flywheel stuck!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flywheel stuck!!!

I hope someone can help me. I am trying to remove the flywheel from a 1990 90hp and have tried everything.I've tried a puller, soaked it with penetrating oil, heated it up, beat on it with the puller cranking on it. I've been trying for over a week. Help please!!!
    Tony

loosen nut till its flush with the crank end, hit squarely with a 5 lb hammer.

Comment

Thanks jb. I've tried that. Any other ideas ? I'm at a loss.

Comment

Flywheel

I pull the flywheel with a puller that is made of 20mm high strength steel plate. There is a forest machine's wheel's high strength M20 bolt in the center of the plate and over 2 foot long hadles to tighten the center bolt. Every wheel comes off easily, always. Please do not heat or hit your shaft with anything. You need better tools.

Comment

Yamaha, Thanks ! Where would I purchase the puller you are talking about? Or did you fabricate it yourself?

Comment

Tool

Hi. I had it laser cut. Then the 2,5 foot handle was welded to it but it can be integrated to the cutting DXF also and the big nut in the middle is welded. The nut and the bolt are off a big forest machine wheel. Then you need maybe 10.9/12.9 M8 bolts for the flywheel.

Just drill 3x9mm holes and the center hole to a plate and wed a nut for the center bolt.

I don't know who sells these tools on your side of the pond.

Comment

I was told to use diesel fuel to unstick the part. What do you think? Let it sit in the recess and wait . I don't want to ruin any parts underneath.

Comment

I've heard that a mixture of Acetone and Automatic Transmission Fluid makes a really great penetrating fluid for stuck parts/bolts/etc....haven't used it myself so far but I would try it. Good Luck!

Comment

hello
                  try to find a puller with a big center bolt and fine thread. try also to find one with the thickest plate.
                  use short m8 bolts in the flywheel.i use stainless steel bolts
                  don't go cheap, they are not strong enough, they are made to pull steering wheels.
                  you should find one at napa or any professional automobile tool store.
                  once the puller is under tension, i little hit on the center bolt with a hammer and it should pop up.if it does not, use a little propane torch and heat up around the crankshaft, the heat will expend the flywheel and release.
                  any liquid wrench, pb blaster or whatever will not penetrate, there is no space between flywheel and crank.
                  good luck
                  frenchy

Comment

Well I'm still trying to remove this flywheel . Thanks for the suggestions, I have tried everyone of them seperately and in any combonation you can think of ????? I did try 2 very heavy duty pullers and niether of them worked.

Comment

I have the same problem. I can't get my flywheel off my yamaha f150 outboard. I ruined the harbor freight puller and broke bolts off rental units.

Comment

You have to get a puller that is stiff enough and bolts that are strong enough not to stretch. You have not found that combination yet.

If you can keep tightening the bolt and it does not get to a point where brings up solid ( this is usually just before the flywheel pops off) then the puller is bending or the bolts are stretching, or both.

Are you using a impact gun to tighten the bolt?

Sometimes it will make the difference. The quick sharp shocks from the gun can break the tapers hold.

Comment

call around various Yamaha dealerships.
                          Yamaha Too dept introduced a hydraulic puller some years back.

harbor freight stuff sometimes just wont work.

never had a flywheel beat me but I have had some tough ones.

Comment

Perhaps a bit of heat from a hot air gun applied to the flywheel will expand it enough to the point that it will pop free. And I do mean pop.

To help keep stuff in place, loosely attach the nut so that when the flywheel departs the crank shaft it will stay in place.

And yes, the use of an impact wrench will definitely help.

Comment

I wrote this some time ago, there may have been rum involved...

IF it gets real ugly, like trying to resurrect something brought up from the Titanic...

Penetrant oil (PB Blaster is a favorite) for a few days if you have the patients to wait that long. It really should not be required as long as this is not a big rusty mess...

Fly wheel puller (I think a harmonic balance puller may work just fine, in fact I think that is what I used last time on my Yamaha 150 last year) bolted on and under tension (does not have to be diver tight, just under tension) slowly, I repeat slowly heat the mass of the flywheel with a gentle flame of a propane torch...Not a Bic lighter and not an Oxy/Acetylene rig either, just a standard Bernzmatic blue torch.. Mapp gas is OK too but nothing much hotter than that. Kinda tough to explain in words but think of cooking a roast, you need the heat to soak all the way in before you burn the outside, so you use a lower heat... It can be a stout propane flame, you just want to plan on keeping it moving, heating the complete mass yet trying to concentrate towards the center WITHOUT putting any attempt to heat the crankshaft threads (they will get warm/hot, but we really do not want that to happen here as we are trying to expand the metal of the flywheel and not the crankshaft taper) So heat it for about 10-15 minutes (patients) and then give it a sharp rap with a heavy hammer directly on the puller bolt under tension. It may even just release on its own while you are heating without the hammer blow)

Never get to prying around the sides of a flywheel with a crow bar or tire iron unless you are Gilligan stuck on an island with Ginger and MaryAnne (really not wanting to get the Minnow running any time soon)

PS, don't forget that the thing is going to be hot, so plan ahead and A) have some gloves or someway to handle it without getting burned, and B) have someplace to put it where you don't melt into your gelcoat... You should be able to handle it with the puller and a pair of gloves and a few layers of cardboard should be enough to protect the deck.

And I would probably regret not mentioning that just let it cool off naturally, there should be no need to dunk it in ice water or anything creative like that. You could always just pop it loose and then go enjoy a beer while it cools in place...
                              If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

Working...
                              X