2 stroke yamaha 115 oil issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 stroke yamaha 115 oil issue

This my first post as I have recently repowered with a yamaha. I currently have a 2001 yamaha 115 2 stroke on a 20 Seacraft. After I installed it on the boat I put it in the water and fired it up. It wasn't 45 seconds later when I noticed oil leaking out of the cowling. I ensured both oil tanks were filled prior to launching. Oil was leaking out the overflow hose on top of the engine oil tank. This would only happen if the local tank was calling for oil from the remote tank when it didn't need it. I secured the engine, hauled the boat out and brought it home where I cleaned the spilled oil and retested on the hose at the house. It did not occur again so back I went to the ramp. This time no oil leak but I was unable to get above 2000 rpms. It was obviously in safe mode but I was getting no audible or visual alarms on the digital gauge. I called a yamaha tech and he told me to disconnect the 4 wire harness coming from the top of the oil tank on the engine and see if then would allow for full power. And yes it did, had no problem with that harness not plugged in. So my question is, are my two problems related and what part do I need to replace? Thank you.

does this appear to be the local oil tank sending unit? also, if it was calling for oil why was i not getting any alarms on the digital tach? it read full oil on the tach. do you think that replacing the sending unit would fix the full power issue? what test can i do to check this before investing in part? Thank you.

Comment

i must have read 100 posts about oil and have found some similar info but nothing about getting no alarms for oil and still being in limp mode until i disconect the local oil tank harnes.

anyone............

Comment

How are you certain that it is in RPM reduction mode?

Only two things cause RPM reduction. Low oil quantity in the main oil tank of an over temperature event.

There are many things that will prevent a motor from developing rated RPM.

With respect to the oil tank sensor, it just has three switches in it. Simply check the switches for proper opening and closing per the service manual.

With the oil tank sensor disconnected what did you see on the tachometer?

Was the oil tank sensor connected or disconnected when the motor would not go over 2000 RPM?

Comment

I only got 1900 rpm with the sensor connected. Any more throttle than that and it would not do it. With the sensor disconnected I got 5300. I did not plug it in after I got full power but this afternoon with everything connected again on the garden hose I was able to push past 2000 briefly. Isis not want to go past that on the hose but at least I pushed past the magic 2000 limit. Hopefully it was just a loose harness or something. I will try it in the water tomorrow. Thanks for the reply Boscoe. I appreciate it.

Comment

did you actually test the alarm?
            its dirt simple.
            I have posted how to do it about 100 times.

one simple task will perform 4 maint functions in less than 5 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Seacraft12 View Post
              I only got 1900 rpm with the sensor connected. Any more throttle than that and it would not do it. With the sensor disconnected I got 5300. I did not plug it in after I got full power but this afternoon with everything connected again on the garden hose I was able to push past 2000 briefly. Isis not want to go past that on the hose but at least I pushed past the magic 2000 limit. Hopefully it was just a loose harness or something. I will try it in the water tomorrow. Thanks for the reply Boscoe. I appreciate it.
              I believe Yamaha retards timing to limit RPM , and would not affect no load RPM that much. But under load it would.

As Rodbolt said fix the alarm system (buzzer)and your oil level problem

Comment

Is this what you are refering too?

easy way?
                drain the engine oil tank.
                make sure the remote tank is at least 1/2 full.
                turn on the key.
                you now should have an alarm,3 bars flashing on the tach and 180 seconds of transfer.
                if switch SWB,remote tank level, is bad or the wiring is bad NO automatic transfer will ever occur and the center bar or yellow lamp is illuminated.
                that enine you can test the engine oil tank switchs with key on engine off UNLESS it has the updated oil control module that has a green/white wire going to the pulser coils.

Comment

I suppose this has something to do with the problem of both over filling the local tank and also not giving me an alarm when low until I pull the sender out of the tank. Since it is bent throughout and distorted at the top causing the float to get stuck both in the up and down position sometimes. I drained the tank, turned the key on and got no alarms or oil pumping until I pulled the sender out.

Comment

you got bit by the ham fisted backyardigan.

replace the stainer,properly and replace that rubber seal and retest.

Comment

It would appear so. I assume the strainer simply slides right in to the tank but where's the rubber seal supposed to be? Thanks everyone.

Comment

there is a certain way for the unit to be installed, should be in the service manual or do some more searching as some one posted pics out of manual on it before

Comment

Thanks, ill have to bet the manual as it appears the pics you spoke on here have been removed. Thanks again though.

Comment

2 stroke yamaha 115 oil issue

Hi there Seacraft12
                            Almetelo very kindly sent this to me when I was having problems with my Yamaha 130. This manual covers both the 130 and the 115.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bxi...kFDU3RscUZHc28

Go to page 73 of the manual and you'll find what you're looking for.

Also look through my threads. (Speedcop)
                            There is a lot of very good advice from members and Senior members on this forum.

Good luck.

Dennis. (Speedcop)
                            There is no task too simple for some people to complicate!
                            Challenger 16ft - 1999 Yamaha 130 BETO

Comment

***, thanks Dennis!! That will come in handy. Ill check out your other posts as well

Comment

Working...
                              X