use that in the future to increase parity. If one or more cars are running away from the others simply dial back some power on the leaders to let the losers try and catch up.

If it was up to me I would have the pole sitter start at the back of the field. Invert the qualifying positions if you will. Let the better racers and better cars have to work their way through the field to get to the front.

I don't seem to recall seeing flames out of the exhaust stacks with the EFI system like we used to see when NASCAR used carburetors. I miss that.
                              I don’t care much about NASCAR as a sport anymore. I always liked the cars and engines. I had the privilege of knowing Randy Dorton since we both were from the Charlotte NC area. He ran the Hendrick Racing engine program. Really didn’t have much formal education but was brilliant with the motors. He was a kind, unassuming sort of guy. Those motors put Jeff Gordon and a few others on the map.

He was a victim of an under equipped airplane flown by weak willed pilots. He was one of ten on a King Air that hit a mountain while trying to find an airport near Martinsville VA. Very poor weather. Wish I could have spent more time with him.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

JerEazy2, if you put a phillips head bit in your cordless drill (or electric screw driver), you can R&R those screws REAL QUICK!

And it sounds as if you simply need to pull the jets and make sure their clear.

I gotta remember the battery drill next time I do anything on the intake haha.

are you saying I could just remove the pilot screws, spray some cleaner in there and then just put them back in and turn out to spec?

that would be much easier....

Comment

Working...
                                X