analogue gauges not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• analogue gauges not working

found that my gauges weren't working with my '92 70hp yamaha the other day. found the 10a fuse was blown but replacing this didnt help. there is a small box that looks like a relay but cant really tell. does anyone have any ideas? thanks

Shouldn't be any relay for the gauges. Check that have 12 volts between yellow and black wires(with key on) at gauge. If don't check wiring and key switch, if do may be a bad gauge.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

thanks for the reply.
      i am only getting 2.3v at the yellow wire, but its running at 12.5amp and is getting quite hot. the oil full light is the only thing working. i have tacho fuel, trim and hour gauges.
      is there anything else worth checking?
      did a visual on the wiring around the motor and appears fine.
      do you think there may be a fault somewhere between the motor and console?

Comment

Do you mean the Tach is getting hot, if so you have a bad tach. Not sure what you mean by running at 12.5 amps, there shouldn't be anything at console that would draw that much amperage.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

that yellow wire that has the 12v for all the gauges is getting hot from the high current
          yeah i know nothing should draw that many amps so a little curious why.
          maybe i will have to take it in somewhere
          can you tell me what that little black box that has the wires from the gauges going into it is?

Comment

Here is the basic wiring for Yamaha analog gauges.
            Analog704Wiring.JPG
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X