Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F250 Overheat Question

Good forum!

I am running twin 2008 F250B's. Motors have app. 650 hours on them. Running out the other day, heard a buzzing sound that it took me a second to identify as the warning alarm. Looked down, and OVERHEAT was scrolling across gauge on motor. I immediately pulled the throttle back, shut down the engine, trimmed up, and checked for obstructions. None found, so I tilted the motor down, removed the cowl, and found both heads to be hotter than normal(although I could still keep hands on for 3 to 4 seconds). Started engine, ran fine the rest of the day and for the next three days straight. I am thinking temporary blockage on lower unit pickups from a bag/weeds that fell off when I shut it down? Thoughts?

Also...would an overheat cause potential damage? Engine ran as good as always since then, from idle all the way to WOT of 6000RPMs.

Finally, I was surprised that the alarm wasn't louder. It took a couple of seconds to distinguish it as the alarm. I am guessing this is normal? Also, the alarm was on for a couple seconds before I pulled the throttle back...should the reduced RPM mode have kicked in before then, or did I pull the throttle back before it had a chance to engage?

Thanks in advance.

The alarm will sound when temp sensor signals an overheat condition and within seconds the rpm reduction will activate(there is a delay after the alarm sounds). If you allow engine to cool down no engine damage will occur.
    If you haven't replaced water pumps in 650 hours they are overdue for replacement.
    Last edited by boats.net; 11-17-2009, 02:32 PM.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

overheating

yes the water pump and also if you are running in saltwater your thermastats and have the ports checked for any blockage yamahas are known for that same problem i had till i changed and cleaned engine

Comment

Working...
      X