04 T8 oil pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 04 T8 oil pressure

I have a 2004 T8PLRC I have rigged as a fully remotetely con*****ed kicker, and I have installed matching Teleflex analog gauges for it as well as for my 225 HP main. My problem is with the oil pressure sender. The sender that Teleflex sells is too large to fit under the cowling of the T8, even if I could find a place to install it at all, which seems apparently doubtful. I see from the parts catalog that there is an "oil pressure switch" that must operate the low oil light on the front of the motor (and alarm horn), and is apparently located under the flywheel.

1. My sense is that it (the pressure switch) probably won't effectively signal my analog oil pressure gauge. True??

2. If #1 is true, then I wonder if Yamaha makes or has access to a small sender that would signal my analog gauge, that I could replace the pressure switch with, and would still fit where the pressure switch is currently located??

Thanks

1. I had a look at pressure switch and its location. It should work with your guage cluster. After all its a pressure switch and not an oil level switch.

You can test it by using an Ohm meter. Ground the black lead, then hook the red lead up to the sending unit. Read the needle when the engine is not running. Then start the engine and check the reading. If you get a varying reading...ie the ohm meter goes up to half...it will work with your gauges. If it does not respond, it will not work.

If you cannot access the sending unit, just access the wire that leads from it.

I do not know of any other sending units offerd by Yamaha or Mercury for that matter that will work.

TMD

Comment

Roger that - thank you for the help; I'll test it this week and report back. My concern (in not knowing exactly how a "switch" might signal differently from a "sender"), was that the oil pressure switch might simply signal in an on or off fashion rather than in a graduated way. As I said, I will test as per your directions.

Comment

Working...
      X