over charging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• over charging?

I have a 1991 TLRP 70hp and I change charging coils ( old coils burnt ) and rectifier regulator and now is charging at 17.0 volts at 4200 rpm. When I first start the engine it will charge at 13.50 volts and slowly goes to 17 volts. Is this normal or I got a bad rectifier. Thank you.

yes it is over charging might be what burnt your old coils out

Comment

pull the battery have it tested and clean all connections.
      Something is not right if the new regulator is not doing its job and the old one smoked the charge coils.

Comment

over charging

I checked the battery terminals seems ok and cleaned them anyway. So I check the new rectifier from black wire to the 2 green wires and I have no continuity, should have low ohm reading according to the repair manual.
        So I guess I'll get another rectifier.

Comment

overcharging

Originally posted by benyoung View Post
          I have a 1991 TLRP 70hp and I change charging coils ( old coils burnt ) and rectifier regulator and now is charging at 17.0 volts at 4200 rpm. When I first start the engine it will charge at 13.50 volts and slowly goes to 17 volts. Is this normal or I got a bad rectifier. Thank you.
          Check the output on the stator also! Stator could blow rectifier and coils, more expensive job but will blow out new rectifier if it is the stator!

Comment

Working...
          X