Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it is not a single carb, it is a double barrel carb with two of everything except fuel input
    feeding 2 separate cylinders.
    big difference
    Last edited by 99yam40; 04-11-2018, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
      It is two floats per carb, one float per cyld. top carb handles #1 nd #2 cyld and so on. CHECK?
      You posted flow testing a single carb that feeds TWO CYLINDERS after a cleaning.

Your mixing apples and oranges for some reason...

And yes, this particular engine (and many OTHERS), it's a SINGLE CARB, two barrels, with TWO separate float bowls and floats.
      (Rochchesters made two barrel carbs with a single float, float bowl, same as a 4 BBL Quadrajet.. Hollys, 4 BBLs, two separate bowls and two separate bowls.).

Has nothing to do with flow, but absolutely agreed, the fuel flow, thru the carb nipple, should be cleaned and checked with any cleaning.

*As we're mixing apples and oranges, here's a 2 barrel carb, ONE FLOAT, ONE float bowl, for a TWIN cylinder, "V" KOHLER 18 HP engine:
      (Notice the float stuck OPEN while the carb is upside down-one of two issues fixed)

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-12-2018, 08:41 AM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        I remember now that you posted this in the past. Thank God I don’t have carbs on the F150. Interesting test to put a final confirmation on a PIA job.

Comment

Sorry to interrupt the flow testing convo (which actually is kinda interesting)

but it yes I obviously didn’t clean it out properly. I misread a post about “don’t bother removing the screws on the top.” Or the “SS plate” somewhere and didn’t have a manual at the time so I didn’t do it. Excuses excuses.

i’m Ordering new kits today
          Last edited by JerEazy2; 04-11-2018, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1
            LOOK THE FING ENGING UP DIP.
            exactly what does this mean.
            need a translation to english
            maybe we should be paying attention to what motor is being talked about in the thread

Just noticed I have 6 marks now
            Last edited by 99yam40; 04-11-2018, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Anybody want a Fresca?

Comment

I tend to drink Sprite or 7 Up

Comment

Originally posted by JerEazy2 View Post

Rebuilt the carbs less than a month ago (and they needed it!) and i did notice that when i was turning in the screws to check the setting originally, some were almost 2 turns out.

And thank you for the advice on turning them out as opposed to in. I wasn't sure which direction to correct a lean condition. i should be able to check that at some point next week. So we shall see!

Thanks again.
                  I would revisit your carbs again, as you said they were in "need" of cleaning. I assume that they were quite dirty?

Very easy to miss a passage or an orifice on the first cleaning. You need to take them completely apart and make sure they are squeaky clean.

Compressed air is your friend whIle doing this and some fine copper wire strands to poke thru all the passage ways

Once you get them clean and back on do the link and sync and start your adjustments from there.

Keep at it....you will get it running right soon enough.

Comment

The thing is - the carb rebuild isn’t the annoying part - I enjoy engine work. It’s the 47 screws that hold on the air box that I hate taking out and putting back in.

i am curious where that picture of hooking up the hose to the carb fuel line is from. I’ve never ran water through fuel lines before Bessie’s just a finishing rinse in the sink.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300

Yep, I'll bite. When would you use two carbs on one cylinder?
                      Suzuki XF650 is a single cylinder motorcycle with TWO Mikuni carburettors.

Although not actual single cylinder, V8 engines can fit Edelbrock manifolds that can take two distinct (Holley) carbs , and they act as two supplying each cylinder together in turn.

As a direct answer, you may use two when one can't supply the CFM desired. But they are also used to increase low end torque, through better low airflow performance of smaller throats but added together still provide top end HP

But I think the argument centres around that there are multi barrel carburettors that act as multi carburettors with separate "supply's" (floats etc).and adjustments.
                      Last edited by zenoahphobic; 04-12-2018, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1
                        What I said is the truth, LOOK THE FING ENGING UP DIP. I havedone this for too long SIR. Here is my cell 309-38-4076.
                        I don't need to look up that making sure the inlet is clear and open... It's part of the BASIC cleaning.

Doesn't matter if it's a two barrel, 4 barrel, one float/two, etc, the INLET needs to be clear...

IME, it's VERY rare that clogs as the jets clog up WAY before the inlet at their MUCH, MUCH SMALLER..

If I am in-correct here ^^^, I will be glad to call.

BTW, I've been cleaning carbs as well for 48 YEARS... So I've seen (and repaired a few)..

JerEazy2, if you put a phillips head bit in your cordless drill (or electric screw driver), you can R&R those screws REAL QUICK!

And it sounds as if you simply need to pull the jets and make sure their clear.

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-12-2018, 08:01 AM.
                        Scott

Comment

FLOW TESTING:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGIkTsmNPr8
                          Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-12-2018, 08:38 AM.
                          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post

Suzuki XF650 is a single cylinder motorcycle with TWO Mikuni carburettors. I found that XF650 on-line, not sold in the US, but yes, you are correct..

Although not actual single cylinder, V8 engines can fit Edelbrock manifolds that can take two distinct (Holley) carbs , and they act as two supplying each cylinder together in turn.
                            Not really. You have 8 barrels total(for an 8 cylinder engine. All the Edelbrock manifolds have an OPEN PLENUM OR an off set /"step" plenum. IE, each carb barrel is NOT directed into ONE cylinder only..

As a direct answer, you may use two when one can't supply the CFM desired. But they are also used to increase low end torque, through better low airflow performance of smaller throats but added together still provide top end HP

But I think the argument centres around that there are multi barrel carburettors that act as multi carburettors with separate "supply's" (floats etc).and adjustments.
                            Agreed and more efficient than a single barrel, or one carb.

The older Suzuki 140 two strokes are FI'ed, however, they use ONE, large throttle body vs say my F150 with TWO, 2 barrel TB's..

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by JerEazy2 View Post
                              The thing is - the carb rebuild isn’t the annoying part - I enjoy engine work. It’s the 47 screws that hold on the air box that I hate taking out and putting back in.

i am curious where that picture of hooking up the hose to the carb fuel line is from. I’ve never ran water through fuel lines before Bessie’s just a finishing rinse in the sink.
                              I real man would use gasoline to flow test a carburetor instead of water. A bold man.

Comment

Are we talking liquid flow tests or air flow tests?
                                Last edited by boscoe99; 04-12-2018, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X