2 stroke yamaha 115 oil issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

What are the alignment marks for?? I literally just dropped it in the tank and put the sender in the middle of it. It went in that easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Seacraft12 View Post
        What are the alignment marks for?? I literally just dropped it in the tank and put the sender in the middle of it. It went in that easy.
        For the proper orientation of the strainer onto the sender and the sender onto the tank. Easy is one thing. Correctly is another thing.

I would pull it back out and make sure that both are installed correctly. Just dropping it in might not get the job done. Maybe that is why you had the problem with the bent strainer.

The strainer goes on the sender first, snapping into place, and then the sender/strainer go into the tank with the triangles properly aligned with each other. Make sure the foam seal is installed on the strainer nipple.

We have a saying "after all else fails, follow directions".

Comment

Will do, I'll reinstall after supah tonight. Thanks

Comment

Just installed correctly. Thanks for all the help on this one. By the way what is the purpose of the foam piece on the bottom? Thanks

Comment

Just installed correctly. Thanks for all the help on this one. By the way what is the purpose of the foam piece on the bottom? Thanks
              It is a seal to keep oil from bypassing the strainer. Without the seal some oil would flow to the oil pump between the nipple at the bottom of the strainer and the oil tank.

Comment

Will do, I'll reinstall after supah tonight. Thanks
                I thought "supah" was a southern saying.

Comment

It might be but it is also a Maine thing. Thanks again for the wicked pissah education. Auyh.

Comment

Seacraft12~

I recently went through replacing my strainer and thanks to the help from those on this forum I learned how crucial it is to install the strainer correctly. There are several little "nubs" (very small) on the top portion of the sensor and there are also corresponding holes in the top of the strainer and these must be aligned when assembled.

Also, I think it was Rodbolt that cautioned that the black foam washer at the bottom of the strainer must be installed properly, and make sure it doesn't fall in to the hole, which would interrupt the oil flow causing seizure of your engine.

Please let us know if you got your problem solved.

Comment

i believe the issue is solved. i will try running it today in the water. i did line up the nubs and holes in the strainer with the sender and have the washer in place as per the picture that boscoe referenced. i will report any and all findings good or bad tonight hopefully. Thanks.

Comment

All went smooth tonight. No alarms and oil was transferred automatically. Now I just need to adjust my neutral idle. It varies between 5-600 and it stalled out a few times in neutral.

Comment

Working...
                        X